Chiptune and chip emulation

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
chlorofinite
Regular
Projects: Cicada
Organization: Sweet Rose Tea

Chiptune and chip emulation

#1 Post by chlorofinite »

Expect a little bit of gushing, my apologies.

I'm really fond of chiptune, particularly FM music like Genesis and PC98 music, but waves are good too, nice and simple. But I like to be all technical about it, like it bugs me when people use stuff like The NES Soundfont mixed with The Ultimate Mega Drive Soundfont or whatever really and call it chiptune. No, no, no. It's like making a video game sprite with however many colors and calling it 8-bit, it's the same thing, you know? It's fine, it's just... not what you're calling it. I'm not fond of sampling from video game soundfonts in my own works, but it works for some people, and that's cool.

Anyway (excuse my rambling), though I've taken to working with the various systems in Deflemask nowadays instead of FL Studio, I've only today discovered that there exists a tool called Hoot Voice Ripper, which can be used with Hoot (a PC98 music emulator) to rip the instruments from OPN music, and those instruments can be exported to certain formats, including the format for VOPM. So essentially, those Touhou instruments are now a thing. How accurate this whole process is is beyond my comprehension of the subject, but I like to think it's good enough.

But I was wondering how many people here liked chiptune? Since there are actually a good handful of VNs for old systems like the PC98. I myself enjoyed what I played of Shizuku, though to this day I haven't completed Mizuho's route and I probably need to play through the game again anyway because my understanding of the Japanese language is probably much better by now. (I also love pixel art, but that's another topic for another day.)
(insert after-post anxiety here)

QFuss
Projects: Tenkeiteki Tokyo, The Doomed Diner, Cat n Cavy

Re: Chiptune and chip emulation

#2 Post by QFuss »

Hi Chlorofinite,

I personally like Chiptune music, but I feel it is being applied on many games as a solution "just to be cool" so to say.

I like Chiptune best if it supports a game that reflects the design from that era (pixel art games or other simple grafics or even text based games)

Also I think that Chiptune works best if it gives the impression that it is being played on one system (just NES sounds or just Sega sounds) and not with combinations of multiple systems sounds.

Greetz:
QFuss