Characterization

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
renkka
Regular
Projects: The Glass Coffin, Bistro Days, BTS Universe Story, Ova Magica, Every Day's Different, etc.

Characterization

#1 Post by renkka »

Characterization is one of the most important elements in a successful story. Even if a story isn't great, sometimes, the characters make up for it.

In examining characters I've created over the years, I realized that it's a challenge to make a character not only believable, but also unique and to be able to keep track of a character's distinct traits. I sometimes feel like I limit myself by tying myself down to specific characteristics of a character, and this prevents me from allowing characters to define themselves throughout the story. I'm curious to know what the characterization process is like for everyone.

Some aspects I like to consider when designing characters are:
  • Relationships with other characters
  • Unique life situations and how those events shaped the character's current self
  • Goals (both long-term and short-term)
  • General personality traits
I have a series of questions to pose for fellow writers! Feel free to answer whichever ones you like.
  1. What do you love most about creating a character, and why?
  2. What process do you go through when designing your characters?
  3. What defines a multi-dimensional character?
  4. How can you prevent yourself (as the writer) from creating "static" characters defined by singular traits or events?
  5. While writing, we sometimes come up with character traits/life events on the fly. What method(s) do you use to keep track of a character's distinct traits/life events and make sure you don't contradict yourself later? (Ex. Your character suddenly tells another character that he was a licensed yoga instructor when he was 25. You want to make sure you don't forget that later.)
I couldn't think of the right wording for the 4th question (I blame finals), so I'm open to any interpretations you have.
Renkka
Writer, Editor, Narrative Designer

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Re: Characterization

#2 Post by Katy133 »

1.What do you love most about creating a character, and why?

I like two main things: Firstly, the character's visual design. This is probably because of my animation background, so I like using the character's design to help show what they're like. And secondly, I like figuring out what their speech pattern's like, because I like writing dialogue and banter.

2.What process do you go through when designing your characters?

For me, it varies. Sometimes, I come up with their visual design first (example: A cowardly-looking plague doctor) and go from there. Other times, I'll come up with their attitude first, or an aspect of them (their motivation, their character arc, etc).

3.What defines a multi-dimensional character?

By my personal definition, it would be the character having autonomy (for instance, a love interest whose only defining trait is their love for the MC is NOT a multi-dimensional character. Because the love interest has no existence outside of the MC) and hidden depths (they have some sort of inner struggle that they're dealing with).

4.How can you prevent yourself (as the writer) from creating "static" characters defined by singular traits or events?

Following the two guidelines I mentioned in answer 3, and also by giving the character an arc of some sort. They start off with a flaw, then they either overcome that flaw, or the flaw becomes their undoing.

5.While writing, we sometimes come up with character traits/life events on the fly. What method(s) do you use to keep track of a character's distinct traits/life events and make sure you don't contradict yourself later? (Ex. Your character suddenly tells another character that he was a licensed yoga instructor when he was 25. You want to make sure you don't forget that later.)

I like using brevity and "Chekhov's Gun," so any details a character mentions will tend to come back later on in the story anyway (example: The character says that he was a licensed swim team instructor. Later on, he uses his swimming skills to dive underwater and rescue someone). Sometimes, I'll also write down notes about characters in a small text document that I can quickly look at for reference (example: Your character was a licensed yoga instructor when he was 25. Not 24).
Last edited by Katy133 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#3 Post by Mammon »

What do you love most about creating a character, and why?
One of the most fun things to see happen and most important things to allow yourself to do, is to see the characters develop on their own and allow it to happen. You can put two characters in a room and against outline and your own expectations you'll see that they can't get along or have smooth banter with one another. Or you see how a character that had a supposedly unchanging trait will develop their trait without your consent or changing it.

For example the always supportive friend can grow a bit tired of having to repeat the same again, annoyed because you're a bit annoyed about writing the same dialogue again in a different way, and it incites a reply by the MC that is a bit aggressive and nettled too because they're moody from previous stessful situations and got way too much on their mind right now to deal with this. Which will develop in a way you didn't initially expected when their friendship cools a bit during the next few scenes and places a bit of a reserved distanc between them.

