Is Proactive Plot Possible?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
磯七ラスミ
Regular
Projects: If Facts Aren't Alibi | 盲点に日光 (Mōten ni Nikkō) | Nest, Treetop | Untail Wire Stretch

Is Proactive Plot Possible?

#1 Post by 磯七ラスミ »

We always think of a story as deedless peace, an emerging problem, optional twists in the middle and then a successful resolution.

A proactive plot would be something like: A moving world with set rules, characters doing what is normal for them, then you learning about their world, environment, relationship. The end would come whenever feels enough for the writter. Or isn't that called proactive?

Another plot not driven by sudden changes may be a couple traveling around world taking pictures of interesting things they like. I think this one enters in the category of slice of life.

Summary: Characters doing what they want or have always done, so the fun for the reader is to explore and discover. Like viewing a landscape for spotting ten errors VS viewing the landscape for taking a feel of it.

ISAWHIM
Veteran

Re: Is Proactive Plot Possible?

#2 Post by ISAWHIM »

Well, proactive means to "cause something to happen"... If you are just experiencing things, that is the total opposite of proactive.

I like "discovery" adventures. No actual goal or objective, other than exploring the world that someone has created. I can see that as having potential, provided there is some kind of guidance to ensure certain "observable targets", have been completely explored. No-one likes having stacks of half-completed quests.

However, having them unrelated, or open-ended in discovery, is a rather novel idea. Provided that the content is actually interesting.

There was a recent Indie-Game, which had something like this. However, there was an actual goal. The world itself was full of people, many of which had interesting stories to reveal. None were actually critical though. The games only downfall was that it had a major dullness to it. The stories were not enough to grasp anyone, and having no value, they ultimately just created an annoying delay that stalled progress of the game.

I would say, pick one or the other, and run with it. Just make the things to discover, worth discovering. Even if each simply has some non-obvious or hidden thing to discover... It gives people a reason to talk about it, and exchange, "how they discovered that secret thing", just off the beaten path.

Stack the events like a photo-album of history. "This was my adventure"... "These were my special discoveries"... "This was my favorite spot"...

Hell, you could get millions of ideas, just by reading popular blogs and vlogs. Just create similar situations and encounters for others to discover. (They are popular for a reason. They appeal to, or interest a greater majority of people... Who also read.)

磯七ラスミ
Regular
Projects: If Facts Aren't Alibi | 盲点に日光 (Mōten ni Nikkō) | Nest, Treetop | Untail Wire Stretch

#3 Post by 磯七ラスミ »

ISAWHIM wrote: Well, proactive means to "cause something to happen"... If you are just experiencing things, that is the total opposite of proactive.
My idea is about MCs being proactive, not exactly the player. And with proactive I mean you aren't in a roller coaster, you build your way up to your own creativity, like what you do with a calculator or a couple of dices. They haven't a set goal. Well, calculators and dices were invented with a purpose in mind, I guess.
Maybe I'm just talking about making a sandbox Visual Novel. That would be cool.

But let's go back on the writing of the characters. They going their own path of... fun? Problem solving is fun too, but you are being urged by the hassle that way.
I like when character do what they do because they love to do that. I don't need a promise or ill father to convince me that going to explore the world is a good idea.

I want some opinions to feel more motivated or to realize it will be not as easy.

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#4 Post by ISAWHIM »

It is easy, when you are not constrained to one set goal to reach. (Trying to make everything have some purpose to that goal, so it has a reason to exist in the game.)

When you write open-ended like this, you have that freedom of ease. You have to cater to the fans, if you are going to develop it with "their own path". Otherwise it is just a bunch of paths you want. Unless you are going to support your creation, entirely, then you have to cater to those who you expect to support and encourage you.

The best way to do that, in in small chunks of writing. Leveled progression that may or may not have bonus paths, if some prior activities are also completed. Keeping the bonus stuff non-critical, but semi-responsive to the other things which crafted that bonus content. I would suggest using a tool like "Twine", to help you setup the main outlines. Then, from there, you use that tool to assist your writing in RenPy.

http://twinery.org/