Good locations on starting a mystery/adventure story?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
LittleRainySeasons
Regular
Projects: Patsy n' Crinkles, Galaxy Party, Time|Reversed
Deviantart: LittleRainySeasons
Soundcloud: RoboticDreamz
itch: LittleRainySeasons

Good locations on starting a mystery/adventure story?

#1 Post by LittleRainySeasons »

So, I'm currently making a visual novel which was somewhat a mystery/adventure story. I already started writing the first draft but I don't think the location would be a good idea.

You see, the first scene took place with our main characters stuck in the desert after being lost in a road trip. However, I was a little dissatisfied with this and I was considering switching the setting into a much darker one, such as the forest. But I think the forest would be a little too cliche to start a story.

Can anyone here give suggestions to the settings of the story?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Good locations on starting a mystery/adventure story?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

If you have to ask a question like this then maybe you should think of a stronger concept for the story and outline it?

An example of a concept would be "a mystery that takes place inside a sealed off ocean liner" (999) or "a mystery that happens inside an old hotel" (Hotel Dusk). If you know where the story is going to go then you should already know where it starts.

A forest could work if the setting was, say, an old abandoned mansion in the forest or an isolated town, but it depends on the subject of your story.