Character's/Main personality

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

Character's/Main personality

#1 Post by isobellesophia »

Hello everyone.

While digging up some ideas, i want to hear your opinions about the characters/main personality, and what do you guys think is the best option of your created characters in your visual novels? I would love to hear from you all so i can know what is the better personality of him/her.
  • Normal/Good
    Evil
    Very happy/Energetic
    Intelligent
    Tsundere
    Yandere
    Flirty
    Weird
    Silent/Quiet
    Calm
    Crazy
My main character's main personality is... good and calm, which is the best suit to my very friendly game.
About the main character, what is your best choosen personality for him/her? :)

Thanks.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

Re: Character's/Main personality

#2 Post by Milkymalk »

Any.
It is purely a matter of preference. Don't plan your characters based on a few answers in a forum, plan them so they fit into your story.
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)

jdhthegr8
Regular
Projects: Fractured Spirits- A war drama set in a fictional world with WW2/Cold War themes

Re: Character's/Main personality

#3 Post by jdhthegr8 »

I view characters as a product of their world. So when making characters, rather than start with a specific personality I start by looking at who this character is as a person. In the case of my own story, at least one of the following traits plays a significant role in the personality of each major character:

Nationality
Ethnicity
Religious identity
Class background
Home life/family relations

Then, I consider how these ideas when applied to a character could add to and shape their personality as well as how they can provide opportunity for drama, conflict, and growth. For example, one character belongs to an oppressed grouping of people but also sees justice in service to their nation. In the course of the story, they will come to decide which elements of their identity they are willing to embrace and which they are willing to sacrifice. It stands to reason therefore that this character will be outwardly vocal but have a certain amount of inner unvoiced thoughts. They have to "keep their hand close", and that will shape their interactions with others accordingly.

Another character has a strong sense of tradition and cultural/religious identity with a close upbringing which shapes their perception of the world and their approach to the idea of justice, but they are then forced to face contradictions within this. This character is able to find joy in the simple things but will have a hard time adapting to changes imposed on them. Basically, rather than start with "I want a mysterious, quiet personality" or "I want a friendly and morally good character", I start with "This is what this person is". For a serious drama with realistic personalities, this works better. But ultimately, what personality works best as the main character depends entirely on the type of story you want to tell and how you design them will have to consider that. Even these traits I described only matter because such things are relevant to the world they are set in.