Soundcard...?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Surufe
Regular
Projects: [secret]
Organization: t-a-s-t-e Inc.

Soundcard...?

#1 Post by Surufe »

My soundcard broke a long time ago and I'm too lazy to replace it. And now, when I'm starting with VA and singing again, I don't have a soundcard so the sound isn't very good. I'm pretty broke right now so anyone got advice for good quality cheap soundcard? (2.1 by the way)
New Account - Rye
I'm no longer using this account.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Soundcard...?

#2 Post by fleet »

Check the creative labs web site for sound blaster sound cards. They have a variety of sound cards from $30 US to over $200.
Disclaimer: I am not associated with creative labs, other than being a customer.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Surufe
Regular

#3 Post by Surufe »

Wow, the price is pretty great compare to my old Onkyo. Thanks for helping
New Account - Rye

Surufe
Regular

#4 Post by Surufe »

I hate double posting but anyone know if the Creative 3D Blaster 2.1 is good to use?
New Account - Rye

AxemRed
Veteran

#5 Post by AxemRed »

What would you use it for? You say you're interested in voice acting and singing, but neither requires a high-end sound card -- only a microphone.

Surufe
Regular

#6 Post by Surufe »

Uhm... So what should I buy? I saw the Creative Sound X-Fi, I think. Price is pretty good and suitable. How about that?
New Account - Rye

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#7 Post by fleet »

Surufe wrote:Uhm... So what should I buy? I saw the Creative Sound X-Fi, I think. Price is pretty good and suitable. How about that?

How many inputs do you need?

What kind of open slots do you have in your computer? A PCIe card won't fit in a PCI slot, nor will a PCI card fit in a PCIe slot.

What operating system are you running? You need to be sure drivers are available for your operating system.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Surufe
Regular

#8 Post by Surufe »

I'm not sure but I'm going to buy an Creative SB X-Fi USB for Notebook-PC. Because I'm using a laptop and it is the only one I knew suitable for laptop has two input.
New Account - Rye

ZackParrish
Regular

#9 Post by ZackParrish »

Creative cards are a terrible choice for anybody doing audio production. They are intended for use by the average consumer, mainly geared toward entertainment.

Look into M-Audio's line of cards. If you're on a budget I'd recommend...

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/2674 ... nQodwDYA0g

If money isn't an issue...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--RMEHDSPEPCIE

This is of course assuming you want the best quality of sound possible out of your audio card, taking into considering the frequency response across the spectrum. Creative cards color the tone of the audio regardless of the settings you use on them, and audio cards designed specifically for audio production typically don't. M-Audio is solid for it's price range, RME is like... legit.

Rye
Regular
Projects: : MAlice :

#10 Post by Rye »

Hummm....
Talking about the money stuffs ^^ Haha...
Anyway, I can't believe I'm still can't decide by now. And I guess I can't use M-Audio? Because it is only for PCI while .... Hum... What do they call 'laptop'?
I'm hiatus from everything for exam... Slow pace on projects. I need to write and draw..
"I'm wearing your granddad's clothes. I look incredible." - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

ZackParrish
Regular

#11 Post by ZackParrish »

Ah, sorry... didn't realize you were using a notebook, laptop, etc... whatever you want to call it I suppose.

Do you have a firewire port? Or at the least USB3.0?

Rye
Regular

#12 Post by Rye »

Yes, it is at the least USB3.0 . Do it require for some kind of card?
I'm hiatus from everything for exam... Slow pace on projects. I need to write and draw..
"I'm wearing your granddad's clothes. I look incredible." - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

ZackParrish
Regular

#13 Post by ZackParrish »

No, but USB2.0 is kind of slow in comparison if you plan on using an external audio device.

M-Audio makes a few external audio devices, but just about anything external that's decent costs more than internal... and it also doesn't really effect performance any as far as buffering goes since the CPU still has to process the signal coming from the USB port. But USB3.0 processes much quicker.

If you aren't planning on mixing down multiple tracks and just doing single track recordings, you should be fine since latency won't really be a big issue.

Rye
Regular

#14 Post by Rye »

Okay, I will keeping that in mind and checking if there is any Soundcard like that near my place.

AxemRed
Veteran

#15 Post by AxemRed »

What kind of crazy sound setup do you need more than 480 Mbit/s (USB2 speed) for?