Any improvements to VN plot/script?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Vio-Alo
Completed: none ahahah a
Projects: Limerence Play
IRC Nick: Risa
Tumblr: vio-alo

Any improvements to VN plot/script?

#1 Post by Vio-Alo »

So I'm going to make a short lil' VN and I'd really appreciate thoughts/criticism on the script writing and overall plot! And since I'm no psychology major, It'd also be great if you could point out facts that I've gotten wrong! :D

So the name of the VN is Yellowfever!

The basic plot of the game is that you're a little girl called Nila, who befriends a wild beast in a nearby forest called Hue. You two form an uncanny friendship in each others' company after your mom kicks you out of the house for a few days.

Characters -

Nila (you) -

Basic synopsis of your personality;
You're a quiet and conservative girl who suffers from episodes as a result of being diagnosed with Yellowfever. You don't like the episodes. You say things you don't want to and laugh a lot. You also can't make those crocodiles in suits stop eating your limbs. Your mom works a busy job, and you guess people don't appreciate that, cause they treat her bad. You like to pretend she's ok. You like to pretend in general.

Detailed synopsis:

You suffer from schitzoaffective disorder (called Yellowfever in game), which is a type of mania where you suffer episodes where you have disorganized speech and hallucinations, with regular episodes which display symptoms of Mania (heightened mood, easily angered/aroused, violent). Your most often episode is where your dad (symbolized as a crocodile) and his co workers eat your legs. Because of this and your moms job, most kids tend to avoid you at school. The (useless) medicine is expensive in this part of town, especially since some of the cheaper shops refuse to sell to your mother.

Your hobbies are; visiting places, pretending your mom is okay, studying people, and reading the novels your mom leaves around.

You like; food, reading, being alone, nice conversations, cookies, the smell of vanilla, exploring, pretending and the scent of trees

You dislike; People who smile at you, rude people, grey clouds, hot/bright weather, rain, walls, cigarettes, candles, having an episode and confronting things.

Hue-

Short description;
Hue is a 'wild beast' who has Bluefever. He scares you sometimes and likes to talk about things your mom avoids like god and life. Maybe thats why you like him so much. He's really sad and sometimes thinks for you. He's weird and hates himself but I dont get how you can hate someone so nice. You think he's your age, 'cause his voice is high pitched. He's not a handsome wild beast like in your moms novels but thats ok. He's ok. And he makes you feel okay.

Detailed;
So Hue has depression, and continually runs away from home (escapes to the forest but returns to his house at night because he doesn't want to burden his wealthy father) and is suicidal. He likes to talk around Nila, as he has no one who'll listen to him. He's pretty smart, although only in strange subjects like philosophy and neurobiology. He also shows traits of paranoia, interrupting and denying any compliments or positive things said about him, or not replying at all. He is easily manipulated and taken control of, feeling a strong urge to protect or nurture over things he find vulnerable, as this was considered an unmanly trait at his home and he wasn't allowed to do anything of the sort there. He also likes being relied on, as it makes him feel important.

Alroight so those are the characters, I'm not quite done their character descriptions yet so I might update them!!

Parts of the script (I'll update more tomorrow)

My mother was best known for having an affair with religon

and seven other men.

She calls it 'the only damn job that'll hire her'

but

I miss her prescence at home.

Well, not really since she's always home

but

I miss her old prescence of vanilla and warm cookies

Now all she smells like is cigarette smoke

and I hate it

She wants me out of the house when she's doing her work

The papers require a lot of concentration, I guess

I can't complain though, it feeds me, keeps me alive

And it pays for my burdens

Slipping a pill down dry,

I push the front door open, guiding myself through grey walls of
alleyways

I reached a familiar dead end and climbed over it onto a forest.

People say that monsters live here, but I'd rather not believe them

People tend to twist meanings until there is none

So I spend my free time laying in this forest

Alone, away from the men and cheap scented candles, just the way I
like it.

I hear birds chirping, and trees towering so tall they block out the
grey sky.

Its a comfortable dark, unlike any dark I've ever known

Squirrels linger around small plants and worn-out tracks

I close my eyes, inhaling foreign scents

It's been a while since I found this place, but I still have yet to
get used to this environment.

I like to think of it as my new home.

There are a patch of leaves I like to rest my head in.

It might be unhygienic, but I find it comfortable

Closing my eyes, I felt myself floating into a quiet sleep

---

waking up, all I feel is the sensation of...

... fur?

Startled, I jump up and run away from whatever beast was trying to
suffocate and eat me

midway while running back home, I stop

what...

what if... that beast was a hot werewolf?

hm

It may not have been likely, but thats what all the main characters
of my mom's novels say before actually meeting a werewolf guy

so

I walk back, trying my best not to step on any leaves or sticks.

hiding behind the trunk of a tree, I look ahead to my patch of
leaves

aw

it's not a were-wolf, but a full-wolf

could it even be called a wolf?

I don't think wolves have yellow fur

Routes; (you dont need to read if you want to play the finished game)
So there'll be three possible routes! One route is an unhealthy relationship route, where you manipulate Hue and use him for your personal amusement, (such as scratching him when you're frustrated, hitting him, sexually assaulting him and blackmailing him to come back to the forest) A lovers route, where you both face the truth about your families and commit suicide together, or a true lovers route, where you two stay as friends/lovers, helping each other cope and swear to stay together forever (in a cute and totally healthy way)

Alright thats all I have for now but constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!! I'll add a bit more of the script tomorrow (especially Nila and Hue's conversations and character pictures) and even if you don't really want to add improvements or constructive criticism it would help if you commented whether or not this game seems boring! I think it kind of is :/ (from an audience perspective)