Questions about freelancing

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Anihime
Deviantart: AnimeFanatic02

Questions about freelancing

#1 Post by Anihime »

I'm new to this forum and want to do freelancing as a writer. The only problem is, I don't know how freelancing works. ^^;;

For example:

-What does it mean to be a freelance writer?
-What should I expect when freelancing?
-Do I need to showcase any prior experience or something more recent?

I don't want to rush into being a freelance writer without knowing the important details. If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know. It would be very much appreciated. :)

Gaudeamus
Regular
Deviantart: Gaudeamusmx

Re: Questions about freelancing

#2 Post by Gaudeamus »

Hi, although I also like to write I never tried to exploit that side of mine and I have gone more for the illustration so I had not asked the same thing as you so I decided to do a search to solve those questions and fortunately I found many pages that talked about it. . . . The detail is that they are all in Spanish, my native language.

At the moment I do not plan to exploit that side of mine although I do not have time either but among the things I research I found a site called inkspired which even allows you to receive donations from your readers if your story catches the attention of the people

As I said I do not have time but from what I saw that site seems very good and apparently only wattpad exceeds it in popularity within the genre of writers but personally I like more inskpired than wattpad although both have communities and a forum with tips to write that you can be helpful also that both there are not only people who write for fun but professionals who live from writing and you could solve your doubts.

In addition to the donations one of the things I like about inskpired is that you can change the background color of your subject thing that does not have any wattpad when i have free time I will review the site better and research more about what to be writer freelancer and comment here

For while I leave you a writing I did about 2 years ago ,It's not the big thing but I liked it a lot ,have a nice day and good luck with you research :wink:

https://www.getinkspired.com/es/story/3 ... -memories/

Dirtblast_McSass
Projects: SmashTV, Portrait of You

Re: Questions about freelancing

#3 Post by Dirtblast_McSass »

What does it mean to be a freelance writer?
Simply, you are a mercenary. People will approach you for help with their projects and you assist them as best as you can.

What should I expect when freelancing?
That you won't be writing full stories for people. A lot of freelancing is being asked to take someone's already done story or section and add to it to help beef up characters or plot points. You'll probably be asked to do some editing as well. You might get the occasional job where you are doing a big character arc for a game or something. Freelancing is a little bit of everything.

Do I need to showcase any prior experiences or something more recent?
It's always a good idea too. Before starting advertising yourself as a freelancer, write a few short stories with the intent of using them as examples. Show you can work in multiple genres. Dedicate an entire short story to a specific character type. Just anything you want to show you can do that will help people. Aim these short stories for 5000 - 10000 words as well. It's enough words to make the short story feel long enough that you show off how you pace character growth and plot.

I hope this helps!