This is not only good because it will allow you to tell the story and it's characters more fluidly and realistically, but also allows you to discover the story chronologically like the readers in a certain sense. That allows you to know whether the build-up and characterisation you have planned is actually there. In contrast, some writers just assume that the reader gets what character development they intended before or think that 1-2minutes of it would suffice for the scene they need to participate in.

What process do you go through when designing your characters?
I agree with Katy133 that the character's looks are quite important to know. I too make the character sprites, see what comes out and base a lot of their personality on their visualisation. Of course, they already have quite the personality even before and the sprite can't do eveything. But, first the outline of the story that determines which characters there are, what they need to do, what they are, etc. Then the sprites. Meanwhile I'm writing the story and see how the characters develop on their own. And if it requires rewriting their role or ending for them to develop, so be it.

What defines a multi-dimensional character?
There are many ways to define that, and I'll start immediately by saying that any and all definitions by everyone here will or can be correct. To me, it's a character with more under the surface or with complicated motivations (not necessarily unique, regular personalities can be complex as well). If you can explain one of their main traits in 1 sentence, good. However, if you cannot also describe it in half a page or longer, it's probably just a bland cliche trope.

The already mentioned Chekhov's gun thing is something I myself do not support. if everything is tied to the story or plot, then the characters will be severely limited in what they do. Everything they do has to be plot-related, after all. And the idea that a multi-dimensional character and the must to make their every defining aspect plot-relevant seem paradoxal to me. If you can give the feeling that the character they saw in the story was just scratching the surface of whom they really are, and never mention or use 60% of their traits, then that's the multidimensional character in my book. In real life too you don't meet someone only to have them share their life story with you in the first two weeks.

For example in my first game P&Y, there were a few characters with a personality far gmore complicated than the story ever needed them to be. The best example would be a girl named Emilia, who only had one appearance and three sentences in the entire game. Her character however had a much more complicated story about her being a transfer student suddenly brought into a new environment separated from her friends. She is a bit distanced, though not voluntarily so, to others because the friend clicks were already formed before she arrived so she feels a bit shut-out. She wants new friends, but at the same time isn't too sure about it and feels an obligation to her old friends. These still chat with her regularly and unknowingly tie her to her old social life, while they have nothing but good intentions they make her feel a bit obligated not to forget them and make new best friends. As a result, Emilia focusses more on her sports and makes friends online in order to feel like there are time-related reasons why she hasn't made new friends. Only the exchange student thing was mentioned in the game, the rest was just fluff I made for myself when portraying her.

How can you prevent yourself (as the writer) from creating "static" characters defined by singular traits or events?
Let them develop themselves. Change the plot if you have to. With my newest project too I've already changed the intended ending entirely already because the character developed herself to be less shallow (in-character shallowness, not characterisation shallowness) and thus deserving of a better ending than what she got. And if you write down their character and see that everything you write is directly tied to what they have to do in the story, they're too static. Give them some characteristics with leeway for you to play with and develop.

While writing, we sometimes come up with character traits/life events on the fly. What method(s) do you use to keep track of a character's distinct traits/life events and make sure you don't contradict yourself later? (Ex. Your character suddenly tells another character that he was a licensed yoga instructor when he was 25. You want to make sure you don't forget that later.)
I've got a good memory for those things, so I don't have to remember these other traits through documentation. As long as I've got th emain plot written down somewhat, teh rest can be deduced from there. Also, if the newly added trait is tied to others and coming forth from development, chances are that you will remember it by proxy of remembering the other traits. If it's randomly added and without substance, you may forget it indeed.

Your yoga thing for example. If it's just that and no ties to the rest of their personality, you may completely forget about it. If there are ties or direct character behaviour patterns because of it, then how could you forget. (I'm going with a female yoga instr. for a while, because I cannot really imagine the same with a male one.) For example when you're flirting, she may end that flirting session by showing how flexible she really is as a final mike-drop. Or you could be less inclined to flirt with her because you're not really into all that hippy-stuff and assumed too quickly that she must have such traits if she was once a yoga instructor, only for her later to tell you she did it for the sport and not that weird chackra stuff, being justifiably nettled for you jumping to conclusions like that. Or she could have a minor injury that forced her to stop doing yoga, and her inability to use her body to her full extend and control is an ever-present and defining trait of insecurity and melancholy to her that is never mentioned explicitly.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

catgame21234
Regular
Completed: 1
Projects: Looking for a art job; Want some help? Join n we can talk https://discord.gg/fydp3Vj
Tumblr: catgame21234.tumblr.com

