How to make demo's for voice acting

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
tinyqueenart
Regular

How to make demo's for voice acting

#1 Post by tinyqueenart »

Hello!

I would love to try and voice act for some games.
I have a professional mic and all (used for youtube)
But I'm not sure what my voice is good for,
and how to find sample texts for it so I can show demo's!

any tips will help!

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How to make demo's for voice acting

#2 Post by indoneko »

I'm not a voice actor, but I presume you can use any script that you like, or make one yourself.
Long time ago I stumbled upon a voice demo which consist of nothing more than the word "Onii-chan", repeated several times in different expressions. Or laughing, in different personalities. Some people also tried voicing over certain song and movies. So, basically anything goes.

The important aspect of your demo, in my opinion, would be about showing your acting ability (in multiple role/situation/personality) and discovering the upper/lower limit of your voice range (i.e can you mimic a high-pitched kid's voice? or a man's bass-y voice?)
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

tinyqueenart
Regular

#3 Post by tinyqueenart »

indoneko wrote:I'm not a voice actor, but I presume you can use any script that you like, or make one yourself.
Long time ago I stumbled upon a voice demo which consist of nothing more than the word "Onii-chan", repeated several times in different expressions. Or laughing, in different personalities. Some people also tried voicing over certain song and movies. So, basically anything goes.

The important aspect of your demo, in my opinion, would be about showing your acting ability (in multiple role/situation/personality) and discovering the upper/lower limit of your voice range (i.e can you mimic a high-pitched kid's voice? or a man's bass-y voice?)
Thank you! that is helpful :)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#4 Post by sake-bento »

If you're not sure what your voice is good for, I'd recommend holding off on the demo until you can get comfortable with how you sound recorded. A good place to start is just to grab a book or manga and record yourself reading it out loud. Experiment with different voices for each character (even ones wildly outside your age range or gender). Listen back to the recordings and pick out the ones that seem promising. Work on those voices until you're comfortable with them. Read out loud even more. Listen to which emotions you're strong at and which might need work. If you can sound sad with ease, but happiness sounds fake, spend more time reading happy things or happy characters. Record everything. Listen back to everything.

Once you've nailed down a handful of voices you're comfortable with and reads that you're proud of, you can make your demo. Since you've already recorded everything while you were finding your voice, you've already got demo material! Pick out the samples you think best represent you and piece them together in about a one minute long track. Try to avoid using names and terms that are specific to a game so people can't immediately tell where your lines came from. As you get work, swap out those lines with those recordings until your demo is all your original work.