Writing Clarification?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
dfbreezy
Regular
Completed: Episicava, Analistica Academy.
Projects: Rainbow dreams, ADV Tale, A Noble Conquest.
Organization: Epicworks
Deviantart: Epic-works
Soundcloud: Epic_Works
itch: epic-works

Writing Clarification?

#1 Post by dfbreezy »

So i'm writing a story that's themed about war and despair. It's called Episicava. Let me get straight to the point;

1. Each of the four heroines are diverse in character, but have one same trait. The person who leads their race has some family ties to each of them, some through blood, and others through adoption. In the final fight at the end of the war, they will kill each of the leaders respectively after a hard fought battle. Now my problem is, is this advisable? not just the battle, but the relation to the 'last bosses'? Unfortunately i can't be too explicit, as you're all potential readers so please try to understand.

2. Each continent has it's own strife and hardships that's related to their inherent power. Fulgurhad the drug trade and the insurgents. Tribus had the alpha wolves. Militum had the Clades (think of giant snakes with a proboscis as a mouth that injects anti-Preacantator poison.), Now i'm at Salutem and i don't know what inherent sub-villain to give them. (For a clearer understanding of the plot please check out the link in my signature. Sorry for that but i want to keep this post as compact as possible :( ) Any ideas for me?

3.There are alot of sub-plot elements and key facts that are overlooked when reading but have an impact on the story later on. I want to know if this is appealing to readers?
an e.g from Episicava would be That the Unnamed Cougar and his Informant are linked, even though both are treated as majorly unimportant. Basically i'm going for that 'Damn, I should've known' kinda feel.

4.Now about the war. I have it all planned out but i want to be sure about something... Let me give a little insight. The war you're probably thinking about involves two sides with army commanders and brave soldiers taking up arms to defend their country. Or even a Monarch bravely leading his troops to battle. unfortunately this isn't like that. This war involves A young man and 5 girls versus every damn soldier the world has to offer. Also, to not go into too much detail let me be explicit.
Should they adopt a central location and defend while struggling? Or should they be mobile through all the continents and struggle?

Thanks for your time in reading this!
ImageImage ImageImage

TheJerminator15
Regular
Completed: A Sedentary Fist
Projects: Manipulation, Switch Swap, Unnamed Project
itch: jamsandwich

Re: Writing Clarification?

#2 Post by TheJerminator15 »

dfbreezy wrote:So i'm writing a story that's themed about war and despair. It's called Episicava. Let me get straight to the point;

1. Each of the four heroines are diverse in character, but have one same trait. The person who leads their race has some family ties to each of them, some through blood, and others through adoption. In the final fight at the end of the war, they will kill each of the leaders respectively after a hard fought battle. Now my problem is, is this advisable? not just the battle, but the relation to the 'last bosses'? Unfortunately i can't be too explicit, as you're all potential readers so please try to understand.

2. Each continent has it's own strife and hardships that's related to their inherent power. Fulgurhad the drug trade and the insurgents. Tribus had the alpha wolves. Militum had the Clades (think of giant snakes with a proboscis as a mouth that injects anti-Preacantator poison.), Now i'm at Salutem and i don't know what inherent sub-villain to give them. (For a clearer understanding of the plot please check out the link in my signature. Sorry for that but i want to keep this post as compact as possible :( ) Any ideas for me?

3.There are alot of sub-plot elements and key facts that are overlooked when reading but have an impact on the story later on. I want to know if this is appealing to readers?
an e.g from Episicava would be That the Unnamed Cougar and his Informant are linked, even though both are treated as majorly unimportant. Basically i'm going for that 'Damn, I should've known' kinda feel.

4.Now about the war. I have it all planned out but i want to be sure about something... Let me give a little insight. The war you're probably thinking about involves two sides with army commanders and brave soldiers taking up arms to defend their country. Or even a Monarch bravely leading his troops to battle. unfortunately this isn't like that. This war involves A young man and 5 girls versus every damn soldier the world has to offer. Also, to not go into too much detail let me be explicit.
Should they adopt a central location and defend while struggling? Or should they be mobile through all the continents and struggle?

