Hatred for humanity

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Cyanade

Re: Hatred for humanity

#16 Post by Cyanade »

This reminds me of an actual person, Carl Panzram, a serial killer/rapist who famously said: “I hate the whole damned human race including myself”. He was a bad seed from the start but also had a very graphic and disturbing childhood which most definitely shaped his outlook. From beginning to end he had no remorse for any of his crimes. To death penalty opponents and human rights activists he said: "The only thanks you and your kind will ever get from me for your efforts on my behalf is that I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it." and to the executioner his final words were:"Yes, hurry it up, you Hoosier bastard! I could kill a dozen men while you're screwing around!". But it's a simple act of kindness that disarms him-a prison guard offering to buy him cigarettes. My conclusion is- He didn't see any good in humanity because he had never experienced it-no one had loved or cared for him in his life.

MI_Buddy
Regular
Projects: Breakdown, Showpony
Tumblr: joshpowlison
Deviantart: MI-Buddy
Github: joshpowlison
Soundcloud: joshpowlison
itch: joshpowlison

Re: Hatred for humanity

#17 Post by MI_Buddy »

I feel like an interesting study is the episode of the Twilight Zone, "It's a Good Life" (I talk about creating powerful threats by starting with a dark heart, even if the character seems weak in and of themselves, in this podcast episode here, although maybe it mirrors enough of this discussion to be nothing new). The episode has an evil little boy, puppetbomb's comment about two-year-olds made me think of it. The boy doesn't destroy the world, but he is evil and cruel (without the power he has, we might just consider him a troublemaker rather than cruel; but it's still cruel).

The perpetrator must believe that the benefit is greater than the cost, so two other ways they could handle this, combined or separate:

1. Overestimate the benefit
2. Underestimate the cost

1 could assume the world will be peaceful and happy afterwards, but will it? Violence exists outside of humanity. They're assuming people don't also create peace and harmony but only disrupt it. Will things really be better overall? Will things really be better in every way?
2 could be caused by ignoring or not understanding the personal trauma, struggle, etc they'll be inflicting. Or ignoring the good people do that will be lost.

They could also ignore or deny the the cost, or lie to themselves about the benefits. They don't have to deep down believe what they're saying. And the benefits and costs can be totally selfish (like most villains), or viewed as selfless (Thanos is a great example).

I love a lot of the thoughts on this page though, it's a really interesting topic IMO.
Writer/Programmer
KNs/VNS completed: Breakdown
KNs/VNs in development: Caravan, Project Foresight (working title)
Resources: Your Story Now!: YouTube series Showpony: web vn engine Free software list Free stock list