#4 Post by catgame21234 »

Often times i create characters that are for a said porpuse. I draw a lot and so far it was only making characters for Rp porpuses. The last time I only made a new character was when I was a child and tho I worked with many diffrent interpitations off of established characters in Role play, or making "fan characters" It was always to surve a role.
But I do remember the days where the joy of creating a whole new world for me to play with from scratch and that was my lust to make new characters. I get that sensation when i make roleplay plots with astablished characters. and When I make something origonal again that same sensation will come back as well.

I make what I know, and if i want to make a diffrent type of character, or even Roleplay as an existing one, i go and study anything that is related to that character. I bring up roleplaying because honestly if you change the nouns and mad lib a character and setting you can make it really your own.
Solaire of Astora from darksouls
Scoop from awesomenauts
and Sir Gilman from Pyre are all esentualy the same character

A chivarus knight who is presented as over the top given it's context and or delivery.
And studying how characters work within their setting makes it easyer to eventualy write an origonal one as your own.
if you are interested in learning more about these characters, you can look up these links to get a better understanding of the characters since ill be refrencing them.

https://awesomenauts.gamepedia.com/Scoo ... nformation
all you need is his first set of voice lines to get a holding of scoop. As well as the backstory presented there.
oh and you can watch this as well

a 5 minnet video showing of Sir Gilman

and I'll save the last guy for the next bit but all you need to know about him is this. In darksouls in a world where the light itself is dieing out and everything is super depressing and every character comes off as depressed and overall negitive, he is like this in contrast to everything and everyone around him.

Depth

First watch this
also takea moment, pay a few bucks, and study the game Pyre as I listed above, there are a lot of characters in that story whom are stariotypes but hidden depth is founded in each one.

http://www.pcgamer.com/different-as-the ... -disaster/ [has spoilers for all of Super Giant Games' games]
. "I think characters are far more interesting and believable if there's something about them that you can understand or relate to," he says. "At the least, you should be able to understand why they've made the choices that they've made, even if they've made poor choices. The most frightening antagonists are the ones we can relate to in some way, and see that whatever unconscionable choices they've made may have been well-intentioned somewhere down the line."
I know im just thorwing things at here, my thoughts are all over, but honestly its just…write with heart
write with soul.
for spoilers with Pyre and about Sir Gilman's backstory and what Pyre is about.
Pyre is a game where you are sent into basicaly pligatory and can play magic basketball to get back. Sir Gilman's backstory from my memory is that after failing a battle, he held such honnor for his duty that he alowed himself to be exiled along with the rest of his crew even tho he was saved from punishment. He was that chivarus.
And Scoop? he may not have much back story but with these examples of how far chivary goes, good will, hope and optimisum but sticking to the rules, you can imagen how then Scoop would act in sunarios and how his good will can even get him in bad situations.

How can you prevent yourself (as the writer) from creating "static" characters defined by singular traits or events?

Art is rarely made in a vacume, far from it. Referencing how others have created their characters and handled story beets helps you fourge your own story. TV tropes tho a massive time sink can be a good refrence of just random character traits you could incorpate into your character. But honestly its just…play them off of others is what I say you should do. Tell people about your character through ither play (RP) orshowing others your work and seeing how they react to your writing. Are they good? bad? Take an honest evaluation of your character. Hell what helps me develop depth are two things acutaly and these are fun exersizes you can do.

1) go through things on social media websights like tumblr, and see posts that pop up on your dash. Image being your character and try to think of what posts they'd like and dislike, or imagen them in the posts you see.

I have a whole tag dedicated to this
with a lot of my characters such as "This is sheepi."
and without even seeing the character in question you can get a feel for what that character is like thorugh "their" social media feed.
I even have ones that I don't know who to apply them too So you can exsersize this task here

which of your (or other) characters you can imagen having a relationship like this?
Who'd fight like this? or wishes they could fight like this?

Who'd in your cast would say these lines?
and so on and so forth.

It can be emotional, or touching, or silly, or taking to exstreams at times, but they are always in character your responces and reactions.

