Best microphone for voice acting?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Chanda
Regular
Projects: Aella of Athens (WIP)
Organization: Visual Butterfly
Deviantart: spowers161
itch: visualbutterfly

Best microphone for voice acting?

#1 Post by Chanda »

I have an AKG P120 but I was looking at the Rode NT 1 bundle on B&H Photo. I was wondering if I should get it, but if I was going to get a nice mic I want to get a 'nice' mic. Can anyone suggest a bundle?

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Re: Best microphone for voice acting?

#2 Post by Katy133 »

I'm using a Blue Snowball and I love it. It's noticeably improved the quality of my voice recording.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

IronForPistons
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts (Editor), Picture Perfect Romance (Editor), Children of Cosmos (Editor)
Organization: Crystal Compass

#3 Post by IronForPistons »

I also have a Blue Snowball - I don't do anything professional, but I've done a decent bit of video/narration work, and I've really liked it as well. It gets looked down on for being a USB mic sometimes, so it can be inconvenient if you have a more complicated setup, but for general use (including VAing) I think it's great!
Feel free to call me Iron!

Interested in editing or proofreading services? I do both, for free or trade!

Funes
Regular
Projects: Aura Aspic / Ikrana
Tumblr: Fvnes
Soundcloud: izakayafunes

#4 Post by Funes »

I tested a lot the NT1. It's a really good mic. I prefer the NT2-A because of the polar patterns but if you are going to use it voice acting, the NT1 is fine.
Have in mind that you need an audio interface to connect it, so have that in mind before buying.
Do you want to check out my music? Click here or send me a PM!
Soundcloud
Youtube

MarkusLappalainen
Regular
Completed: Several short films and games (including VNs)
Projects: A feature film, a short film and my own music
Organization: Audio Cabin from the North
Soundcloud: Markus Lappalainen

#5 Post by MarkusLappalainen »

Microphones are a bit tricky. Each microphone has their own sound. Some of them fit better with other voices. Others fit better with others. Instead of jumping into the "what [GEAR] makes X better" train, let me suggest a few things that don't require money.

Condenser microphones (the microphones used for voice recording (usually)) like Blue Snowball, NT1, AKG-P120 have what is called "proximity effect". What it means is that the characteristics of the recorded signal change depending of the distance to the microphone. The closer you are, more low end boom or roundness, warmth, the signal accumulates. If you are far away the opposite happens. Play with this to find a good distance.

Microphones can also be used angled. You don't necessarily need to be right in front of it. Microphones capture some frequencies differently from different angles. Play with this to find a good, nice sounding angle.

Record at different times of day. Your voice changes throughout the day. Try recording in the morning, night, day etc. Basically different types of tired or awake to see when your voice fits best to what ever you are trying to capture.

After all this you still can grab an EQ to adjust frequency balance and a compressor for the dynamics etc etc. You dont always need a new mic :)

Just a few tips!
Have a happy day! 8)
- Markus Lappalainen, composer & music consultant
Scoring Portfolio

Chanda
Regular
Projects: Aella of Athens (WIP)
Organization: Visual Butterfly
Deviantart: spowers161
itch: visualbutterfly

#6 Post by Chanda »

Funes wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:46 pm I tested a lot the NT1. It's a really good mic. I prefer the NT2-A because of the polar patterns but if you are going to use it voice acting, the NT1 is fine.
Have in mind that you need an audio interface to connect it, so have that in mind before buying.
I have an akg p120 so I have the scarlett solo as well. Is the scarlett solo an audio interface?

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#7 Post by noeinan »

I use a Blue Yeti and it is extremely high quality at a great price, and USB plugs right into the computer. I bought a second one when my spouse dropped and broke mine, 10/10 would recommend.

MarkusLappalainen
Regular
Completed: Several short films and games (including VNs)
Projects: A feature film, a short film and my own music
Organization: Audio Cabin from the North
Soundcloud: Markus Lappalainen

#8 Post by MarkusLappalainen »

spowers161 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:26 pm Is the scarlett solo an audio interface?
Yes, it is :)
Have a happy day! 8)
- Markus Lappalainen, composer & music consultant
Scoring Portfolio

PeterKmiecik
Regular
Tumblr: peterkmiecik
Deviantart: peterkmiecik

#9 Post by PeterKmiecik »

I dunno if this is what pros are using, but I have BEHRINGER C-1U microphone and gotta say it is quite solid for what I am doing. Just get pop filter and amplify the input because it can be little to quiet. Its not so expensive so it was best compromise of price/quality for me.