A list of required track ambiences to give our composer ?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Wee
Regular
Projects: Spacefur: Runaways
Organization: Studio Meh

A list of required track ambiences to give our composer ?

#1 Post by Wee »

Hello all !

So we've been working on a VN and we've got ourselves a videogame and radio plays composer. We're excited to be working with a bona fide professional.

However he's new to visual novels so he's asking for a list of track types we'd need. As in

Mysterious
Slow tension
Upbeat happy
Romantic
Sad Melancholy

Do you guys would have any pointers for a good list ? The vn is space Sci fi (but more firefly than star trek) and is about romance, friendship, drama, and trying to solve a fundamental interpersonal problem that's souring the mood among the crew. It's in my signature but I'm not here to promote so...

Thanks !
a VN about friendship, space, feelings, and all that's in between.

LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

Re: A list of required track ambiences to give our composer

#2 Post by LeetMusic »

Depends on the specifics of your game and story. Approach it from a game design perspective.

Yolo400
Regular
Completed: Lifted Dreams
Projects: ----

#3 Post by Yolo400 »

Send him as much visual novel music as you can.
Working on project "Lightning Cat" - Writing
music for sale
|| Thank you ||

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#4 Post by Mammon »

You would know that better than us as you know which scenes there are and what moods you want to create in them. Take a look at your scenes, imagine what mood you would want to set with the music, /either be very general or make it as specific as you can/, at the end of your tale see how long the list of songs is. If you were very general you hopefully have a do-able list. If you were very specific, start looking which moods could be combined and which scenes can also be done with another song until you get that do-able list.

I myself made a more slice-of-life ish story so my list wouldn't really work for your game, but my list of moods (for which I could actually find songs in creative commons): calm confident, calm happy, calm relaxed, dangerous, determined, depressing, happy, hyped, hyped happy, hyped confident, neutral, playful, romantic, sad, sad happy, tension, terrifying, tragic. All the songs that I collected and used could be categorised under one of these. Note that this is quite a list, that quite a few songs fell under multiple of these categories and that I didn't use some categories. Also note that my genre differed quite a lot from yours so some moods like 'exploration amazement' wouldn't be included in mine while you won't need plenty of my categories.

Alternatively, depending on how much your story resembles Firefly, you can watch that show/movie, specifically listen to the background music and categorise those songs and the mood that they create with the scene that these songs are in. Or do the same with VN that resemble yours.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

Some typical generic ones that are in most video games are stuff like:

Romantic/Heartfelt, Happy, Funny, Sad, Tense, Action scene (could be tense or heroic), Dark/Evil

Spacefur
Regular
Tumblr: studio-meh

#6 Post by Spacefur »

Hey, thanks a lot Mammon and SundownKid, that gave us a nice generic base to work from, you've been very useful guys that's exactly the type of starting point we needed <3