2) take quizes or play games as your character.
a great way is to play games, or take personaly quiz and play it out as your character.
If you know Team 4 star who does DBZ abridge, the VA for vegeta in that show does lets plays, but in character

you can do that privetly with your characters to see how they react to situations. Roleplay AS your charater, role- play-. Aka ACT as your character.
I'm curently "RP"ing as a god of lightning n' science from another dimention from our own stuck in a little girls body in a pokemon nuzlock and as hes trying to find a way to get back into his true fourm he's taking the time to go exsplore this strange land he ended up in and study its technology and indigitive life fourms that resign there. And I have been documenting his adventures with a friend who is also doing a nuzlock at the same time

being in this mindset, I found myself being"forced" by my character's will to attempt to find out how effective taking photos is in pokemon leaving me to do science data stuff.
StC: hypothesis; more test samples i photograph the end result will get me more Thumbs up on social media vs 1 shot.

procedure; take photographs same way, upload to internet at 1 hour intervals to gain most traphic, record thumbs-up data 15 minnets after upload

Code: Select all

Furfrou 3/4 back view (half zoom) (2 photos): 559
Furfro front view (full zoom) (swaying action) (1 photo): 3176
Furfro front view (full zoom) (barking action) (1 photo): 3232
Furfro front view (full zoom) (barking action) (6 photos): 3202

No PkM (w/ shadow), (no zoom) (1 photo): 127
No PkM (w/ shadow), (no zoom) (1 photo): 193
No PkM (w/ shadow), (no zoom) (1 photo): 119
No PkM (w/ shadow), (no zoom) (1 photo): 158
No PkM (w/ shadow), (no zoom) (6 photos): 137
No PkM (w/ shadow), (no zoom) (6 photos): 184
No PkM (w/ shadow), (no zoom) (6 photos): 120

No PkM (no shadow), ( no zoom) (6 photo): 106
No PkM (no shadow), (no zoom) (6 photos): 172
No PkM (no shadow), (no zoom) (6 photos): 152
No PkM (no shadow), (no zoom) (1 photo): 158
No PkM (no shadow), (no zoom) (1 photo): 178
No PkM (no shadow), (no zoom) (1 photo): 107
No PkM (no shadow), (no zoom) (1 photo): 174
wile hes plotting down data he requests arcanist to just keep himsef alive since hes not moving at this spot, hes not eating or drinking at all. he writes down his conclusion

STC: Conclusion;…max number of photos does not matter…all that does is final image uploaded.

he ooks at the data points and keeps writing on the tombstones.

StC: Hypotheseis: Humans prefur photographs of PkM in photograph
Conclusion: confirmed, even if it is just ashadow of a pokemon that still gets a more steddy thumbs up influx than just scenery photography in this univurse. Signifigetnyl less

he rubs his chin
StC: I wonder if all these Pocket Monsters imute an abunden amount of toxoplasma gondii in this univurse…it'd exsplain why i reactionarly wilingness to brush my Furfro after every single encounter :unamused: ;… :neutral_face: Remind me when we make a pack to show her some of these mons and see what she gets back Rottom.

Rottom:…i am unfamilar with this term.
StC: it's an obligate intracellular parasitic alveolate. :wave::skin-tone-3:
Rottom:…ehm…
StC: Sarcocystidae :unamused: ?
Rottom:…uh…
StC: single-celled parasite
Rottom: ah!
((There was so much more behind it it was rediculus))

Then later, not being used to be impacted by said single-celled parasite that's found in cats irl a bit too strongly.
And becomes infatuated with the pokemon pikachu because again, he's the god of lightning, and there is merchandice everywere of pikachu.
So later in the plot when im documenting my encounters with team skull this plays out (partly in my head).

Stc: p-phh.. PHHAHAHAAAAAAHAHAHA

Grunt: whatso funny?

Stc: you two look like ideots!

Grunt: says the one dressed up like a pikachu

Stc: WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY TO ME??
Grunt: you. Look. Like. A. Pi.ka.chu.
Stc: ILL MAKE YOU REGRET THOS WORDS

And it was a funny moment that my friend who i was wrting the nuzlock diary for keeps refrencing it still to this day. Because even tho on the surface it seems like such an OOC for them to do. the events leading up to the situation are 100% IC. That is dynamic and flexabol character disgine.
And better yet, this very moment I could reuse in a character, this very sean, if they are overly pashent about somethign. How cool is that?

