sound effects help or advise?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
jonbai4207

sound effects help or advise?

#1 Post by jonbai4207 »

Hey friends. So im working on my vn and im getting to the point where sound will be needed soon. Im wondering if there are any free programs out there i could use to make my own sound effects? I see this question alot and have been searching for a while myself. Im looking for something simple to make your basic sounds like rain, doors slamming shut ect. I know there are tons of sites that offer clips to download such sounds but id really like to make my own. Im looking for something that doesnt require me to go buy a mic to record the sounds but something i can create on my laptop. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: sound effects help or advise?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

Creating realistic sound effects... entirely from scratch? Sounds extremely hard if not impossible. There don't exist "basic sounds" that are easier to synthesize than others, sounds are sounds. Even hundred million dollar Hollywood movies have some dude in a warehouse closing doors and tapping shoes and then recording them. Freesound has thousands of completely free audio clips so I cannot fathom why you would need to go and make them.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

For noises its not too bad, but how are you going to replicate thunder, or a train, or a busy restaurant or a crowded street, or a shopping mall or the local pool etc.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

jonbai4207

#4 Post by jonbai4207 »

First thanks for the reply's so quickly. Yeah i guess when you put it like that it makes more since to just find them online. I just assumed there would be a program out there that already had these sounds premade or something that i could edit and work with myself but if not thats fine too. Im just trying to figure out what direction to take with the sound. Im doing the writing, art and programming myself so it would be cool to do my own sounds too BUT that sounds like to much work for just myself to take on. Again thanks for the reply's friends.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

Well, while it won't do everything (unless you master mixing and sampling), you could use Fruity Loops
The software is expensive, but the demo versions are still pretty good. Downside is you can't save projects so either leave it running and put your computer to "sleep" or do everything in one sitting.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

MarkusLappalainen
Regular
Completed: Several short films and games (including VNs)
Projects: A feature film, a short film and my own music
Organization: Audio Cabin from the North
Soundcloud: Markus Lappalainen

#6 Post by MarkusLappalainen »

I dont know if you found a software yet but you should check Reaper or ProTools First. Studio One has a free lite version too. Ableton Live Lite is free also. They are all very good for editing the sound. For recording, the easiest way is to get a hand-held device like Zoom.
Have a happy day! 8)
- Markus Lappalainen, composer & music consultant
Scoring Portfolio

Qwxlea
IRC Nick: qwxlea
Github: Qwxlea

#7 Post by Qwxlea »

Having once spent a week in a professional studio creating sound effects, from experience I can say: don't do it! Creating sound effects from scratch is a lot of (annoying) work to do right. Unless you are really into sound it will become a huge pain really quick. A small list of resources: There are plenty of other ones as well. Just search the forum. Just check the licenses.

If you still want to make at least some sound effects, I would just record them with my phone, or a usb-microphone and mix with audacity. This will keep your costs down. If you want to spend money, it is better to do it on art and proofreaders / editors (imho).

Success with your project!