Writing process: focus on story first vs. world-building first?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
nerupuff
Veteran

Re: Writing process: focus on story first vs. world-building first?

#16 Post by nerupuff »

Mutive wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:09 pm You can't do any of it on your own.
So you think I can't do any of it alone/I should look for other people to help me? This is confusing and I just want to clarify.
Mutive wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:09 pm I actually might start with world building. Your world will influence your characters greatly. Your world will influence the types of plots that are even possible.
Exactly my thoughts when I started with world-building for my story. I thought that it might help steer the direction of the plot as well.
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

nerupuff
Veteran

#17 Post by nerupuff »

Mammon wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:36 am No, really! When I say anyone can do it, then I really mean that this is just a matter of spending enough time completely unrelated to one's skill. Literally.
Takes patience and mastery of the wriggly line. If I am able to make a map, I'll let you know. ^^ Thank you for all the advice!
ImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#18 Post by Katy133 »

One thing writers and creators may start out with (before world-building and character) is theme.

This video essay talks about how the story's message dictates how the character is written (ie: Does the character have an arc?) and the world the story is set in (Does the hero change the world by the end of the plot?).

ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

nerupuff
Veteran

#19 Post by nerupuff »

Katy133 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:01 pm One thing writers and creators may start out with (before world-building and character) is theme.
Thank you, Katy133! This is actually super helpful and I've learned a lot just by watching! I hope to put this into practice. ^^
ImageImage

Xanedis
Projects: Project LB
Tumblr: xanedis
Deviantart: Xanedis

#20 Post by Xanedis »

I figured I'd go and explain how I create a story. Maybe it'll provide a good reference point to someone, who knows.

So here's how I(as an individual) plan out my writing process: I have a single idea, maybe it's about a fantasy world where flying fish alien invaders are coming from the sky. I usually go with a fairly fresh concept, or at least something interesting. Then I build the story from there while using the aforementioned "why" technique.
Why are the flying fish aliens invading? They're aliens, so what is their technology level? Is this a low technology level fantasy story or is the story going to be about technology vs. magic? What special traits do these fish people have that makes their brand of "alienship" different?
I also have to build the world:
What kind of world are these aliens trying to invade? What is its technology level and how are the nations reacting to the alien invasion? Will a monarchy's reaction be different from that of an empire? What about any democratic, or even entirely scholastic societies? What will be each nation's main weapon/tactic of choice? Will they unite to fight this threat, or will they stand divided?
Finally, I focus on the story: Who are the main characters? How do they fit into the world? What is their role is this conflict? Why should the reader care about their struggle: for example, is this a simple story about a family dad trying to provide for his family in a destroyed world, or will the family dad eventually become the head of a small group, growing his influence and stature as he becomes the "dad" of a bigger family. Will he eventually become a key player in the war against the flying fish aliens? What is the supporting cast like, and how do their motivations CLASH with the main character? Will they be reconciled with him/her and will they accept the main character's ideals, or will they eventually resort to undermining him, maybe even betraying him?

Once the big questions have been answered, it is(for me) usually easier to plan out the plot. I recommend adding a few twists here and there so that the story doesn't become too predictable, and some twists can turn the entire story up on its head(like "the space aliens were the good guys the whole time" ...please be careful with that particular trope if you plan on using it).

I hope this is of use to someone. :D