Song Suggestions For Personal Project?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
JustABox

Song Suggestions For Personal Project?

#1 Post by JustABox »

My friend and I are both starting to make visual novels. I haven't started mine yet (still trying to get the hang of Ren'Py), but I've noticed my friend has been struggling to find songs that would fit in with his story. As far as I can tell, his focuses heavily on action, most likely with some romance here and there (he's a sucker for that kind of thing). Mine will probably have a serious tone with slightly dark themes in the beginning, then slowly transition to upbeat and funny. Licensed music is fine, we won't be releasing these for a profit. We both like rock/alternative/metal music, so anything like that would be great. Game soundtracks would also be nice, I've already picked out a few from FF7 Advent Children and the Metal Gear series. I would do this myself, but I just don't have the time to sift through thousands of songs and pick out the good ones. Also it's nice to see what music other people like instead of limiting myself to songs I know.

If anybody is interested, the story I'm adapting to visual novel format can be found here.

TyberAlyx
Regular

Re: Song Suggestions For Personal Project?

#2 Post by TyberAlyx »

JustABox wrote:Mine will probably have a serious tone with slightly dark themes in the beginning.
I actually know a song with the same title of your visual novel and has this theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l92MvwLIkY

keisunagi

Re: Song Suggestions For Personal Project?

#3 Post by keisunagi »

Hey!

Just a bit heads up, but using copyrighted music of any sort is technically illegal, and it doesn't matter if your project is profit or non-profit.
Most of the time, creators will let it slide, but just to be on the safe side, stick to CC music.

You weren't very specific about the songs you want, so I'm just going to assume that the music is going to be for background music.
In visual novels, I believe that the background shouldn't take away the focus, so why don't you try out piano music? Joe Hisaishi is a great artist.
As far as background music goes, you can always borrow some from other visual novels if you are willing to take the risk. I personally suggest White Album 2's Introductory Chapter OST's, since they sound very nice, and they can be made to loop. There are lots of visual novels out there, and there are lots of content creators in this site.

PS: If you want, I'll create some piano loops/songs for you. I am a musician, and I want to built a bit of a profile in this site, so it'll be free of charge. Just PM me! (BGM only, not experienced enough for other things like OP/ED)

Cheers!
-Kei