Programs for Organizing Scripts and Notes?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Programs for Organizing Scripts and Notes?

#1 Post by Katy133 »

I'm trying to find an alternative to Microsoft Word for writing and organizing scripts and research notes for visual novels.

I'm looking for a program with the following:
  • -Is a freeware program for Windows.
  • -Allows you to collapse text (similar the Word's collapsible headers).
  • -Can strike-through text, highlight text, and change text font.
  • -Has spellcheck (and preferably includes grammar check).
  • -Search/Find Word tool.
  • -Has a Dark Mode.
  • -Lets you organize/separate your VN's script into different chapters within one file.
If you know of any recommendations, please let me know.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Programs for Organizing Scripts and Notes?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Notepad++ offers all those features and is even able to edit renpy files directly (with some modifications)
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Cipher
Discord: Cipher#5605

#3 Post by Cipher »

I know this may seem like an obvious answer, but have you tried looking into Google Docs and Google Drive?
  • Drive allows for further project organization; asset lists, outlines, notes, etc can all be categorized into their own folders and shared as-necessary with other devs / team members.
  • Both programs are free and can be accessed offline (I've never used this feature myself, however).
  • By using the outline and header functions together, you can create chapters / scenes in a single document and navigate as-needed. It lacks collapsible headers / text, though.
  • Its comment functionality is bar none the best I've ever seen, so it should serve no problem to make, respond to, or edit notes within the script.
  • Its spell-checker isn't half bad. its grammar checker, however, barely exists and so a third-party extension (like Grammarly) may be better.
  • It has the functionality you're looking for in terms of fonts, font features, and find/search.
  • It does not have a Dark Mode, but you can install browser extensions via DarkDocs or an equivalent to enable Dark Mode? I'm not entirely sure how good it is.
  • It has offline functionality, but I've never used it.
Notepad++, as noted, is a tool a lot of developers swear by as far as script writing and programming is concerned. I haven't delved much into its functionality myself, since I mostly use it for editing and not actual scripting, though.

LibreOffice is another option to consider; though I can't vouch for it (i only used it briefly about two years ago) I do think it has most of the functionality you're looking for - including Dark Mode, which many word processors seem to lack.

Writing / Editing Services | Cipher#5605 on Discord | Portfolio

baileykun

#4 Post by baileykun »

I don't know freeware that can do all that, but I agree with Google docs being the best freeware WP.

Otherwise, I use scrivener which isn't too expensive(and there are always coupons) and has a free month trial. It does everything you listed very well and it's the only writing program I use anymore.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.

#5 Post by Katy133 »

Thank you all so much for your advice! I tried using LibreOffice at first, but the lack of collapsible headers and the lack of smooth scrolling (on a trackpad) was unbearable.

Then I tried Google Docs, but I didn't like how it required the internet to sync/load up properly, and it doesn't include a Dark Mode (though I tried getting around that using a Dark Mode Chrome extension).

So now I've switched over to Scrivener, and my goodness, I don't know how I organised things without it! It's so good! Highly recommend it.
ImageImage

Equil

#6 Post by Equil »

hmm you may have to use multiple programs so get everything you want but some recommendations that come close would be
Microsoft Excel
google drive
notepad++

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Katy133 »

Equil wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 am hmm you may have to use multiple programs so get everything you want but some recommendations that come close would be
Microsoft Excel
google drive
notepad++
Scrivener does indeed do all the things I listed in the OP. Thanks! :D
ImageImage

nelephant

#8 Post by nelephant »

My favorite (free) Word Processor (suite): WPS Office
My favorite (free, open source) Text Editor (has Renpy extension): Sublime Text

You can certainly write in a Text Editor, and Sublime is great for that. I'm sure some devs would prefer writing that is primed for coding.

But if you are used to writing in a Word Processor WPS will hit the mark.

Either program creates many common file extensions.