A resource for novel posting?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
CaptainTenno

A resource for novel posting?

#1 Post by CaptainTenno »

Well, its not like I can't use google or something. I want to ask your opinion.

I will be making a game this March. But first I need to practice my English writing. Write a few short stories. Or a fanfiction to some world that is already popular. Do you know a good place to start? That is friendly to newbies yet have an audience?

I think (correct me if im wrong), that it would be most convenient to start with a fanfiction in a popular and animefied universe.

But I am a complete stranger to such resources. Due to sight problems, I read only offline books, but in my current case I have no choice, if I want to practice properly and introduce my way of storytelling to the world at the same time.

So what resources would you guys suggest?

To help you understand what im looking for:If I were an artist, I'd definitely pick DeviantArt as my prime exhibition platform. Is there a similar one for writings?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: A resource for novel posting?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'd suggest two places, one of which you literally named.

fanfiction.net
writing.com
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Equil

#3 Post by Equil »

I think wattpad could be a pretty good place too

Offworlder
Regular

#4 Post by Offworlder »

For fanfiction, I highly recommend Archive of Our Own (AO3). It's extremely popular (I'd venture to say moreso than Fanfiction.net these days), and folks leave feedback without regard to whether you're new or not. Here's a link: https://archiveofourown.org/

Posting on AO3 isn't a guarantee that you'll get feedback, as it tends to depend on whether or not your fanfic is well-received. From what I've seen, folks are more likely to leave positive feedback than critical feedback.

Another good platform (unrelated to fanfiction) is ChooseYourStory. Folks there seem more likely to leave whatever type of feedback aligns with their opinion, so it can be positive or negative. I believe this is much more useful for actually developing your writing skills, since folks can tell you WHY they didn't love what you wrote. Here's a link for that site: http://chooseyourstory.com/

Just so you know, ChooseYourStory is an online playform for writing interactive stories. Great way for getting in some practice before moving onto a full-fledged visual novel!