What is the best way to learn musical theory and rhythm?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Horma
Regular

What is the best way to learn musical theory and rhythm?

#1 Post by Horma »

I'm scared of going to a group lesson to learn about music, because my starting level is below average. However, private lessons are expensive and learning on my own has always been difficult. I have taken some singing lessons and the instructor said that my singing was ok when he told me exactly when to start. I just can't count the rhythm in even the simplest songs and can't match notes to a sound. The reason why I wish to learn is that there are little melodies and songs that I've come up within minutes playing in my mind. They feel decent to me, but I have no way to translate them into real songs other than singing and humming.

Xandra
Regular
Completed: Band Camp Boyfriend
Projects: Band Camp Boyfriend
Tumblr: http://lovebirdgames.tumblr.com/
itch: lovebird-games
Discord: xandra42

Re: What is the best way to learn musical theory and rhythm?

#2 Post by Xandra »

I recommend trying piano. The instrument is great for gaining an understanding of music theory and you won't have to spend an insane amount of time learning to produce a good tone quality like you would with your voice or another instrument.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#3 Post by Katy133 »

If you want to start learning the piano from the ground up, you might find Pianu useful.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

D.ray
Regular
Completed: Lifted Dreams/Painting Your Skin/Garden Of Machines
Projects: Love Therapy /Heart of Thorns/Resurface
Tumblr: drayreedofficial
Soundcloud: drayreed

#4 Post by D.ray »

Books are your best friends. Especially if you know nothing about music theory, even the basics, like reading notes, or understanding time signatures. With some research you can buy beginner books that will cover all the basics. From there you can delve into other books that go into deeper explanations of different subject matters.

Youtube is also pretty decent, but I would still get a book to make sure you’re being taught correct information.

If buying isn’t an option, try the library.

I would also suggest getting a MIDI keyboard. Pair it with free piano software you can find online, and a Digital Audio workstation such as REAPER, which is free to try for unlimited use, or $60 if you decide to buy it, and you’re all setup. REAPER will be the software you record your piano performance into, or any ideas you have. It is also great for writing music into via MIDI, or music notation. You will have to learn it, but just search REAPER tutorials on youtube and you’ll find everything you need. There are other recording softwares, but IMO, they pale in comparison to reaper.

Just make sure if you purchase a midi keyboard that it connects to your computer via USB, otherwise you’ll have to buy an audio interface. You can also look for used midi keyboards and find deals in the $50 to $100 range. Maybe even cheaper if we’re talking less keys.

Anyway the keyboard is great for helping you understand theory as well implementing it and training your ears to listen for pitch.

I would also recommend getting a digital metronome. REAPER comes with a virtual one, but it’s more useful for recording than practice IMO. Metronomes are inexpensive anyway. Just go to any music store and you should find a decent one for 15$ or less. Then practice with it everyday, and eventually you’ll develop an internal rhythm that will help keep you in time when performing, or to identify other rhythms.

Aside from that, you can always google music theory forums, or courses. Or eventually work your way up to those group classes.
Get your Voice Over for games to sound the best.

LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

#5 Post by LeetMusic »

Try learning to play piano or guitar.

MarkusLappalainen
Regular
Completed: Several short films and games (including VNs)
Projects: A feature film, a short film and my own music
Organization: Audio Cabin from the North
Soundcloud: Markus Lappalainen

#6 Post by MarkusLappalainen »

Playing is probably the best way to internalize music. Studying theory helps you to understand music, which then helps you to perform/create and further internalize music. A great website is www.mymusictheory.com if I recall the adress correct. It follows the ABRSM program from ground up. ABRSM is probably most widely used and respected theory study format. In the end that doesnt matter. What matters is that you get the know-how.

In short get an instrument and start studying. There are no short cuts. Only hard work :)
Have a happy day! 8)
- Markus Lappalainen, composer & music consultant
Scoring Portfolio