Character Development Timing

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

Re: Character Development Timing

#16 Post by arachni42 »

Westeford wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:59 pm My problem comes when I'm giving them depth and development. I know how I want them to grow, but the timing (especially in the beginning chapters) feels off. Since this is a visual novel with free time events like Persona or Dangan Ronpa, I would need to introduce a few of the LI's early so that there's a choice in who the player will talk to during the intermission periods between chapters.
I think you have the right idea. I'll add something that I learned in film class. The thing that moves a story (or scene, or character) forward is change. It could be a change in the plot, but it can also be a change in the characters and/or how they interact. They've learned something about each other, or learned something about themselves. I mean, I think it's find to have some slice-of-life interactions for fun, and getting to know a character and what they're like. But when you want an interaction to have purpose, make sure there's something different at the end compared to the beginning.

Earlier on you'll be establishing a sort of baseline for the characters. I think it's fine to develop some ahead of others, because you want the reader to get to know all of them at least a little bit, and it can be overwhelming if it's all at once. (IMO Persona is a lot better than Danganronpa in this regard, although Danganronpa's was well suited to its plot. I think Persona is more suited to your style of plot.)

For hidden depths, you need to show the surface first. Remember that it's not just the MC not knowing the character, but they don't know the MC, either. (Unless there's a childhood friend in there?) So, in the beginning, the characters don't have the same level of trust built up with the MC, just as the MC doesn't have the level of trust built up in them yet. So change can come from how much they open up over time. I expect they will act differently with someone they're close with compared to someone who's an acquaintance. Later on, change can also come from things they changed their mind about. It can come from things about themselves *they* didn't even know until the plot happened. The character is "a different person" from the one they started out as. I mean, it happens in real life, too.

So, my approach would be to use these turning points to set the pacing. With free time events, it's a little more challenging; are you able to "max out" someone early? Or are the major developments going to happen during the common plot? Think about how you want to approach that.

Also, if you're having trouble seeing beyond a character's base personality and talents, start asking questions about your character. Why do they have *this* talent? Where did they learn it? What does it mean to them? How does their personality mesh with their talent? What environment did they grow up in? What other things do they like to do? What life experiences have they had? What sorts of situations would they be comfortable in? What sort of situations would catch them off guard?

For example, K is shown to have amazing marksmanship early on. She's probably spent a lot of time to achieve and refine her skill. How did she train? And how does she feel about it? Confidence? Pride? Humility?

Okay, now what kind of situation would completely throw her off her game? What would it take? And how does she eventually overcome it? (Or, does she overcome it???)

Whatever the answer is... consider writing it into the story. ;)

Westeford
Regular
Completed: 12 Hours to Die
Projects: Project Premonition
itch: westeford

Re: Character Development Timing

#17 Post by Westeford »

You gave me a lot to consider. Thank you this is very helpful.
arachni42 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:18 pm For hidden depths, you need to show the surface first. Remember that it's not just the MC not knowing the character, but they don't know the MC, either. (Unless there's a childhood friend in there?) So, in the beginning, the characters don't have the same level of trust built up with the MC, just as the MC doesn't have the level of trust built up in them yet. So change can come from how much they open up over time. I expect they will act differently with someone they're close with compared to someone who's an acquaintance. Later on, change can also come from things they changed their mind about. It can come from things about themselves *they* didn't even know until the plot happened. The character is "a different person" from the one they started out as. I mean, it happens in real life, too.

So, my approach would be to use these turning points to set the pacing. With free time events, it's a little more challenging; are you able to "max out" someone early? Or are the major developments going to happen during the common plot? Think about how you want to approach that.
I don't want it to be easy to "max out" these scenes, I think some scenes should become available after certain story points. (It kind of bothered me how in the Persona social links, they don't say anything about the major changes in the story most of the time.).
So far the way I'm thinking this. In laymen's terms the common plot is about the MC and the supporting characters coming together and teaming up for a common goal (Not unlike persona or any JRPG.) The common plot also serves to build on the major character growths and to build on the relationships and trust between the members of the supporting cast.
The side events go into the characters' backstories (Things they'd probably not tell everyone about). They also serve to build trust between the supporting cast and the MC.
I plan on using branching routes and/or endings based on trust and choices made. The branching point would probably be near the end.

I'm rambling again, thank you for your input. :)