While writing, we sometimes come up with character traits/life events on the fly. What method(s) do you use to keep track of a character's distinct traits/life events and make sure you don't contradict yourself later? (Ex. Your character suddenly tells another character that he was a licensed yoga instructor when he was 25. You want to make sure you don't forget that later.)

Outside of just "lol write it down", there is a simple method to remembering your characters; make it meaningful.
Is it super important for them to have them be a yoga instructor? is it a key moment about themselves, even if it is for a gag?
I compare writing, the act of it for art, as a fourm of 2d sculpturing. You hack away at what works and what dosnt till you get something perspentabol. Chosing to ieliminating typos so that its easyer to read, or not too out of lazyness or showing that you're talking off the cuff.

View it like concept art, When you draw a character over and over again you start omiting traits you dislike or even forget about till you are left with its core. and that core could be something symple or complex. But so long as it works.

I couldn't think of the right wording for the 4th question (I blame finals), so I'm open to any interpretations you have.

Not sure what im left to interpetate but i'll take this space to post some links that help me be inspired and or learn about things!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/J ... ringAgency

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabberwocky

and damn anything else.
study art, study characters you like and dislike, and learn how they work in their setting so that you can use them as well.
Oy! Just call me Catti.
An inspiring developer but mostly artist. You can see my artwork here. Want to get ahold of me? Click here so we can talk fast on discord.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#5 Post by Hijiri »

I like coming up with their day-to-day because it's those things that really make a person. After all, you can infer a lot about someone whose always an hour early to work or if they never turn on their blinker when merging into traffic.
First I come up with what kind of character I need in the story. Then from there I start to branch out and build them up from there. Even their basic image designs I take time doing in order to try and give you an idea as to what they do by just looking at them.
This all depends on the reader, but for me it's a character who is very nuanced like a regular person. No one is permanently bubbly or stoic, there's shades to their personality as well.
By expanding on their background more. A single event CAN cause a shift in personality, but it's usually a culmination of little things that caused that event. So those little things should be filled out so that we don't just have that one thing.
While writing, we sometimes come up with character traits/life events on the fly. What method(s) do you use to keep track of a character's distinct traits/life events and make sure you don't contradict yourself later?
This isn't the ideal way, but when I come up with something for a character, I recite it in my head using their "voice." It's so that when I come across a similar idea for someone else or forgo something important about them, I hear it in my head in a voice that isn't mine thus calling it to attention. But usually I do write SOME things down. And the things I do outright forget I tend to handwave them because I'm a terrible author.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

renkka
Regular
Projects: The Glass Coffin, Bistro Days, BTS Universe Story, Ova Magica, Every Day's Different, etc.

#6 Post by renkka »

Really interesting responses, especially to the first and last question. Thank you for sharing!
Renkka
Writer, Editor, Narrative Designer

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#7 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Here is a tip for creating believable characters, especially for film, radio shows or VNs with voice acting: write the roles for the actors, base them of their personailities, age, etc. Choose the actors first and then write. Alternatively, you should consider adjusting your script after choosing your actors. Basing your characters of real people, particularly the people who will play them, will mean you avoid the problem of creating flat or similar characters.

It also helps to give the characters a few commonly used phrases.

jisenjeon

#8 Post by jisenjeon »

1. What do you love most about creating a character, and why?

I love coming up with the different relationships between my characters because their interactions are interesting to me. I also like seeing how my characters live in the world I've created.

2. What process do you go through when designing your characters?

I usually base my characters off the world I've built, so after fleshing out my world I think of the role my characters serve in this world. Then, I start thinking of their overall personality, then their physical appearance, and then any other personality quirks that they have.

3. What defines a multi-dimensional character?

Someone who isn't only defined by one trait; they're basically like a real person. No person is happy all the time, and if they are, then there must be a reason for it.

