Sibelius sounds

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
retribute

Sibelius sounds

#1 Post by retribute »

I compose using sibelius 6 student and recently I have been wondering is there a way to make a .wav file or a .midi file sound realistic

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: Sibelius sounds

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

You might be able to export the midi file to another program and find some more realistic voices... I'm trying to figure this out too. :lol:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Ziassan
Veteran

#3 Post by Ziassan »

Never used Sibelius and don't have any idea of how all is going on in this software.

But. I just suspected that as mostly all music softwares, it could handle VST (virtual instruments) and don't involve the use of another softs etc.

Just google it, or if you're too lazy, just take a look at : http://www.johnglossenger.com/TIPS_FOR_ ... LIUS_6.htm

Using VST will give a better sound. You just need to find the good ones.

yukipon
Regular
Organization: SJP

#4 Post by yukipon »

retribute wrote:I compose using sibelius 6 student and recently I have been wondering is there a way to make a .wav file or a .midi file sound realistic
Sibelius 6 Student doesn't come with the Sibelius Sound Essentials that Sibelius 6 has. You'll have to purchase third-party VST's and libraries like Kontakt, Aria, or the Garritan Sound Sets available on their website if you want realistic sounds. Or just take the midi file and import it to FLStudio (or another program), but you'll still run into realistic sound issues if you don't have the proper libraries.

Or you could just record from a microphone with a real instrument (ReWire). I've never tried this option though, so you'll have to read up on it.
"How do you know my name? Damn, this can only mean one of two things: Either we have met, and you are telling the truth, and I just can't remember it, or you are a spy." ~Setou Kenji (Katawa Shoujo)
Status: Thinking. Planning. And playing Phantasy Star Online 2 JP.

Ziassan
Veteran

#5 Post by Ziassan »

About VST, you have a lot of Free VST on the web, I've myself a bunch of it.
Quality is really unequal from one to the other. You see, you can get really good sounds but that becomes difficult if you want the sound of a real instrument (like piano, guitar, etc).

I use sometime Rewired with my electric guitar, that's really interesting but only if you have a "Line in" port to plug your instrument. And you need the real instrument anyway.
If you have a keyboard you can use its sounds also.

But while it's about VN music or things like that, free VST are good enough.

retribute

#6 Post by retribute »

Thanks all, I my freind has kontakt 4 so I am playing my stuff through that... Doesn't sound much better though, might just be me :lol:
My compositions are on soundcloud (http://soundcloud.com/retribute) I'm currently composing for Love² but I'd love some feedback!

yukipon
Regular
Organization: SJP

#7 Post by yukipon »

retribute wrote:Thanks all, I my freind has kontakt 4 so I am playing my stuff through that... Doesn't sound much better though, might just be me :lol:
My compositions are on soundcloud (http://soundcloud.com/retribute) I'm currently composing for Love² but I'd love some feedback!
Super late reply!

Yeah, I know how that's like. I have the same issues too with realism, but it might be because I'm using Kontakt Player with a very limited set of VST's. At times though, after working with Sibelius for a few hours just to make the playback sound more "human", I just feel like closing it, grabbing an instrument, and performing in front of a microphone live. xD

Also, for compositions, I like the majority of them, but I think you should experiment with faster tempos or with faster melody lines; some of the songs kind of sound stagnant after a while (an issue I have too), so consider doing something fast and dramatic, or maybe adding something unusual or unique, something that you're not accustomed to doing. 12:01AM was a good demonstration of what you could do. Also, I really like it out of all your compositions. ^^
"How do you know my name? Damn, this can only mean one of two things: Either we have met, and you are telling the truth, and I just can't remember it, or you are a spy." ~Setou Kenji (Katawa Shoujo)
Status: Thinking. Planning. And playing Phantasy Star Online 2 JP.

retribute

#8 Post by retribute »

Also, for compositions, I like the majority of them, but I think you should experiment with faster tempos or with faster melody lines; some of the songs kind of sound stagnant after a while (an issue I have too), so consider doing something fast and dramatic, or maybe adding something unusual or unique, something that you're not accustomed to doing. 12:01AM was a good demonstration of what you could do. Also, I really like it out of all your compositions. ^^
Thanks for the advice and double thanks for the compliment :D

Beck

#9 Post by Beck »

J- Composing is only about half the battle. If you do recording of live stuff, your engineer will tell you than laying down the tracks is only about a third. What you're going to have to do, is get into a DAW and start going velocities, tempo changes, all the fun stuff. There's documentation places on the internet, if I find them again, I'll drop them here.

mjshi
Regular
Completed: MazeSite01, Ponderings of Time

#10 Post by mjshi »

@ retribute: Try Finale (Finale Notepad is free, only limit is 1 page per composition, easily bypassable by multiple compositions), I find its string instrument sounds there to be very realistic when you export to .wav. MIDI... let's just say the sound is reduced to little more than bleeps.