Writing a time loop

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
inky-brigitte
Projects: The Azure Sky
Deviantart: inky-brigitte
Soundcloud: inky-brigitte

Writing a time loop

#1 Post by inky-brigitte »

Hello.

I'm writing a time loop VN (like Steins;Gate) and I'm thinking of a way to branch the story.

So far, there have been 2 approaches:
  • The player get to make decisions in the beginning and sees the outcome. Later on, they go back to the past. The story automatically choose different choices for them (i.e. you picked "Yes" in the beginning, so now the story now picks "No").
  • The player doesn't get to choose in the beginning, and lives through the original timeline. Later on, they go back to the past. This time, they get to make the choices.
Which one should I choose? Any advices would be appreciated. Thank you! :D

Inksword
Regular
Tumblr: inksword

Re: Writing a time loop

#2 Post by Inksword »

I'd say if its a short loop, lead them on a single path the first time through, with some choices that change minor things but generally aren't anything huge. It's the character going about their normal life, not doing anything weird or huge because it's normal life. Once it loops they can start doing big/unusual things because the stakes are suddenly up and they are trying to get to the bottom of the mystery or end the loop or whatever. I think this really helps sell the change of status quo once the time loop asserts itself and mirrors how an actual person would act where they'd start doing more extreme things even if they were normal before the loop.

I wouldn't give NO choices the first time round. Just make them minor ones that maybe reveal a little different character or get to pick the order of things (go grocery shopping and then watch internet videos, or do internet videos first and then grocery shop or whatever.) That way they still get to engage actively just a little bit instead of just reading.

However, if it's a long loop, one that takes a long time to get through the first time, I'd give meaningful choices the first time around so the player isn't left without agency for too long. VN players want their choices to matter, and having them sit through a LONG period of pointless choices means instead of just building mood and character you'll be turning people off.

That's all just my opinion and how I'd handle it! Other people will probably have other opinions!

inky-brigitte
Projects: The Azure Sky
Deviantart: inky-brigitte
Soundcloud: inky-brigitte

Re: Writing a time loop

#3 Post by inky-brigitte »

Inksword wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:42 am I'd say if its a short loop, lead them on a single path the first time through, with some choices that change minor things but generally aren't anything huge. It's the character going about their normal life, not doing anything weird or huge because it's normal life. Once it loops they can start doing big/unusual things because the stakes are suddenly up and they are trying to get to the bottom of the mystery or end the loop or whatever. I think this really helps sell the change of status quo once the time loop asserts itself and mirrors how an actual person would act where they'd start doing more extreme things even if they were normal before the loop.

I wouldn't give NO choices the first time round. Just make them minor ones that maybe reveal a little different character or get to pick the order of things (go grocery shopping and then watch internet videos, or do internet videos first and then grocery shop or whatever.) That way they still get to engage actively just a little bit instead of just reading.

However, if it's a long loop, one that takes a long time to get through the first time, I'd give meaningful choices the first time around so the player isn't left without agency for too long. VN players want their choices to matter, and having them sit through a LONG period of pointless choices means instead of just building mood and character you'll be turning people off.

That's all just my opinion and how I'd handle it! Other people will probably have other opinions!
Thank you very much for the advice. That's very helpful.

Since it's a moderately long loop, I'm working towards the 1st option. I realized that, if the player gets to make decisions at first, there will be more room for story branching afterwards.