Replacing the Midi Soundcard

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

Replacing the Midi Soundcard

#1 Post by Coren »

I've been making midi songs in Finale Notepad, but the midi soundcard sounds pretty bad, so how do I replace those instruments with better mp3 versions so that the song as a whole sounds better? Thanks!

redcat
Regular

Re: Replacing the Midi Soundcard

#2 Post by redcat »

Kirroha wrote:I've been making midi songs in Finale Notepad, but the midi soundcard sounds pretty bad, so how do I replace those instruments with better mp3 versions so that the song as a whole sounds better? Thanks!
How about using soundfont instead of general midi?
Meowwngg...??

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo

#3 Post by Coren »

Soundfont sounds pretty bad too. /: I'm currently looking for midi-to-mp3 conversion software for my music that can replace those noisy midi soundcard notes with better quality instruments, but solmire.com doesn't seem to be doing the trick... What do you guys use?

redcat
Regular

#4 Post by redcat »

Kirroha wrote:Soundfont sounds pretty bad too. /: I'm currently looking for midi-to-mp3 conversion software for my music that can replace those noisy midi soundcard notes with better quality instruments, but solmire.com doesn't seem to be doing the trick... What do you guys use?
I wonder what kind of 'noisy' sound that you're talking about. :D Do you have any sample of your music?

To convert from midi to mp3 or wav, you need soundfont (or vst plugin) in the converter software. If the sound is still terrible, you might need to change the soundfont to a better one - or a better editing software like fruity loops which has a lot of bell and whistles (but it's expensive)
Meowwngg...??

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#5 Post by Coren »

redcat wrote:
Kirroha wrote:Soundfont sounds pretty bad too. /: I'm currently looking for midi-to-mp3 conversion software for my music that can replace those noisy midi soundcard notes with better quality instruments, but solmire.com doesn't seem to be doing the trick... What do you guys use?
I wonder what kind of 'noisy' sound that you're talking about. :D Do you have any sample of your music?

To convert from midi to mp3 or wav, you need soundfont (or vst plugin) in the converter software. If the sound is still terrible, you might need to change the soundfont to a better one - or a better editing software like fruity loops which has a lot of bell and whistles (but it's expensive)
Do you have any suggestions of a midi to mp3 converter software and a good soundfont to go along with it? O: I've been using Solmire for a while now and I'd rather have a proper downloadable midi to mp3 converted on my desktop.

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#6 Post by ShippoK »

Don't know if this would be of help but I use and recommend Hootech's Midi to MP3 Converter.

Hope that can solve the problem.
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#7 Post by Coren »

I'm mainly looking for a midi to mp3 converter that has a good soundfont, like said Fluid R3, not a midi to mp3 converter itself, though.

canyouseeitnow

#8 Post by canyouseeitnow »

You need to make music in a more flexible HOST. In order to get good sounds, you need quality PLUGINs.

Finale Notepad is a host. It allows you to compose music via it's scoring sequencer. However, Finale notepad is not a very capable host of using different plugins (instruments).

You need to get a Host program that allows you to load good sounding instrument. Here are some good commercial ones:

Reason (you cannot load 3rd parties, but what it comes with sounds very good. good for beginners).
Cubase
Sonar
FL Studio (Very user friendly. This is what I recommend).

I recommend you get FL Studio "Fruity Edition." It allows you to sequence and load plugins. It's the plugins that you want, not a converter. But you need a Host program to run plugins. It's $100 but it's definitely something you need.

There are some free ones, but they are more complex to navigate.
http://ardour.org/
http://lmms.sourceforge.net/home.php
Garageband (if you have a mac)

So unless you move out of finale notepad, it's impossible to get good sounds. By moving to a flexible host, you can start downloading soundfonts you find lying around on the internet and being able to load them freely. You can also find free VST Plugins that sound much better that whatever you're using now.