Thanks for your time in reading this!
The relation to the last bosses sounds good in all honesty, it mainly depends on execution. If you want there to be that tension and drama since they are essentially murdering family, you have to spend time fleshing out their relationships. Whether this is done through flashbacks every now and then or through something like side stories is up to you. If you have a solid plan on how to execute it, I advise it. If not, then I don't.

For your second point, you could always have a small internal struggle between two political factions going whilst the war is occurring. It could be something like a small faction attempting a coup for various reasons, whilst the rest are desperately trying to maintain stability in the region.

Once again if it's done properly with good enough execution those sort of elements can be great for a story. You could also foreshadow with the Unnamed Cougar and Informant beforehand through slight hints at their relationship in their respectve dialogues which lets readers have a chance to bring parts of the puzzle together before it occurs. Like their relatinship for example whilst the rest is still shrouded in mystery. However, if it isn't really foreshadowed and just comes out of nowhere it can feel very out of place and forced.

6 people vs Entire Armies? Holding down an outpost or stronghold with that number would be pretty much impossible to do in the long term, even if they were all very powerful. I'd suggest them using much more guerrilla focused tactics. They survey the land, map out terrain and scout encampments etc. Lay out traps and the like. Guerilla warfares entire point is a small squad taking on entire armies at points. You lay out traps along supply lines to slow down their resources, use your squad's light numbers to move around far quickly (moving armies takes far longer) and use the terrain you know to do small strikes, cause confusion among ranks etc. If you a fighter who can say summon animals, spirits or control them for example, you can use those controlling powers to send them frenzying into encampments of aenemies and pick off squads as they disperse in confusion. Another example is say a mage who can control weather, you can mess with the weather so that troops are affected by weather they very rarely experience which messes them up. If you're travelling across multiple regions scouting and mastering terrain use is imperative for small squads against overwhelming numbers. Plus, you could also add in negotiations with say mercernary leaders etc where if you have enough gold you can pay them to co-ordinate attacks with you, which also bolsters your numbers.
My Current Writing Project: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37699
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk

dfbreezy
Regular

#3 Post by dfbreezy »

TheJerminator15 wrote: The relation to the last bosses sounds good in all honesty, it mainly depends on execution. If you want there to be that tension and drama since they are essentially murdering family, you have to spend time fleshing out their relationships. Whether this is done through flashbacks every now and then or through something like side stories is up to you. If you have a solid plan on how to execute it, I advise it. If not, then I don't.
Yeah, i made sure to give a partial flesh out of their relationships. How they came to be related, how they were brought up etc. I will expand on it in part 5 (the war chapter) before the battles. apart from what will be done in the heroine routes, each heroine will be fleshed out fully during the war, explaining their hardships and why they agreed to follow on man on his suicide quest. it's actually only part 5 that will contain the most despair and sorrow out of the rest.
TheJerminator15 wrote: For your second point, you could always have a small internal struggle between two political factions going whilst the war is occurring. It could be something like a small faction attempting a coup for various reasons, whilst the rest are desperately trying to maintain stability in the region.
That was my first thought to be honest. But i hesitated because that's what i did for Fulgur with the Insurgents. So i didn't want to be become repetitive with my story elements, and here i am today with writer's block. Annoyingly it's not for the want of ideas, but because i don't know where to go.
TheJerminator15 wrote: Once again if it's done properly with good enough execution those sort of elements can be great for a story. You could also foreshadow with the Unnamed Cougar and Informant beforehand through slight hints at their relationship in their respectve dialogues which lets readers have a chance to bring parts of the puzzle together before it occurs. Like their relatinship for example whilst the rest is still shrouded in mystery. However, if it isn't really foreshadowed and just comes out of nowhere it can feel very out of place and forced.
Foreshadowing is a very great idea. I think i will use it in the chapter before part 5, because that's when our seemingly unimportant side character shows how important she is/was to the plot.

TheJerminator15 wrote: 6 people vs Entire Armies? Holding down an outpost or stronghold with that number would be pretty much impossible to do in the long term, even if they were all very powerful. I'd suggest them using much more guerrilla focused tactics. They survey the land, map out terrain and scout encampments etc. Lay out traps and the like. Guerilla warfares entire point is a small squad taking on entire armies at points. You lay out traps along supply lines to slow down their resources, use your squad's light numbers to move around far quickly (moving armies takes far longer) and use the terrain you know to do small strikes, cause confusion among ranks etc. If you a fighter who can say summon animals, spirits or control them for example, you can use those controlling powers to send them frenzying into encampments of enemies and pick off squads as they disperse in confusion. Another example is say a mage who can control weather, you can mess with the weather so that troops are affected by weather they very rarely experience which messes them up. If you're travelling across multiple regions scouting and mastering terrain use is imperative for small squads against overwhelming numbers. Plus, you could also add in negotiations with say mercenary leaders etc where if you have enough gold you can pay them to co-ordinate attacks with you, which also bolsters your numbers.
Yeah you do have a point here. they are much stronger than the powered forces in each of their races, but even with that they would still find it difficult to hold off speedsters, elementals, superhumans and Beastmen. And alos Given the protagonists pragmatic nature and how he likes to analyse things to the last detail, guerilla warfare would suit him.

Thank You very much theJerminator15 for your help! i'll be sure to mull over this properly.
ImageImage ImageImage

TheJerminator15
Regular
Completed: A Sedentary Fist
Projects: Manipulation, Switch Swap, Unnamed Project
itch: jamsandwich

#4 Post by TheJerminator15 »

Ah I see what you mean regarding the Fulgur and it being quite similar. In that case, since Salutem represents humanity in it's most base form, you could instead have the main villain be the culture itself. Everybody focuses on strength and because of this the constant infighting and such is starting to lead the region to crumble under itself and the constantly changing leadership etc. That way it also allows for commentary as well, things like "overwhelming strength is only good if you have the ability and mentality to control it" and such. You could have Kato constantly run in with them during their stay in Salutem, and them eventually learning how to properly utilize their powers as a team instead of charging through everything. It would be different as there is no "enemy" so to speak of but considering the large scope of your world and story I think it would be quite different to the rest of the regions/arcs which could also help it stand out in what you say is an action heavy VN.

Good luck on your project though, the scope whilst large is incredibly interesting and I very much look forward to you releasing this game. Big worlds like in this are right up my alley.
My Current Writing Project: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37699
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk

RotGtIE
Veteran

#5 Post by RotGtIE »

Now my problem is, is this advisable? not just the battle, but the relation to the 'last bosses'? Unfortunately i can't be too explicit, as you're all potential readers so please try to understand.
You already told us that the heroines all have some kind of family tie to each other and that the party will assassinate most of their world's leaders by the end of their journey. Frankly, I think it's a bit too late to be concerned about spoilers.