4. How can you prevent yourself (as the writer) from creating "static" characters defined by singular traits or events?

Like catgame21234, I go on websites like Tumblr and find posts that relate to my characters. I also try to think of other characteristics, no matter how small they are, that would affect the character's personality. (For example, the popular girl is actually a huge metalhead fan. Why is she a fan of heavy metal? Maybe it's because her brother is also in a heavy metal band. Now what's her relationship with her brother?). TL;DR, it's just about expanding on their personalities so they don't get rooted on one event or character trait.

5. While writing, we sometimes come up with character traits/life events on the fly. What method(s) do you use to keep track of a character's distinct traits/life events and make sure you don't contradict yourself later? (Ex. Your character suddenly tells another character that he was a licensed yoga instructor when he was 25. You want to make sure you don't forget that later.)

I have a checklist for each character about important things in their lives, and I keep this list by me when writing. That way, if I feel like I'm contradicting myself, I can just check on the list.

saddest-willowby

#9 Post by saddest-willowby »

I start with a general picture, a stereotype - ex. a shy nerd, and then I try to pick out things that make them unique.

I'll give them some contradictory character traits (or by randomly generating some: http://writingexercises.co.uk/random-ch ... erator.php). It's hard at first because I'll be like psh, there's no way a shy nerd could also be a cocky braggart. But I force myself to imagine a person in which those traits could coexist. For example, since this particular shy nerd had a tyrannical mother, I realized he could have an inferiority complex so that when things actually go well for him, the victory goes to his head. I try to use real people as inspiration because real people are fascinating and contradictory like that :P For a fun exercise, I think of first impressions I've had of close friends and ways in which they've subverted those impressions.

I also come up with a list of quirks/quotes/defining moments. Quotes in particular helped enormously with one character I struggled with through three iterations of the plot. Despite knowing her personality on paper, I still couldn't picture her in my mind until I came up with a list of things only she would say. Now I can look at the list and go, oh yeah, that's totally her.

I think of people like jewels in that they are always showing a different facet of themselves. Between moments or even sentences, they'll go through their own moods and express them in their own way. Maybe there's an old lady who's always complaining by default, but after she has a smoke she'll wax poetic about the beauty of life, and if something reminds her of her husband she'll go quiet for days. As the story unfolds, I try to show more facets of my characters in response, so they are always changing even if they are the same people.

For my main characters, I also make sure they have a character arc so they evolve from the conflicts in the plot.

This actually happens to me all the time because I have terrible attention span/memory, so I've learned to compensate by planning out the outline to a T. I come up with new things at this phase when things are still flexible enough that I can easily fix any inconsistencies that result. Once I actually start writing, I stick as close to the outline as possible.

Inksword
Regular
Tumblr: inksword

#10 Post by Inksword »

On a whim I'm logging in for the first time in forever to comment on #2, my process for designing characters (at least their personalities/histories.)

I use a technique I like to call the "ripple effect" method of character creation. Mainly, you start with a single defining trait and then you extrapolate out all of the consequences of that trait on the rest of their character. Usually when you sit down to make a character, you have a role in the story (hero, villain, foil to protagonist, rival etc) or a particular character trait you want to explore (the kind romance option, the badboy, etc.) This is your starting point. Say for example, you have the character trait of brave, someone to be the dragon-slayer in your fantasy story. If he's courageous in battle, what else does that bravery effect? Is he always open to new experiences? Does he often pick fights or can he never say no to a bet? Maybe he's great at speaking because he is not self-conscious enough to stutter or doubt what he says, making him a great orator and socialite. Then, once you've picked a second trait or traits that arose from the first one, take those and try to tease out their logical consequences. You could end up with something like this:

(start) courageous > outgoing/extrovert > confident speaker > charismatic > most people like him > ascended the ranks of knighthood quickly due to being well liked, but is therefore a less-skilled swordsman than others of his rank > bested in act 2 by his rivavl in a duel > etc.
and
courageous > thrill seeker > can't turn down bet > easily baited

Note how you don't just have to expand out to character traits, but to backstory or story events and elements that are driven by that primary character trait.

