Nvm

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
SwingAndToons
Soundcloud: =

Nvm

#1 Post by SwingAndToons »

=Maybe I will just figure this out in a different way=

astrodragons
Projects: Miasma (student final project)
Tumblr: percysiriusdragon
Deviantart: PSiriusDragon

Re: Writing LGBT and POC characters in reincarnation

#2 Post by astrodragons »

I can understand this is a difficult topic, and while I am of the "Reincarnation is the luck of the draw" I obviously understand the sentiment of having a POC character suddenly reincarnating as white can come off as in poor taste for a lot of people, especially in the current climate, and can end up being harmful. And people will definitely take it the wrong way. It's bound to happen.

The only real aspect that is "problematic" is your terminology of "being in the wrong body". I can understand a lot of people aren't quite informed on what's going on, but word of warning, lot of people online might yell at you, so just keep an eye out (I know this from first hand experience). The term you would be looking for is "assigned the wrong gender" because gender =/= sex. There's a lot at play with what you want to do, and I think it's a really interesting idea, but as of right now, you would need to do intensive research on LGBT+ communities, and African American communities.

But I'd have to say, unless you have a lot of friends from those two communities, and can give you solid input about their experiences, do not write about their experiences.

Write a story with marginalized characters. Do not write a story about marginalized characters.

There happens to be a big difference between those two things, and I know it can be very tempting to write about them, but unless you're incredibly informed on those sorts of things, and have people there to make sure things are in order, writing about a personal experience that you have not experienced can end up being more harmful than good.

No matter what you do, you won't be able to please everyone. Your idea is definitely interesting, but I would suggest putting it on the back-burner until your more informed on those two specific aspects. Don't be afraid to reach out to people and bring them onto your project! The more input, the better!