When I think of a large scale purge of world leaders, I think of the fourth chapter of Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions. It's an apocalyptic end to a reign of war and chaos caused by excessive political maneuvering. In the real world, most of the nobility or leadership being killed is generally done in an all-out savage revolution such as was seen in France or Russia. Killing off a lot of world leaders generally doesn't happen outside of this bloody context, and so whether you intend to or not, this will be the tone that your readers will probably experience when they see a lot of heads of state being chopped off all at once. It's a pretty melancholic way to settle the dust.
Each continent has it's own strife and hardships that's related to their inherent power...Any ideas for me?
Pull from history. The less your story departs from realistic events and aspects of the world we live in, the less you have to explain to the reader. The less explaining you have to do, the less likely you are to confuse and annoy your readers (I still have no idea what your snake-proboscis people are, other than weird) and the more you can focus your attention on storytelling rather than worldbuilding.
There are alot of sub-plot elements and key facts that are overlooked when reading but have an impact on the story later on.
Sounds like you're describing Chekhov's Gun. Not a bad choice if you can pull it off.
The war you're probably thinking about involves two sides with army commanders and brave soldiers taking up arms to defend their country. Or even a Monarch bravely leading his troops to battle. unfortunately this isn't like that. This war involves A young man and 5 girls versus every damn soldier the world has to offer. Also, to not go into too much detail let me be explicit.
There is absolutely, positively no way for six people to take on and defeat even a single army, let alone all the armies of the world, in a direct confrontation. Again, look to the real world and its history to find examples of how small numbers of people contribute to a war when they are likely to be outnumbered in any combat situation. The 20th century calls these kinds of people commandos or special forces. These people do not engage in slugging it out with the enemy in pitched battles on the front line, but rather tend to insert themselves deep behind enemy lines to raid in areas that are both critical and poorly defended by an enemy who is unprepared to face opposition in the target location.

Paratroopers were used in WW2 with mixed success. Their primary purpose was to drop in behind the main enemy positions so as to disrupt and prevent reinforcements from reaching the line of battle while the main force was engaging the enemy in a direct assault. This was an extremely dangerous ploy, as these paratroopers could only bring enough supplies and men with them to stall the enemy for a short while - they were counting on the main friendly force to be able to break through the enemy quickly enough to reach and relieve the besieged paratroopers before they themselves could be overwhelmed by the enemy reinforcements they were acting to hamper. If the friendly assault didn't make it through in time, the whole lot of the paratroopers were certain to be ground down and killed or captured by a very frustrated enemy.

If you want to have a story about a handful of people having a great influence on a major conflict, I recommend you do research into commando and special operations and apply some of their strategies to the operations of your party. To use another example from War of the Lions, Ramza and his small party rescue the soldiers of two armies from slaughtering each other by opening a sluice in a huge dam to flood the field of battle so that the armies cannot even fight. Since the main forces were rallying for the battle, he only had to fight through a small garrison to open up the floodgates, causing a huge effect on a significant world event with a minimum of manpower. If you plan to have a handful of heroes best entire armies, you should be prepared to have them do things like this so that they can punch above their weight.
So i didn't want to be become repetitive with my story elements, and here i am today with writer's block.
More often than not, writer's block is caused by two core problems: you've lost track of the purpose and narrative of the story you were trying to tell, and/or you ventured into having to write about a topic on which you have too little knowledge to execute competently.

In the case of the former, the prescription is simple but difficult: get back to the point. You might be bogged down in the minutia of worldbuilding and that may be distracting you from focusing on delivering the actual story you set out to tell. How important is it that every nation state in your world have a completely different political problem unique to itself apart from the others? How necessary is developing the geopolitics of all the world's nations in developing and progressing the plot through which your characters will navigate? Depending on where your efforts have been focused, you may either need to back off from or dive deeper into your worldbuilding to get back on task and advance your story so that you can entertain the reader. Keep your eye on the ball and don't lose sight of the primary purpose of your narrative.

In the case of the latter, the solution is even simpler. If you are having a difficult time writing to a topic because you don't know enough about it, you have two options - avoid and bypass the subject, or conduct research into the subject until you can write competently enough about it to advance your story. I consider this to be one of the more fun tasks involved in writing. Directly engaging with a topic so that you can write about it is a great way to self-educate, and in the age of the internet, you really have no barriers to learning. You can learn about the timeline of an entire war or the technical aspects of a skilled labor profession using slightly more effort than you expend in rolling out of bed and scratching your behind. There was a time not so long ago when conducting research for writing wasn't anywhere near that easy. Embrace the advantage of modern technology and expand your base of knowledge so that you can competently write what you know. Your stories will improve greatly as a result.

