Issue with Images in Adobe Premiere

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Mello-Knight
Regular
Projects: Band Camp Boyfriend
Tumblr: lovebirdgames

Issue with Images in Adobe Premiere

#1 Post by Mello-Knight »

Hey there, thanks for reading this! I'll cut straight to the chase...

I wanted to make a promotional video for my visual novel in Premiere to show off the sprites and introduce the voice actors. But when I imported an image, it would need to be blown up in size and would lose its quality, which is simply not acceptable. I did some research and tried a few solutions, such as:

-Messing around with the settings, like making it 720p, but no changes seemed to occur.
-Resizing the image in Gimp, but still wound up with the same results when I imported it.
-Tried online vectoring, but it just made the sprite look like it came straight out of a horror film.

So far the best thing I've tried to using the "Sharpen" effect to clean it up a bit, but it's still not 100%, which is disappointing. Does anyone else have some kind of solution?

Thank you in advance!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Issue with Images in Adobe Premiere

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

What kinds of effects are you wanting to achieve? GIMP has a plugin package called GAP that can create animations or other videos.

It needs to be downloaded and installed from the GIMP plugin registry.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#3 Post by Scribbles »

the original images might not be large enough to start with, and I'm not sure I know any way of making them look good if blown up (the best solution is to draw images at a larger scale to begin with I think), maybe you can adjust how they appear in your video? show smaller versions of them, maybe commission larger resolution images for promo material?
Image - Image -Image

Xandra
Regular
Completed: Band Camp Boyfriend
Tumblr: http://lovebirdgames.tumblr.com/
itch: lovebird-games
Discord: xandra42

#4 Post by Xandra »

I think our issue is actually opposite. The images are quite large and they look great in Ren'py at the same resolution settings (1920x1080) but for some reason when Mello imports them into Adobe premiere the program insists on shrinking them down. Since the images are high res, when they're shrunken down it results in the combining of pixels and loss of quality.
But when I imported an image, it would need to be blown up in size and would lose its quality, which is simply not acceptable.
To elaborate - basically it appears the images are being imported into the program pre-shrunk and making them bigger again doesn't restore the quality. She saw a suggestion somewhere that said she should make the images even bigger before importing them to solve this, but that didn't work. We're not sure if this issue is specific to Adobe Premiere or if it occurs regularly with other video editing programs.

Mello-Knight
Regular
Tumblr: lovebirdgames

#5 Post by Mello-Knight »

Hey guys, thanks for your feedback! We managed to solve it. :) We're using PSDs instead of PNGs, which Premiere seems to like a lot more. I'm so relieved!