Balanced Protagonists

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Fisseha
Projects: Fly Fly Fly, Grey Area, SICK, Raindrops, My Girlfriend Akane
Organization: Lonely Fish
Tumblr: PoissonMorts
Deviantart: MiyukiKudo(INACTIVE)
itch: FishPrincess

Balanced Protagonists

#1 Post by Fisseha »

Hello!

I happen to have problems with both my protagonist. I fear that one might have a shallow story compared to the other.
Both have different stories but it overlaps each other, forming the main story route.

I hope to hear some tips about balancing story, thank you!
I'm an artist, and probably a weaboo.

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

Re: Balanced Protagonists

#2 Post by Mutive »

Not all stories have to be equal and not all will be equally well loved. I'd find it kind of weird to play a VN where the two arcs were exactly the same length and I liked both exactly the same.

With that said, if one is awesome and amazing and the other clearly doesn't have any reason to exist, maybe cut the one that doesn't make sense to have? Similarly, if you have one well developed character and one who just isn't, it makes sense either to flesh out the less developed character or cut them all together.
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Re: Balanced Protagonists

#3 Post by Katy133 »

It may be that one of your protagonists has a character arc (they go through changes), while the other does not (they stay the same from the beginning of the story to the end). Now, that's not a bad thing. There's a great television series called Good Omens that has two protagonists: An angel (named Aziraphale) and a demon (named Crowley). The series has Aziraphale go through a character arc where he realises that he has more in common with his demon counterpart than his angel co-workers and learns to question his superiors' actions more and more, while Crowley stays more or less the same because he was curious from the start of the story and was questioning things from the beginning.

I'm going to assume that your VN protagonist that feels underwritten is the one without a character arc. If this is the case, then what you need to do to fix the issue is to give that protagonist a "flat arc." Here is a video that talks about what a flat arc is, and illustrates good examples of protagonists who go through a flat arc.

ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!