How do you keep your writing short? >_>

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Riko Ingram
Projects: Character Artist: MGLA
Discord: Riko#7077

How do you keep your writing short? >_>

#1 Post by Riko Ingram »

Hi! As in the title, how do you keep your writing short? ⊙ˍ⊙

Each time I start trying to outline a plot for a miniature VN I'd like to start with, I feel like the story would be uninteresting if I don't add some additional archs and plot twists and I end up looking at a scenario for something massive that I know I wouldn't be able to pull off on my own, nor I'd really want to.

I've seen there's plenty of shorter VNs around and I'm always in awe, how do you guys manage to convey stories in such a short form and stop yourself from writing a 500 page novel instead? And make them interesting to top that?

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: How do you keep your writing short? >_>

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

I actually wrote an article about this kind of thing in a free zine a while back that you might find useful! (The one called "Getting Started with Game Jams" - but a lot of it is generally relevant to making your first short VN whether you're participating in a game jam or not.) Something I mention in there that might work is taking one of your big ideas and focusing in on a really small part of it. For instance, you could write about the first day that two important characters met and what happened to bring them together and how they started getting to know each other, without worrying about any of the rest of the surrounding lore yet. Just see how writing that small part of the idea goes, and you could always add more in a sequel later! You could also look for some other short VNs to read for inspiration, and think about how they structure their stories and how that might differ from longer form fiction. Entries in past game jams like nanoreno and the yaoi and yuri jams would probably be a good start!
ImageImageImage

Riko Ingram
Projects: Character Artist: MGLA
Discord: Riko#7077

#3 Post by Riko Ingram »

Heeey, that sounds like an idea alright! I totally could go with just the characters meeting and hoping to make further part/s in the future. The article was super helpful too, not only about writing, but it's good to know there's a jam calendar on itch! And that yaoi jam is on... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Thanks!

droo_radley
Regular
Completed: Gloom and Doom
Organization: Neo Tegoel Games
itch: neotegoelgames

#4 Post by droo_radley »

Always structure your story before you start writing. Establish how it starts, how it ends, and how to quickly and efficiently go from the start to the end. Don't add fluff like side stories yet. If your main story doesn't feel complete, then you make it work.

The story will be interesting if you know exactly what you're trying to say in it. What's the theme? What is the character growth you're trying to develop? Focus on that, and you'll have an efficient little story.

Look at short stories and novellas. Sometimes, start, middle, and end can exist within a single scene!
Drew,
Neo Tegoel Games
Come chat to me on Twitter!
And please check out Gloom and Doom - a comedy VN about supernatural slackers