Without further detail, that's about the best I can do for you. Best of luck.

dfbreezy
Regular

#6 Post by dfbreezy »

rotGIE wrote: There is absolutely, positively no way for six people to take on and defeat even a single army, let alone all the armies of the world, in a direct confrontation. Again, look to the real world and its history to find examples of how small numbers of people contribute to a war when they are likely to be outnumbered in any combat situation. The 20th century calls these kinds of people commandos or special forces. These people do not engage in slugging it out with the enemy in pitched battles on the front line, but rather tend to insert themselves deep behind enemy lines to raid in areas that are both critical and poorly defended by an enemy who is unprepared to face opposition in the target location.

Paratroopers were used in WW2 with mixed success. Their primary purpose was to drop in behind the main enemy positions so as to disrupt and prevent reinforcements from reaching the line of battle while the main force was engaging the enemy in a direct assault. This was an extremely dangerous ploy, as these paratroopers could only bring enough supplies and men with them to stall the enemy for a short while - they were counting on the main friendly force to be able to break through the enemy quickly enough to reach and relieve the besieged paratroopers before they themselves could be overwhelmed by the enemy reinforcements they were acting to hamper. If the friendly assault didn't make it through in time, the whole lot of the paratroopers were certain to be ground down and killed or captured by a very frustrated enemy.

If you want to have a story about a handful of people having a great influence on a major conflict, I recommend you do research into commando and special operations and apply some of their strategies to the operations of your party. To use another example from War of the Lions, Ramza and his small party rescue the soldiers of two armies from slaughtering each other by opening a sluice in a huge dam to flood the field of battle so that the armies cannot even fight. Since the main forces were rallying for the battle, he only had to fight through a small garrison to open up the floodgates, causing a huge effect on a significant world event with a minimum of manpower. If you plan to have a handful of heroes best entire armies, you should be prepared to have them do things like this so that they can punch above their weight.
This would have been true if they were all on equal terms in relation to power. To be simple Let's take Alacria and the people of fulgur. now let's give a random unit of measurement.

Let's say a common Fulgur citizen's power level is 1 fulgurian.

if that's the case then a trained fulgurian captain would have about 20 fulgrians.

But Alacria would probably have a power level of 400 Fulgurians. This is due to elements that would be explained in the story of course. and that goes for all the heroines.

they're leagues above their races in terms of power. And then comes Arin. Arin is also leagues above the heroines.

To use the same fulgurian scale, he would be around 10000 fulgurians if he goes all out. Yes that's an outrageous number. No i didn't just type a big number in randomly.

He could clear a whole army with half of his Full power. But in this case he can't because our baddie knows the full extent of his power and has a few anti-Arin traps in store. Well to keep it short the war would be more than just guerilla tactics. there would be a minuscule battle of wits and lots of espionage.

But the key feature would be despair. even with all that power they get pushed into a corner.

why you ask? Well stay tuned to the story to find out.

From what You and Jerminator have given me I've finally gotten some fresh inspiration, because you guys reminded me about what i wanted to war to represent not how flashy it should be. Thanks alot for your advice and Assistance brothers!
ImageImage ImageImage

RotGtIE
Veteran

#7 Post by RotGtIE »

Hoo boy, power levels. You may have just gone and overcomplicated things for yourself with that one.

With the introduction of power levels, the entire physics of your world must see a complete upheaval and a total departure from reality such that we would scarcely be able to recognize very many - if any - occurrences within it. The dominance of this system of Fulgurians would be the primary feature in warfare and likely industry and economy as well. Given this unavoidable aspect of the world in question, Occam's Razor is ready to do a number on some of the highly implausible elements that exist within it.

