Script writing

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
SyphyChan
Veteran
Projects: Syphethia's Discoveries

Script writing

#1 Post by SyphyChan »

Hi I wanted to ask what a good program would be to write a script for a visual novel with branching stories. Also if anyone has any general tips for me that would be great. Thank you.

anonymouse

Re: Script writing

#2 Post by anonymouse »

I love Twine for script writing. I find it very easy to use, and I like how you can view the overall structure of the story in graph form.

I am getting close to finishing the script of my first story, and my process went like this.
  • Write the endings
  • Write the beginning
  • Add major scenes
  • Connect with minor scenes
  • Add detail as I go
  • Revise, revise, revise...
I also made some character sheets to help make sure dialog and motivations stay consistent.

RoseGardenGames
Regular
Projects: The Alien of The Occult Club
Organization: Rose Garden Games
itch: rosegardengames

#3 Post by RoseGardenGames »

I'll second Twine. The ability to be able to look at your story's actual structure is really cool.

That said, you might also give The Guide a look too. It's not like Twine with its story structuring, rather, it allows you to make your own personal wikis however you like, and it's a tool I've found invaluable since I first discovered it. It's fairly straightforward, and it could even be used in addition to Twine for other or similar purposes, so you might consider checking both out.

Good luck to you!
Image Check out my current project, The Alien of The Occult Club! Image

IronForPistons
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts (Editor), Picture Perfect Romance (Editor), Children of Cosmos (Editor)
Organization: Crystal Compass

#4 Post by IronForPistons »

Consider Scrivener. I don't personally use it, but I have a few writer friends who do and they swear by it.
Feel free to call me Iron!

Interested in editing or proofreading services? I do both, for free or trade!

Lodratio
Regular
Projects: S P H I N X

#5 Post by Lodratio »

I have experimented with various kinds of software, but, at least for me, a virtual work space has always felt less 'embodied' and been more difficult to work with than the 'manual' method of having actual, physical folders for filing your worldbuilding, notes on narrative structure, the logistics of how different routes relate to each other and so on, and keeping track of the writing progress in a personal organizer.

I'm still torn on whether it's more sensible to write the entirety of your script directly in editra, or if the benefits of writing in a word program and dealing with the scripting separately, or even of writing the first draft on paper and doing a second pass when transferring it into the game script are worth the extra time and effort.