Music looking for feedback and criticism

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Weonix
Projects: Knell of St.Godhrkar
Soundcloud: Weonix

Music looking for feedback and criticism

#1 Post by Weonix »

Hello, I am an amutuar composer of some sort. I recently make the following soundtracks and wish to improve them as well as my skill, so I hope to get some helpful feedback for them. Thank you very much!

Here are the two soundtracks:
https://soundcloud.com/weonix/overflown-arrogance
https://soundcloud.com/weonix/remnant-rekindler

How do they sound in general? Where there any parts that need to be improved?
I know that I am really inexperienced, so I am prepared for any sort of feedback.

By the way, can anyone also tell me what genre would one would classify each of them to be? I have been searching a while but I cannot find any definitive answer.

KittyWills
Regular
Projects: e·phem·er·al, Aeronaut
Organization: KKBGames

Re: Music looking for feedback and criticism

#2 Post by KittyWills »

The first one is really good. I would use it. =D

The second is a little busy. That organ gets a little droning and with the snare I would have like a "bass drop" somewhere. But it pretty good.

Good stuff mate~

Weonix

#3 Post by Weonix »

Thank you!
Do you think the organ gets droning because of it is repeating the same melody or is it a problem of the sound itself?

KittyWills
Regular
Projects: e·phem·er·al, Aeronaut
Organization: KKBGames

#4 Post by KittyWills »

I would say there is to many notes going on. It kinda all melds together after a minute.

Weonix

#5 Post by Weonix »

KKBGames wrote:I would say there is to many notes going on. It kinda all melds together after a minute.
This slightly troubles me, since most of the time there are only two lines of notes from the organ at once, but If I remove any of them, the music starts to sound a bit weird. But I guess this may just be a problem of me being too familiar with this version. I will have to take more time see I can properly adjust it.

In the mean while, I still welcome more feedback and criticism on both tracks.

Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

#6 Post by Dreamgazer »

Hello, Weonix! I like your drive to improve. (Plus, I know how that feels like.)

In general, it reminds me of a video game soundtrack. This is just my personal preference, but I like how the second one sounds better than the first. In Overflown Arrogance, I'm not fond of that second rhythm, which plays in the beginning and extends throughout the song. Remnant Rekindler gives me a Transylvania feeling that I enjoy.

As for what genre...don't quote me on this, but I'm thinking it might be chiptune. Specifically, number 3: music that combines PSG sounds and modern electronica/EDM music styles.

Yolo400
Regular
Completed: Lifted Dreams
Projects: ----

#7 Post by Yolo400 »

Howdy Weonix

I am Yolo400.

I recommend turning your levels down (that's the sound of each audio track).
The drums sound like slapping my nether regions on hard stone without the resulting cries of pain.
The organ is a huge multitimbral instrument.

I wouldn't say that you have many problems with the notation, it might feel a bit inhuman (try automating tempo)

Overall very nicely sounding.
Working on project "Lightning Cat" - Writing
music for sale
|| Thank you ||

Weonix

#8 Post by Weonix »

Thanks for all the helps!

Dreamgazer,
What do you think is the problem of that second rhythm? Does the rhythm not fit the main melody well? Is it a problem with the sound? Or does it just do not add much value to the track?

If the problem is about the track's value, here is a quick edit with that part simply removed (If I correctly understand which second rhythm you are referring to), definitely need a lot more editing if I were to go with it. I am currently still a bit too familiar with the old version, but feel free to have a fresh listen. For now though I think I will try to rearrange the part first.
https://soundcloud.com/weonix/overflown ... emp-edit-1

It is interesting that you would classify them as chiptone, since I didn't not use any PSG or similar thing. I had also thought that EDM may fit in term of style, but then a lot of the instruments are "classical" ones .

Yolo400,
The drums are free samples I found online (http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/04 ... 9-samples/), these type of sounds seems to be common among electronic music, but I guess you do have a interesting way to describe it. :)

Automating tempo is probably a good idea, I will definitely look into it.

Edit: Me forgetting the link.