If I wanted to sass you, I would ask a few questions like "How many Fulgurians would it take to survive a volley from a 150-man musket line," "What is the amount of high explosive necessary to dismember a five-hundred-Fulgurian person," or "How many dump trucks do I need to drop on a ten-thousand-Fulgurian man to squish him like a bug?" Well, I'm sassing you about it now, because I can guarantee you that your audience will be doing it while they are reading your story. The moment you introduce them to the capabilities of a high Fulgurian level in a single combatant, they are going to be perplexed by the existence of such an obsolete entity as an "army" in such a world. Why would any king raise an army of, say, ten thousand pikemen - all with hungry bellies, unwashed bodies, and bad morale - to conquer his enemies and defend his territory when the far superior option would simply be to go the way of Saitama until nothing can possibly outmatch him? Why bother paying all those salaries when one guy could just sweep your entire force aside with a single anticlimactic punch?

What is a Fulgurian, and how is it measured? Is it a weight of mass, a speed of movement, or a unit of energy? How does a Fulgurian compare to the release of energy caused by breaking apart Adenosine Triphosphate? What is the size of a Fulgurian, and how can a single humanoid body be capable of storing either one or ten-thousand of these things without bursting at the seams? If the power in a Fulgurian is such that a single human body containing ten-thousand of them could destroy an entire army of men, has anybody thought to construct an engine fueled by Fulgurian power sources? Are there power plants staffed by high-Fulgurian people who use their power to light entire cities at night on a daily basis? Are there tanks, planes, and ships powered by high-Fulgurian crew in their engine blocks? Have nations developed intercontinental ballistic missiles whose warheads contain high-Fulgurian kamikazes willing to use their powers to flatten the cities and fortresses of their enemies?

What are the social implications of such incredible disparities in Fulgurian power between people? Do the mere one-Fulgurian peasants fall to their knees in daily worship of the ten-thousand Fulgurian gods who could exterminate an entire army of them by merely exerting half of their ten-thousand Fulgurian might? Are there temples constructed to honor such massively powerful creatures and rituals of appeasement conducted within them? Are there national holidays dedicated to these gods among men, and do people regularly sacrifice goats, crops, and first-born virgins to them?

Why would anyone ever conceal such power? Who would dare to oppose such an unstoppable force? What would prevent a person who is ten-thousand strong in Fulgurium from simply anointing himself as the king of the world, save for another ten-thousand Fulgurian rival? What could he possibly have to fear from something so piddling as an army? What piddling army would even bother to oppose him when defeat is so certain?

This creates a narrative problem slightly larger than an Xbox controller. How could any reader possibly relate to such a godlike creature as the story's protagonist? What struggle could he be required to overcome? What adversity could conceivably stand in the way of his goals? How is the audience expected to see him as anything but a big bully stomping around in a world of ants? What tension could be found in a story whose protagonist is possessed of such godly power?

I'm brought to recall Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! One of the characters, Kawakami Momoyo, is depicted as being so insanely powerful in combat that she regularly defeats, with little effort, entire gangs of hardened thugs and martial artists who have dedicated their lives to their training. These developments left me to wonder why anybody in Majikoi's world even bothered forming gangs in the first place, or why they would undergo rigorous training - clearly, the true path to power is to be an attractive young woman who has a close relationship with the protagonist. It's silly, it breaks immersion, prevents the audience from becoming invested in the characters or what happens to them, and every plot development, especially combat or competition related, simply comes down to a matter of "time to figure out which of his own characters the author likes better."

In Elfen Lied, a rare new type of human, the Diclonius, makes an entry into a world that is otherwise similar to our own. Diclonii are horned people who have invisible appendages which can reach out several meters to grab, slice, and crush anything in their radius. The setting immediately addresses these capabilities by having the world react to them in a plausible way. Diclonii children often murder their parents while they are testing their powers out of playful curiosity, and are either killed by police or captured and brought to extremely high security installations where they are monitored under extremely careful conditions. Diclonii spread by contaminating people they come into contact with, causing them to create more Diclonii when they reproduce. Again, the world responds by placing both Diclonii and those affected by them under strict quarantine, given the extreme threat factor they represent to ordinary people. While Elfen Lied does not flawlessly execute the implementation of a supernatural element into an otherwise mundane world setting, it gets a lot of things right - the world would not simply go on largely unaffected by such a tremendous change to its internal rules.

