Looking for feedback! :)

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
DarkVibeGames

Looking for feedback! :)

#1 Post by DarkVibeGames »

Got bored and made some tunes that I might use in a VN I've been working on. Each song on this "EP" (if you will) has a different style and tone. I'm also pondering doing commissions if there's interest, so I guess I'm also trying to see if people would be into that. Give me any kindness/meanness/constructive criticism that you may have!

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/manchilddvg

Ziassan
Veteran

Re: Looking for feedback! :)

#2 Post by Ziassan »

The tracks are quite nice, I'll focus on what I feel could be improved.

Pulsate : I understand what you want to bring with the reptitive hi-hat but its sound is too harsh to be that loud & that often at the same time. Either soften it or make it a bit more discret. I'd also say to reduce the reverb on the "low/bass" part after 1:30 since reverb on that kind of low-pitch sound isn't great.

Lost in Slumber : the transition in the middle could be smoother if the piano also slowly went lower & lower. Maybe the song could be slightly longer sinve it's quite slow, the second part feels really short, like half the part is the build up and then it ends fast.

Duel Of Fates : I really like this one, it has a kinda Umineko-ish thing. Nothing else to say aside, maybe, from the (too) repetitive chords measure in the back but it's probably intended.

DarkVibeGames

#3 Post by DarkVibeGames »

Ziassan wrote:The tracks are quite nice, I'll focus on what I feel could be improved.

Pulsate : I understand what you want to bring with the reptitive hi-hat but its sound is too harsh to be that loud & that often at the same time. Either soften it or make it a bit more discret. I'd also say to reduce the reverb on the "low/bass" part after 1:30 since reverb on that kind of low-pitch sound isn't great.

Lost in Slumber : the transition in the middle could be smoother if the piano also slowly went lower & lower. Maybe the song could be slightly longer sinve it's quite slow, the second part feels really short, like half the part is the build up and then it ends fast.

Duel Of Fates : I really like this one, it has a kinda Umineko-ish thing. Nothing else to say aside, maybe, from the (too) repetitive chords measure in the back but it's probably intended.
Nice feedback man! Really helpful, I appreciate it! It means a lot to hear it from someone with some experience in this field too haha

PurpleMind
Regular
Completed: I contributed to 22 visual novels so far!
Projects: Kosmos Connections, Black Heaven, The Inn Between, Sugar Service, Driftwood, The Glass Coffin, Heart Agency
Discord: Marek Domagała#1778

#4 Post by PurpleMind »

Ziassan wrote:The tracks are quite nice, I'll focus on what I feel could be improved.

I have the same feelings. In Pulsate, I'd definitely bring the hi-hat down a bit, for sure in volume, perhaps in highest frequencies too, and bring up the middles and lows for it to sound richer. I liked the chiptune solo though. Cool idea.

Trials and Tribulations has nice drums! Nice piece in general.

Lost in Slumber presents an interesting idea, the latter part and the transition are both eye-(ear-)catching.

Duel of the Fates reminds me of Street Fighter series' music, particularly Sagat's theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcmQ3-ut-n0
Your piece is good, but I would work on drums. They're usually the biggest pain in the butt.
Also, did you know that this title has been used in John Williams' Star Wars: The Phantom Menace? It's an incredible piece, I can not recommend it enough.

Overall, quite good work as for someone who has never done this kind of stuff. Keep it up!
Good luck!

DarkVibeGames

#5 Post by DarkVibeGames »

PurpleMind wrote:

I have the same feelings. In Pulsate, I'd definitely bring the hi-hat down a bit, for sure in volume, perhaps in highest frequencies too, and bring up the middles and lows for it to sound richer. I liked the chiptune solo though. Cool idea.

Trials and Tribulations has nice drums! Nice piece in general.

Lost in Slumber presents an interesting idea, the latter part and the transition are both eye-(ear-)catching.

Duel of the Fates reminds me of Street Fighter series' music, particularly Sagat's theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcmQ3-ut-n0
Your piece is good, but I would work on drums. They're usually the biggest pain in the butt.
Also, did you know that this title has been used in John Williams' Star Wars: The Phantom Menace? It's an incredible piece, I can not recommend it enough.

Overall, quite good work as for someone who has never done this kind of stuff. Keep it up!
Good luck!
I appreciate the feedback, dude! You've got some pretty nice pieces yourself! :wink:

PurpleMind
Regular
Completed: I contributed to 22 visual novels so far!
Projects: Kosmos Connections, Black Heaven, The Inn Between, Sugar Service, Driftwood, The Glass Coffin, Heart Agency
Discord: Marek Domagała#1778

#6 Post by PurpleMind »

DarkVibeGames wrote:I appreciate the feedback, dude! You've got some pretty nice pieces yourself! :wink:
Why thanks! My Soundcloud page is very rusty, though I'm going to refresh it up very soon.