Question about music

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
TalrixTrinity
Regular
Projects: Asathera Chronicles, Name Pending
Organization: TalrixTrinity
Soundcloud: mateus-sephiroth

Question about music

#1 Post by TalrixTrinity »

I have begun creating music for my game and have placed an opening tune for the starting page. Since it's there, do I really need to put music throughout the entire game or can I just put it at key points? Would it really matter?

Here is a link to the song if you'd like to listen :3
https://soundcloud.com/mateus-sephiroth ... rs-opening
Last edited by TalrixTrinity on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't struggle you don't improve.

Desichan
Regular
IRC Nick: Desichan
Tumblr: Desichan

Re: Question about music

#2 Post by Desichan »

Honestly, I get the feeling this will really come down to personal preference. It's something to think about, like do you want different scenes to convey different feelings? Would you want something to be a constant tune to your game? I personally feel it could probably work either way.

In my book, it comes down to your vision of the game you wish to create, and how much you're willing to work on such a thing.

TalrixTrinity
Regular
Projects: Asathera Chronicles, Name Pending
Organization: TalrixTrinity
Soundcloud: mateus-sephiroth

#3 Post by TalrixTrinity »

Hmm, since it's my first then perhaps I shall just place it at key points and see how it is received. Don't know which you'll like more until you try, right? Thanks :)
If you don't struggle you don't improve.

CalypsoGames
Regular

x

#4 Post by CalypsoGames »

[deleted]
Last edited by CalypsoGames on Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kominara

#5 Post by Kominara »

Without information on the game, it's hard to say.

Most visual novels have the music playing >80% of the the time, so if you're up to composing that many tracks, then that's fine. Otherwise, you'll need to make sure that the writing's good enough to convey the emotion otherwise conveyed by the music.

In the end, it's all personal preference, and I wouldn't worry too much about it if you don't plan to sell your game.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#6 Post by Mammon »

I didn't make my own music and used CC instead, but I used a lot of music to convey a wide variety of different feelings and moods. Just for the category 'confident' I had about 12 songs with all kinds of sub-requirements to them from intensity to how much it provoked the reader. Does a game need that much music? Off course not, especially not when you're making the music yourself. And people can comment on the size of the game when filling it with too much MB's worth of music. It is useful to have multiple songs in different moods though, you don't want a cheery tune under an emotionally heavy scene.

I suggest you look at the different scene-size moods that your story has, and make at least a song for each one (that can't be substituted by a song from a different mood). F.e. If you have a happy scene, a calm scene and a scary scene, those will need three different songs. (If you can somehow make a song that fits all three moods, forget about your VN and become a millionair with that talent.)
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?