Um, can I ask for some music critique?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Palas
Soundcloud: palasvuash
itch: pequigames

Um, can I ask for some music critique?

#1 Post by Palas »

See, I'd like to make music for VNs someday, since music is usually what makes or breaks a VN to me. I know I'm in no position to offer services yet, though - I feel I lack in too many areas for that. So... would anyone be so kind as to give me tips regarding composition and mixing and whatever else I may be overlooking? I have some material at my Soundcloud up for critique, but since most pieces are named with the dates I started them it might be a pain to go through them, so here are the ones I personally think are a little better than the rest:

*Proj. 27/04/13
*Proj. 03/03/14
*Proj. 15/12/13
*Proj. 12/11/13

Thanks in advance :)

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

Re: Um, can I ask for some music critique?

#2 Post by wyverngem »

These are well done, if you want more practice with visual novels why not volunteer to work on a project? :D

Palas

#3 Post by Palas »

That is very kind of you. Thanks~!

I would love to work on a project, but for now I think it would be for the best if I developed my skills. I've been lurking for a while and Lemmasoft composers' portfolios' are all amazing! Sure they might have worked on projects before, but I think I might want to catch up, at least in terms of "learning how to handle more instruments" first.

Heartstrings
Regular
Projects: Currently Unnamed Project

#4 Post by Heartstrings »

I would like to preface this by saying I liked all the songs, but you asked for critique, so here it is.

The first song really didn't sound like something that belonged in a VN. In my personal experience VN BGM is best to keep instrumental.
The second song was very good, but a little to overbearing for BGM. It would be distracting to try to read while that song was playing.
The third song was fine, if not a little bland.
The fourth song was perfectly fine! It was well paced, interesting, and seemed quite fitting for a VN.

Overall I'd say you definitely have the potential to make great music for visual novels with only a little bit of practice and experience. Good luck man, maybe someday I'll ask you to make music for one of my games!

Palas

#5 Post by Palas »

My thanks! I see, I really have to fix pacing and overall atmosphere. Playing more VNs will probably amend that. Which is never a bad thing anyway.