I would urge you to consider very carefully how strongly your power levels would change the sociopolitical dynamics, technological progress, and even the entire physics of your universe. You run the risk of ejecting your audience from their willing suspension of disbelief, at best.

dfbreezy
Regular

#8 Post by dfbreezy »

RotGtIE wrote:Hoo boy, power levels. You may have just gone and overcomplicated things for yourself with that one.

With the introduction of power levels, the entire physics of your world must see a complete upheaval and a total departure from reality such that we would scarcely be able to recognize very many - if any - occurrences within it. The dominance of this system of Fulgurians would be the primary feature in warfare and likely industry and economy as well. Given this unavoidable aspect of the world in question, Occam's Razor is ready to do a number on some of the highly implausible elements that exist within it.

If I wanted to sass you, I would ask a few questions like "How many Fulgurians would it take to survive a volley from a 150-man musket line," "What is the amount of high explosive necessary to dismember a five-hundred-Fulgurian person," or "How many dump trucks do I need to drop on a ten-thousand-Fulgurian man to squish him like a bug?" Well, I'm sassing you about it now, because I can guarantee you that your audience will be doing it while they are reading your story. The moment you introduce them to the capabilities of a high Fulgurian level in a single combatant, they are going to be perplexed by the existence of such an obsolete entity as an "army" in such a world. Why would any king raise an army of, say, ten thousand pikemen - all with hungry bellies, unwashed bodies, and bad morale - to conquer his enemies and defend his territory when the far superior option would simply be to go the way of Saitama until nothing can possibly outmatch him? Why bother paying all those salaries when one guy could just sweep your entire force aside with a single anticlimactic punch?

What is a Fulgurian, and how is it measured? Is it a weight of mass, a speed of movement, or a unit of energy? How does a Fulgurian compare to the release of energy caused by breaking apart Adenosine Triphosphate? What is the size of a Fulgurian, and how can a single humanoid body be capable of storing either one or ten-thousand of these things without bursting at the seams? If the power in a Fulgurian is such that a single human body containing ten-thousand of them could destroy an entire army of men, has anybody thought to construct an engine fueled by Fulgurian power sources? Are there power plants staffed by high-Fulgurian people who use their power to light entire cities at night on a daily basis? Are there tanks, planes, and ships powered by high-Fulgurian crew in their engine blocks? Have nations developed intercontinental ballistic missiles whose warheads contain high-Fulgurian kamikazes willing to use their powers to flatten the cities and fortresses of their enemies?

What are the social implications of such incredible disparities in Fulgurian power between people? Do the mere one-Fulgurian peasants fall to their knees in daily worship of the ten-thousand Fulgurian gods who could exterminate an entire army of them by merely exerting half of their ten-thousand Fulgurian might? Are there temples constructed to honor such massively powerful creatures and rituals of appeasement conducted within them? Are there national holidays dedicated to these gods among men, and do people regularly sacrifice goats, crops, and first-born virgins to them?

Why would anyone ever conceal such power? Who would dare to oppose such an unstoppable force? What would prevent a person who is ten-thousand strong in Fulgurium from simply anointing himself as the king of the world, save for another ten-thousand Fulgurian rival? What could he possibly have to fear from something so piddling as an army? What piddling army would even bother to oppose him when defeat is so certain?

This creates a narrative problem slightly larger than an Xbox controller. How could any reader possibly relate to such a godlike creature as the story's protagonist? What struggle could he be required to overcome? What adversity could conceivably stand in the way of his goals? How is the audience expected to see him as anything but a big bully stomping around in a world of ants? What tension could be found in a story whose protagonist is possessed of such godly power?

