music and visual media

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

music and visual media

#1 Post by LeetMusic »

How much do listeners pay attention to the image associated with a song while listening? For example, if a heavy metal song has art from a teen girl oriented dating sim, are listeners less likely to take the music seriously as badass metal? Basically I'm wondering if I should strip all the images out of my demos, wondering if people are judging the art instead of the music.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: music and visual media

#2 Post by Mammon »

I tend to listen primarily to Nightcore as recreation music, where every song has an anime image of some kind. Even if the image itself is badass, it's still anime set to (sometimes literally your example of Heavy metal) music. Does it bother me? No, not really. Others might, but then we're talking about people who just need any notion of Japanese influences to be weirded out.

I actually prefer such a thing. If I see something like the band doing stuff for a music video or some 'deep symbolism' it can leave more of a negative impression than a still image. The reason I'm liking various songs is because I never saw their clips, bands and even genre before giving it a completely unbiased try. It might be possible that I would have never liked bands from internet favourites like Sabaton to more weird-first-impression bands like 'In this moment' if it weren't for there being no such first impression through Visuals.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

Re: music and visual media

#3 Post by Sonomi »

I personally don't pay attention to the visuals of a soundtrack unless I find it offensive (in which case, I will not go on to listen). When I listen to an album, mix, or demo, I'm usually doing other things rather than looking at the artwork anyway. Followed the link in your signature. Are those the songs you are referring to or...?