Visual Decision-Tree Software?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Zathura

Visual Decision-Tree Software?

#1 Post by Zathura »

Is there anything you guys have run across that allows you to put bits and pieces of your script in such a way that you can easily see branching decisions and where they lead / meet-up?

I'm hoping for a free bit of software, but if you're using something that's paid, I'm not entirely opposed. It would just be nice to have a visual representation of things as I'm building the script because when I'm spending a couple hours straight in writing tags and inserting text I have a tendency to lose my place and forget to place flags / variables, etc.

If you don't use something like this, how do you manage to keep track of all the decisions and flags in your VN?

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: Visual Decision-Tree Software?

#2 Post by YossarianIII »

Twine is a good (and free) option. I've used it, and I know some other VN makers use it too.

Also, this might just be the way my brain works, but sometimes I find that even just pencil and paper can be a good option? Using software like Twine has advantages, but sometimes I like the flexibility of just having a blank page to write on.

Image Image

arisan
Projects: Golden Hour
Organization: Matchaa Studio
Tumblr: matchaastudio

#3 Post by arisan »

You could also try Yarn, which is what I've been using. Also free.
Writer @ Matchaa Studio
Check out our current WIP:

mrjeckyl

#4 Post by mrjeckyl »

I have just added for rpy export in yarn
https://twitter.com/blurymind/status/15 ... 7433830401

sorry to bump this thread, just though some people will find it useful

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#5 Post by Der Tor »

I just want to emphasize again that Twine really is the best for that. It's really the best for planning out and visualizing the branches of your Visual Novel and then either making it in Ren'Py or you can even directly make it in Twine itself. I have actually published a small game on Itch entirely using Twine. But it's actually even better when just used for planning. It was actually even used to write the script of the Black Mirror Full Motion Video episode!