Making Songs

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
x_ForgottenSmile_x

Making Songs

#1 Post by x_ForgottenSmile_x »

So... I've been trying to compose a song and all for my novel, and well... I'm not so good at it. ._.
I tried thinking for a tune or even a few lyrics but everything that comes out of my mind is um... What's the word... Unpleasant? It seriously doesn't make sense and the tone is very dull. So I wanted to know how people compose songs. I'm amazed at composers and respect them more than I usually do now because it's hard thinking of these things.

I can sing, but it wouldn't be enough to be able to make a song.

Can somebody give me advice on how to think of making songs. Sharing experiences is also helpful! :)

That's all for now.

Ciao~

TheChris
Regular
Projects: Stickshooter
Deviantart: innocencecanceller

Re: Making Songs

#2 Post by TheChris »

I'm a songwriter/composer, but before that I was just an instrumentalist (guitar). You should consider learning either simple guitar or piano, and then you have to learn how to sing while playing whichever instrument you choose. It is also a good idea to learn some basic music theory. Music theory is an explanation of why/how music works. If you know that, it makes it easier to start writing a song.

Even if you end up deciding to use MIDI for your novel, learning to sing while accompanying yourself on an instrument is probably the simplest way to really get into songwriting/composing and learn what is required to start doing it.

I hope I made sense. Feel free to ask me how to get started if your interested.

x_ForgottenSmile_x

#3 Post by x_ForgottenSmile_x »

TheChris wrote:I'm a songwriter/composer, but before that I was just an instrumentalist (guitar). You should consider learning either simple guitar or piano, and then you have to learn how to sing while playing whichever instrument you choose. It is also a good idea to learn some basic music theory. Music theory is an explanation of why/how music works. If you know that, it makes it easier to start writing a song.

Even if you end up deciding to use MIDI for your novel, learning to sing while accompanying yourself on an instrument is probably the simplest way to really get into songwriting/composing and learn what is required to start doing it.

I hope I made sense. Feel free to ask me how to get started if your interested.
Actually, I can play the piano (I just started last year though). I am interested :D So once I have questions I'll PM you when I have free time.

Kongret
Soundcloud: Kongret

#4 Post by Kongret »

I usually do it this way:
1. You need a chord progression. If your song is verse-chorus-verse-chorus you need at least two to create a very basic structure. You can either make one yourself, or use loops or even a karaoke instrumental if you are just practicing.
2. Create a melody on any instrument, but keep in mind the ability of a person who is going to sing it.
3. Try to sing it, some things that make sense as an instrumental, are not as natural for vocals. Adjust and polish as much as you can.
4. Learn the melody.
5. Write lyrics.
6. Daijobu.

x_ForgottenSmile_x

#5 Post by x_ForgottenSmile_x »

Kongret wrote:I usually do it this way:
1. You need a chord progression. If your song is verse-chorus-verse-chorus you need at least two to create a very basic structure. You can either make one yourself, or use loops or even a karaoke instrumental if you are just practicing.
2. Create a melody on any instrument, but keep in mind the ability of a person who is going to sing it.
3. Try to sing it, some things that make sense as an instrumental, are not as natural for vocals. Adjust and polish as much as you can.
4. Learn the melody.
5. Write lyrics.
6. Daijobu.
Thank you, this is really helpful!

Yoshiii343
Tumblr: yoshiii343
Soundcloud: sredathebreda

#6 Post by Yoshiii343 »

4. Learn the melody.
5. Write lyrics.
6. Daijobu.
This, 'cept that vocals (therefore step 5) can be optional.
Also, don't force the process or over-complicate it. If you feel the song needs to be simple, make it so. If it needs to be complex, do it.

x_ForgottenSmile_x

#7 Post by x_ForgottenSmile_x »

Yoshiii343 wrote:
4. Learn the melody.
5. Write lyrics.
6. Daijobu.
This, 'cept that vocals (therefore step 5) can be optional.
Also, don't force the process or over-complicate it. If you feel the song needs to be simple, make it so. If it needs to be complex, do it.
You have a point. I'll try my best not to over-complicate it, I'll pour my feelings onto a piece of paper if I can! It's not that easy though ._.