Suggestive Time Lapses

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
磯七ラスミ
Regular
Projects: If Facts Aren't Alibi | 盲点に日光 (Mōten ni Nikkō) | Nest, Treetop | Untail Wire Stretch

Suggestive Time Lapses

#1 Post by 磯七ラスミ »

I'm looking for implicit time transition tricks for time-travel stories, mystery novels and dramatic slice-of-life.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Suggestive Time Lapses

#2 Post by Mammon »

The same character, recogniseable by name or some facet of theirs, with different ages. If a teenage character suddenly looks like they're 8 years old, it suggests you leaped back in time a few years. It requires more art, but that would be the most nuanced way to go about it in time leaps of a few years. With a time skip of more than a lifespan, add a different background with different fashion for the characters will hint that you're in an entirely different era.

For short time jumps, some event or news article will be able to deliver it pseudo-nuanced. Better than just directly giving the date anyway. Something like a news article in the first scene about people still being in mourning over something that happened during the big Event last week, and then a few scenes later after a time skip the news is talking about the high anticipation of the Event that's coming up tomorrow. It would suggest that you leaped back 8 days, assuming the audience still remembers it. So for short-burst time jumps some plot-relevant event might be useful as a measuring stick for the date.

There are of course a thousand and one other ways to go about it, but these are three ways to signify a time leap.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Re: Suggestive Time Lapses

#3 Post by Katy133 »

Other methods include using a visual timeline, a calendar flipping forward/backward, or using captions ("Ten years later," etc).
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!