It's also important to include the "reverse ripple" where you start with a trait and then work backwards to find out the root cause of that trait. Take our brave example, someone can be brave because they're too stupid to understand the danger of situations, BUT one could also be brave because they simply do not value their own life. These are two different kinds of bravery. The first character would endanger himself and his friends recklessly, likely not think ahead of consequences in general, while the second would endanger themselves but not those around them, as they understand the danger and merely choose to take it upon themselves. It's a difference between a short-sighted hot-head, and and self-sacrificing loner. Let's go another step back. This guy has no value for his own life, why would that be? Does he consider himself worthless? Is he a peasant in a highly classist system? Maybe he survived a tragedy where many of his friends died and he doesn't feel like he should be alive. Maybe he just has terrible self-esteem in general and uses courage as a way to cover it up.
depressed< low self-esteem < doesn't value own life < (start) courageous

Then you have to put them together. The brave character who doesn't care for his own life because of extreme self-esteem issues, is he likely to be the confident speaker we described in our forward ripple process? Probably not, and readers might find it jarring to try to connect the two character traits, so we need to do some re-writing (or re-rippling) to make it work. It might be an interesting and believable contrast to have someone brave in battle but shy in social situations. BUT, you can also take both traits, seemingly in contrast, and then start brainstorming again on how to make these seemingly mismatched traits and make them harmonize. Maybe he's all bluster because he's subconsciously sabotaging himself by being overly aggressive in social situations. Probably still won't end up with the charismatic but inexperienced knight we had at the first part, but maybe you'll get something better. This process is adaptive and encourages experimentation. Maybe it'd be better to go with the idea that he's simply idealistic and doesn't totally comprehend danger to better fit with the character traits we made in the first part.

If you have multiple starting points (courageous, love interest, has to betray MC in act 3) you have a more precise sketch to start your rippling from. Having these relationships mapped out at least in your head (you don't necessarily need to write them down) helps you create a web of interconnected traits and backstory that hopefully form a complex and cohesive whole. You can start with a single character trait and have it evolve into many very different characters. It's also very important to think about how the world the MC lives in will affect their development and how they "ripple" and include it in your starting sketch. Strict gender expectations can change how characters express rebelliousness or whether they express it at all. Cultural taboos can change professions characters persue, how they express themselves, whether they have self-hate or anxiety. These are backstory elements that are static and not determined by or for the character, but from the setting and genre.

It's important to note that you still do need to put some thought and creativity into characters. If you follow the most obvious ripples you'll probably still end up with a one note or cliche characters. You need to make sure that you're adding flaws in as well as positives, and that you're playing out the logical consequences to those flaws just as much as the positives. It doesn't matter that you added in "easily baited" to the concept of your character if it's never brought up in the actual story or history of your character. Positives can also act as negatives in some situations. Confident is a positive character trait until the moment it becomes overconfident. You also need to make sure you're not just restating the same thing over and over, (he's kind because he likes animals because he's kind is not a very interesting ripple.) You also might fall into cliches like the girl who is a bleeding heart who nurses animals back to health because she has a sick little brother at home and the care taking aspect has consumed her or whatever. You don't need to destroy all cliches in your characters, but at least consider where those cliches come from within your character's history and personality, and try to map them out to see the logical consequences or some unexpected complexities.

Lydwine

#11 Post by Lydwine »

1) What do you love most about creating a character, and why?
What I like the most about creating a character, it’s that you can mix real person with a piece of fiction. And well, I sometimes get really attached to some characters. I think this is one of the process I like the most in creating a story.
2) What process do you go through when designing your characters?
When I designed a charcter I usally create is background and think “What would I do if I had live the same event ?” and I keep asking the same question while trying to switch the “major” characterist of this character.
3) What defines a multi-dimensional character?
I guess a multi-dimensional character would be one who isn’t based on one emotion or way of acting. For example, if a character A hate fish and he end up living inside an ocean (who knows !) he won’t stay only focus on “I don’t like fish, I want to leave. But, he may see beautifull landscape or whatever, and say that he wants to stay in the ocean.
By that I mean, the character isn’t evolving around one fact / emotion / characteristic
4 )How can you prevent yourself (as the writer) from creating "static" characters defined by singular traits or events?

For this part it depends on what I’m writing.
I actually have a pretty good memory concerning the books/ novel I write. The only fact I keep in mind are physical characteristict of my character. And I record all of those in a notebook. Generally, I write one page for each character and town/place.
But for other thing like “B went to the pool on a saturday morning” i remembered all of them and I can even tell in which page it happened.
"La littérature est la preuve que la vie ne suffit pas." Fernando PESSOA