Looking for public domain Impressionist art

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Zalor

Looking for public domain Impressionist art

#1 Post by Zalor »

Hello everyone at Lemmasoft! This is my first time posting here, and I have an oddly specific question. Also, if I posted this thread in the wrong place, then I apologize.

I checked out the resource catalogue thread, and was very excited by all the free resources. However, I am looking for a very specific free resource. I was wondering if anyone could help point me to a good place that I could find impressionist paintings that are public domain.

Thank you, and I apologize for the odd request.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: Looking for public domain Impressionist art

#2 Post by YossarianIII »

I've had some success finding public domain art on Wikimedia. You'll want to be sure to check the license, though, because some of their stuff is for educational/personal use only.

Alternatively, if it doesn't need to be totally authentic, you could try finding public domain photos, and then just applying an impressionist-looking filter in a photo-editing program like PhotoShop or GIMP.

Image Image

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#3 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

The Getty Museum has digitally made available their entire collection of tens of thousands of paintings to the public:
The Getty makes available, without charge, all available digital images to which the Getty holds the rights or that are in the public domain to be used for any purpose. No permission is required.
You can find information about the program here and the paintings themselves here.

justcolorado
Regular
Completed: Experiment Gone Rogue, Caravan Of Saints, HeartBaked, Hipster Axe
Projects: Iragon
Organization: Repulse.com
Github: coloradostark

#4 Post by justcolorado »

I found artcyclopedia to be a pretty good starting point.
they have a bunch of deeplinks to other sites.

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/history/impressionism.html

also Wikimedia Commons

Zalor

#5 Post by Zalor »

Thanks guys! Filtering photos is a good idea, and I will probably have to resort to some of that stuff anyway. I'll also be sure to check out what The Getty Museum has to offer as well.
I found artcyclopedia to be a pretty good starting point.
they have a bunch of deeplinks to other sites.

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/history/impressionism.html

also Wikimedia Commons
Woah, that's a lot. This site seems to have compiled all the information and links I would need. Thanks!

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#6 Post by Mammon »

If you can find a painting of what you want it will obviously be better, but if not you could try Photosketch to convert a picture into brush strokes. I've used it for the backgrounds of my game and saw that it has a huge deal of possible styles and variables to play around with.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

#7 Post by LeetMusic »

Have you considered hiring a freelance artist?

Zalor

#8 Post by Zalor »

Mammon wrote:If you can find a painting of what you want it will obviously be better, but if not you could try Photosketch to convert a picture into brush strokes. I've used it for the backgrounds of my game and saw that it has a huge deal of possible styles and variables to play around with.
Thanks for the tip!
Have you considered hiring a freelance artist?
Haha, its more that I was in an art museum a few days ago and I thought it would be cool to use some of the art I saw and to make a short VN with it by adding a story and music. Most of the art was by people who are long dead, so I thought it would be pretty easy to find their stuff on public domain. That's why I at first was asking about public domain stuff. But since I am completely new to the VN development scene (I have been reading them for years tho), I do appreciate all the advice people are giving me.