Word choice: Maou vs Maoh

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
andrewngn13
Regular
Projects: Recast

Word choice: Maou vs Maoh

#1 Post by andrewngn13 »

In the context of a typical fantasy world setting, the 'demon king' is popularly known as Maou or Maoh(at least in my experience). Is there a significant difference in which I use in the eye's of the reader?
"Feel feel to idea-bounce off me."
No, like seriously, just send a pm and I'll respond what I think. I'm open to reading anything.

Spacefur
Regular
Tumblr: studio-meh

Re: Word choice: Maou vs Maoh

#2 Post by Spacefur »

As a french person, Maou sounds very much like a cat meowing XD

CSV
Regular
Tumblr: csvidaldraws
Deviantart: csvidal
itch: csvidal

#3 Post by CSV »

I am assuming you are refering to those words in Japanese media. After a quick search on a Japanese dictionary, here is what I found:

魔王 (Maou) - (n) devil king

"Maho" does not seem to be a word in Japanese. As far as I know, it would it be impossible to even spell it that way, since the "h" sounds never appears alone, it's always something like "ha" or "ho". Is it possible you misheard the word "ma"?

魔 (Ma) - (n) demon; devil; evil spirit; evil influence

I hope this helps. =)

☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#4 Post by Taleweaver »

MaOH, not MaHO.

Personally, I prefer the -oh transcription to the -ou transcription. It's mostly because words with "ou" in them sound French to me - and I'm not even from France.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Miss Skizzors
Regular

#5 Post by Miss Skizzors »

Maou looked a lot like a Maori word to me, and I've never really liked the language. That's only by personal preference on the sound of the words though. Upon looking it up, Google claims that it's the Maori word for millionaire, so bear that in mind as you make your choice. Good luck with your project.

Pando
Regular
Projects: Crossfire
Organization: Agape Studios
IRC Nick: Pando
Github: Scylardor

#6 Post by Pando »

I would also go with Maoh.

Personally I think a writing like "Mao" (without the H) wouldn't shock me either, though yes, it is supposed to be a ō, really.
Perhaps because I always saw the name of Gyumao in Dragon Ball (mis)spelled like that. :lol:

Moreover...
Spacefur wrote:As a french person, Maou sounds very much like a cat meowing XD
This ! :mrgreen:

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#7 Post by Shinoki »

I personally prefer the Maou version.

The ou in Maou means king. It's the same as the Ou in Oujo (a way of saying princess, I suppose) and Ouji (prince). I wouldn't write Ouji-sama as Ohji-sama, so I wouldn't write Maou and Maoh.

It doesn't actually even matter that much. I would actually suggest you use the words "Demon King" instead of the Japanese term. It makes more one less term that the reader might have to search up.

(Also a bit of trivia, the Ma in Maou is also the character for Magic, thus the reason why sometimes, translators accidentally translate Maou into Magic King.)

Miss Skizzors
Regular

#8 Post by Miss Skizzors »

Shinoki wrote:I personally prefer the Maou version.
It doesn't actually even matter that much. I would actually suggest you use the words "Demon King" instead of the Japanese term. It makes more one less term that the reader might have to search up.
It's never too hard to include a translation, really. And just using "Demon King" sounds kind of odd.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#9 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Little late to the party, but ....

I prefer 'Maou', for the same reasons Shinoki listed. It is a matter of transcription, like Taleweaver stated. To me, personally, if I know it is a Japanese word, the 'u' after the vowel is telling me that the 'o' is a long vowel sound, and is meant to be held. The transcription of 'oh' is trying to get the same effect from English speakers. But that is bastardized Romaji, since 'oh' isn't officially a Romanized Japanese syllable.

In my mind, if you are going to keep using the Japanese word (instead of the translation - Demon King), I'd say use the official Romaji transcription syllables.

sharkmittens
Regular
Tumblr: corvhush
Soundcloud: corvhush

#10 Post by sharkmittens »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Little late to the party, but ....

I prefer 'Maou', for the same reasons Shinoki listed. It is a matter of transcription, like Taleweaver stated. To me, personally, if I know it is a Japanese word, the 'u' after the vowel is telling me that the 'o' is a long vowel sound, and is meant to be held. The transcription of 'oh' is trying to get the same effect from English speakers. But that is bastardized Romaji, since 'oh' isn't officially a Romanized Japanese syllable.

In my mind, if you are going to keep using the Japanese word (instead of the translation - Demon King), I'd say use the official Romaji transcription syllables.
this!

'ou' is the prolonged vowel sound; you'll only see it written as 'oh'
in english versions that don't particularly understand how romaji
should be portrayed. it's also very typical of japanese > english
translators who think 'oh' would be the right way to translate it
back to english, when in reality we already have the 'ou' to describe
what's happening there.