Overarching Plot or Not! VN Dating Sim question

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Raiju
Projects: Not All Blossoms Come in Spring

Overarching Plot or Not! VN Dating Sim question

#1 Post by Raiju »

So, I have a few VNs that I'm planning to work on.
One that I've done extensive planning for (as well as written a draft for the main route before decisions kick in), involves a MC and 4 romance-able partners. I have their jobs chosen, I've got some endings planned out, but... I'm at a loss.
I feel like there should be an overarching plot, but I'm not sure if there should, and what it would be. I don't want to do anything too drastic (like I've been leaning to, considering my love of destruction hehe), but I'm not sure what else would constitute a way in which to drag all these characters together, besides the MC moving for his job, and wanting to find love. I want something more, but I'm unsure how to do it.
So, I have come to ask you all, so see if there's an answer somewhere.
The story takes place in a modern era, in a medium-sized city near the ocean (I was thinking before a really bad typhoon comes and knocks out the power, and people have to rely on each other to survive, but man... it seems to bleak for the story I have in mind. I still like it though, but not for this VN). And, by the way, it's a BL VN. So. Yeah. Sorry about withholding that info till the end. What's different about this one compared to others is that I've decided that the MC plays as the top, or 'seme', instead of the bottom or 'uke' as many VNs (like Nitro+Chiral) do. I don't know if this info will help or not, and if you need more info, please ask me!
And thank you!!

Parataxis
Regular
Projects: Shadow City, Scribbles!
Tumblr: asktheprismguard

Re: Overarching Plot or Not! VN Dating Sim question

#2 Post by Parataxis »

Well, maybe instead of having an external event, your main character has a fundamental motivation which provides an overarching plot? I've toyed with an Otome idea that basically has that structure, with the main character is a new Holiday working hard to establish herself in Calender City (or she disappears) and that the various love interests provide conflict and complications along the road. Having your main character have an aspiration or a goal (even one without quite the stakes of "existentially vanish") which underlies all the routes might be a good way to tie everything together.

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#3 Post by YonYonYon »

You don't really have to have an overarching plot. You can do the "choose your LI" in the beginning and tell us 4 different stories.
You have the MC who got a new job and wants love, which are good setting and motivation. Mix the LIs into there with their own motivations and show us what happens. Show us how do they fall in love, and it'll be enough for a story in the romance genre. For writing romance I'd recommend the book Romancing the Beat by Gwen Hayes, it's a short and simple book about the structure of fictional romance. Very helpful.

If you must have an overarching plot, then the obvious solution is the new job. It's the perfect source of conflict. The MC can and should struggle to fit into the collective, there can be a sudden job related problem and he must solve it, etc.
ImageImage

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

Raiju wrote: The story takes place in a modern era, in a medium-sized city near the ocean (I was thinking before a really bad typhoon comes and knocks out the power, and people have to rely on each other to survive, but man... it seems too bleak for the story I have in mind. I still like it though, but not for this VN).
That's one way to bring characters together. It answers questions such as "Why do the characters stay in this location?" and "What's keeping them from interacting with other people?" If you want to write a story about characters surviving a disaster, that is fine. You can approach it in a less than serious manner.

Keep in mind that your premise is kind of similar to Swan Song. That visual novel is often downbeat and depressing. There are many, many other stories in different media about surviving disasters. Some of them are meant to be amusing, and others portray real-world horror.

Raiju

#5 Post by Raiju »

Hmm... I definitely didn't think about some of that. I'm used to toying with vast concepts and intertwining plot points for things such as novels, and I have to say, sometimes simple is best... and something I'm not that good at, to be honest. Though, it doesn't have to be that simple in retrospect. I do like the idea of maybe having the guys new job being a connecting source for the MC, and having each character with their own inspirations being a possible source of conflict. Having that as the overarching concept seems like good idea, in that respect.
I'll also have to check out Swan Song... its concept seems interesting, and may prove useful for another project. That info helped me to narrow down what it was that I wanted to include within the VN. Thank you!
And, I had originally planned for the player being able to choose which character they wish to pursue, after a short "main route" introduction. Whether or not I make a neutral route (not pursuing any of the characters) is another discussion, but I definitely want the player to pick which character, rather than play too much of a guessing game to get the character they want. The endings, however, are another thing.
I'll also check out that book... I'm not that good at romance, but I have some game/VN experience, and I could do more research to help with that. This adds to the pile of reference stuffs I have collected.
Once again, thank you so much for helping! I really appreciate it!
Now to write out the full thing...

fmjaye
Regular
Projects: Blackout City (webcomic)
Tumblr: fakemagicjaye

#6 Post by fmjaye »

Having an external event like a natural disaster to tie everything together seems less like a plot thing and more like a character development thing (like, "how do each of these characters react differently in this situation?").
But I definitely like the idea of their being an overarching plot, particularly the kind of thing you need to piece together by playing all the routes. (Although I have no recommendations for what it could be... ;w;; )

Honestly for visual novels, I don't think something simple is best. Not that I'm opposed to simple stories in general (& I do love iyashikei genre stuff like yokohama kaidashi kikou), but since you're expected to play through a vn multiple times, a complex story is better for keeping me interested. Having scenes you have to play through once to unlock is also good (or where you have to finish a playthrough to get the proper context for the story like in No Thank You).

(idk if this is really helpful haha... i'd love to play a multi-route mystery bl game so feel free to totally ignore my self-serving propaganda :'D;; )
Image Image
Artist on [redacted] life NaNoRenO 2016

Raiju

#7 Post by Raiju »

fmjaye,

This helps quite a bit! It's good to get a sense of what a wide variety of people want, since I am planning to (hopefully) make this commercial (or is it more for my own enjoyment? Hehehehe~!). I do really like the Nitro+Chiral games, and that they have an overarching plot - which can help to keep the characters in an easier relation to one another. However, as I have done quite a bit more planning (and writing) on this project, I think its headed towards a "get to know the characters" kind of VN... that is, rather than the plot, it's about the characters, and how they interact and change depending on the choices you choose.

For this VN, I was planning on having the player choose between the four pursuable characters. The choices from that point on will drive you towards one of many endings - however, rather than simple "do this and not that" it's more... well, I don't quite know how to put it.
Take this for example: When somebody bumps into you when you're walking somewhere, do you say sorry, go on without saying anything, or say a sharp retort in return? Those choices will be the kind that 'choose' the ending. In a sense, you're creating the MC's character, into who the player wants them to be.
You want to play a jerk? Go ahead! A nice person? Sure. In-between, or waffling? Check.

With this kind of style, it might be a whole lot easier to focus on the characters themselves rather than an overarching plot... but, I'll have to see where it goes.

But, thank you for your input! I really appreciate it!