Non-Flowchart Options For Scriptwriting?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Saro

Non-Flowchart Options For Scriptwriting?

#1 Post by Saro »

Hello! I am the Head Writer on an upcoming fan-made anime dating sim. As the Head Writer, I am in desperate need of a good template/program for my writers to follow as they write their route [we have an over-arching consistent game plot, of course, but each writer is responsible for a different Love Interest's route]. Our programming team has asked for a script-style format and not flowcharts or other branching diagrams.

Our Basic Game Mechanic

It's essentially a pretty basic =/- stat mechanic. Player choices will add or remove points from their point total. Based on number of Attraction Points at each calculation point, here's how our paths will work.

Players are split into two paths, Good Path (GP) and Bad Path (BP), based on their number of Attraction Points. We are not allowing infinite branching and will constrain players to GP or BP without allowing them to constantly switch back-and-forth at every dialogue point.

However, choices on each path can have 2 options on the same path for the next dialogue piece, like a mini-branch that will double back to the main path. It's not a true path switch as both options will flow into the next dialogue piece on the same path (it just adds a little dialogue variety for the Love Interest).

At regular points, both GP and BP will flow into a Non-Point Interaction (NPI). The Love Interest will say something that works for both, then points will be re-calculated and the player will switch paths or stay on the same one, depending on their points.

I made a quick little mock-up in Google Docs (attached), but I'm basically wondering if there's an easier or better way to write our scripts as none of us have written specifically for a dating sim or other choose-your-own-adventure writing. I created the game mechanic, the paths, the point system including NPIs, and the over-arching plot, but please understand that I am also just so new at this and trying my best to make our writing team run smoothly. Our requirements are: no flowcharts, whatever program we use must be free.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Potential Scriptwriting Template [UNVERIFIED, DO NOT USE YET).docx.pdf
(41.43 KiB) Downloaded 67 times