I'm brought to recall Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! One of the characters, Kawakami Momoyo, is depicted as being so insanely powerful in combat that she regularly defeats, with little effort, entire gangs of hardened thugs and martial artists who have dedicated their lives to their training. These developments left me to wonder why anybody in Majikoi's world even bothered forming gangs in the first place, or why they would undergo rigorous training - clearly, the true path to power is to be an attractive young woman who has a close relationship with the protagonist. It's silly, it breaks immersion, prevents the audience from becoming invested in the characters or what happens to them, and every plot development, especially combat or competition related, simply comes down to a matter of "time to figure out which of his own characters the author likes better."

In Elfen Lied, a rare new type of human, the Diclonius, makes an entry into a world that is otherwise similar to our own. Diclonii are horned people who have invisible appendages which can reach out several meters to grab, slice, and crush anything in their radius. The setting immediately addresses these capabilities by having the world react to them in a plausible way. Diclonii children often murder their parents while they are testing their powers out of playful curiosity, and are either killed by police or captured and brought to extremely high security installations where they are monitored under extremely careful conditions. Diclonii spread by contaminating people they come into contact with, causing them to create more Diclonii when they reproduce. Again, the world responds by placing both Diclonii and those affected by them under strict quarantine, given the extreme threat factor they represent to ordinary people. While Elfen Lied does not flawlessly execute the implementation of a supernatural element into an otherwise mundane world setting, it gets a lot of things right - the world would not simply go on largely unaffected by such a tremendous change to its internal rules.

I would urge you to consider very carefully how strongly your power levels would change the sociopolitical dynamics, technological progress, and even the entire physics of your universe. You run the risk of ejecting your audience from their willing suspension of disbelief, at best.

That's very true rotGIE, but like i said the fulgurian measurement is random and is not used in the story. it was just the first thing off the top of my head that i thought i could use to explain the superiority of our main characters to the common man.

Also while the social implications will affect the world, that would only happen if there were other's with such power. Apart from the world leaders who are leagues above the rest, every other person is as average as possible. To pick it out of the story, A full grown Fulgarian man would only be able to power up a small house. The common man is weak... think Dragon ballz. Compare Goku and The rest to the humans when they go to the world tournament.

The trained captain however can materialize electricity as a weapon, whether by adding it's properties to a weapon or imbuing it to himself. and that's the highest they could reach.

Apart from the characters with faces, no one else can match up to their 'power level'. Things like that won't be used in the story literally. Every one of the heroines has a special reason why their leagues above the common man which forms a part of their backstory and grief.

As for Arin being almost godlike, i won't go too much into that as that would ruin my biggest plot device. as for how he can be dealt with or what could possibly hinder him i'll need to explain the reason for my story.

Now one trend we all know about our favorite Protagonists is;

1. "I am weak, i am too weak to do anything by myself. but even so i will fight, because my friends and my bond with comrades give me strength."
2. "I can't agree to that, even if it's efficient killing people is wrong. If you continue to do this i will deny you!"

Now this trend touches hearts because we can all relate one way or another. But i didn't like it, so i will write a story with inverse principles. (these are words taken from Arin's dialogue and narration)

1. "Hmph. Do not assume me to be as weak as you are. I have power, and i will use it."
2. "killing is only wrong when you are accused by someone stronger than you. Since you aren't stronger than me, i'll kill you instead."

that basically sums up Arin. he has the power, and he lacks the morality. So how does one defeat an individual with such grandiose power?

Simple. You attack his one and only weakness. the weakness every human possesses regardless of strength, personality or nature. You attack his Humanity.

He may be very powerful, but at the end of the day he's only human and humans are inherently weak.
ImageImage ImageImage

RotGtIE
Veteran

#9 Post by RotGtIE »

You seem confident that you've accounted for the effects these power disparities should have in your setting, and it looks like you've got a clear purpose and message to your story.

Not for nothing, my criticism was worded pretty harshly, and you took it sportingly. That resilience will serve you and your team well.