tips on plotting story for adult visual novel

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
DeathSummoner
Regular
Organization: PekoPeko
Deviantart: pekopeko7

tips on plotting story for adult visual novel

#1 Post by DeathSummoner »

Hi everyone, I am making an adult visual novel where everything will be uncensored ( I don't know why I mentioned that).
Ok I have plotted first few update stories and even brainstormed the rest. But I just wanted to know like what shud I be more careful about while plotting the story and also any tips would be great.
Let me give you a brief about my story:
MC is from a rich family, and the only child. His father got serious gambling issues. One day MC's mom took MC with her and left home to her mother's house. Some other day,MC left home to look for his father, (MC was very small that time), and got lost.
A young man who recently got married saw MC on rainy night and took him home. His wife suspected MC to be her husband's lover's child. Even though the man could calm her down that night but she never stopped her doubts. Later the young couple had a daughter and then the lady sent the MC to a boarding school.
After 10 years MC returned home from school and decided to finish his college in his town.
Then the main story starts. In the main story (briefly saying) the man who adopted MC dies and then MC will have to take the responsibility of his adopted family. Later in the story his real mom and Dad joins and will add more twists to it.
There's a lot fun stuffs I did not mentioned And don't forget to give feedback about the story. Thanks in advance.

frylander
Regular

Re: tips on plotting story for adult visual novel

#2 Post by frylander »

Well, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but if you want ideas on your story or how to structure it, I would suggest using the 3 act story structure.

If you don't have problems listening to english, I would recommend watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcmiqQ9NpPE

Its a first video out of 5 where that man explains pretty well the 3 act structure for books and movies, and has lots of very helpful examples so you get the idea very clearly.

Hope I helped!

Horma
Regular

#3 Post by Horma »

One thing to remember is that every good story has a theme, a statement it wants to make. What is yours?

By this I don't mean that your adult visual novel should be banging the readers on their heads with political agenda (or any other agenda). Just think, what is the heart of this story squeezed into one sentence. You don't have to tell us, just keep that in mind as you write and try to figure out how to convey that theme. You can stray from your theme a bit sometimes, question it, throw rocks at it, but in the end, you shouldn't abandon it. It's the glue that will keep the events of your story connected.

If you just want to make a serviceable plot that entertains readers through sex scenes that they don't personally enjoy, you can completely ignore my advice.

I hope that was helpful.

DeathSummoner
Regular
Organization: PekoPeko
Deviantart: pekopeko7

#4 Post by DeathSummoner »

thanks a lot Horma.... that advice made me understand a lot

Dirtblast_McSass
Projects: SmashTV, Portrait of You

#5 Post by Dirtblast_McSass »

What's the plan for the MC? Their backstory points to a lot of points of trauma in it (parents divorce, runs away from home, taken in by a new family to be shipped to a boarding school after they have a child, to coming home and his adoptive father dying). If you go too intense with it, you take away from the fact that you are doing an adult story. If you gloss over it too much, your character will fall flat. I'm really curious to see what you would do with that MC.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#6 Post by OokamiKasumi »

DeathSummoner wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:26 am Hi everyone, I am making an adult visual novel where everything will be uncensored.
Ok I have plotted first few update stories and even brainstormed the rest. But I just wanted to know like what shud I be more careful about while plotting the story and also any tips would be great.
Hey DeathSummoner,
-- Just for a frame of reference, I write erotic romance for a living, and 3 of my games are erotic VNs.

One of the first problems I ran into were Not Enough Erotic Images.
-- The way I got around this is by using Suggestive images and explicit Text in Novel (NVL) Mode. In fact, two of my games are purely kinetic; stories with music, pictures, and SFX--no choices at all. My third is a MadLibs game with lots of player interaction, but it is also Text-heavy.

I'm guessing that you have plenty of erotic imagery, so explicit text may not even be needed, but it's nice to read.

PLOTTING.
-- First thing you need to do to plot an EroGame is decide: What are you using your sex scenes For?

A) Are your Sex scenes just part of the passing events?
or?
B) Does WHO your MC has sex scenes with Change The Story?
or
C) Can your MC pursue and have sex with anyone they like Without Changing the Story?

If your answer is A:
-- Decide what actually Changes The Story and map out your Player Choices at those events.

If your answer is B:
-- After the sex scene have that partner Reward the MC with Information or a new Object that forwards the Plot toward different endings, and have them assist the MC in their endeavors.

If your answer is C:
-- Map out how much the sex partner Likes the MC after each sex scene. (Was the sex enjoyable? +=1 Romance) The final point count will reveal who their True Love is --THEN map out the player choices that actually Change the Story.

As for getting all your Player Choices into a visual format, use a Mind-Mapping program such as FreePlane so you can SEE what you're doing.

Examples:
Type A
Story Branching5.jpg
Type B
Story Branching2.jpg
Type C
Story Branching4.jpg

I hope that helps.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#7 Post by Mutive »

Once concern I have (from reading the blurb) is that the backstory seems very heavy while the story-story is...pretty scant.

It's great to know who the protagonist is/where he comes from/etc...but that's not your *story*. The story is what's actually happening on screen. (Which, from the summary is...not very much. It's mostly twists and turns that have yet to be determined.)
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue