How do you support music that you like?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

How do you support music that you like?

#1 Post by LeetMusic »

As a listener and fan would you be most likely to:

A) Back a crowdfunding project like Patreon / Kickstarter / IndieGoGo / GoFundMe etc.?

B) Buy digital track or album on iTunes or BandCamp?

C) Buy a physical CD or vinyl?

D) Do nothing? Stream for free, pirate the album, etc.

Not judging, just thinking about the best way to release and promote some visual novel oriented music. Thanks.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: How do you support music that you like?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

I buy CDs.
I will never buy digital music unless it is of the same or better quality to CDs, that is (true) 16 bit 48k wav at a minimum.

I don't really listen to music much though. I've had the same six CDs in my car for five years...
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#3 Post by YossarianIII »

Honestly, I resisted Spotify and bought CDs for a long time, but recently I've switched over to streaming almost 100%. The main thing I do to support musicians is going to live shows and occasionally buying merch. (Which I realize doesn't apply necessarily to VNs.)

Most likely for a soundtrack album, I would stream it on Spotify if it's available and Youtube/Bandcamp if it's not. Occasionally, I'll buy a Bandcamp digital copy of a really exceptional soundtrack album, or buy it as part of a package with a game. I'd probably be more likely to support a Kickstarter for a specific game than I would a Patreon for an individual musician, just because it's usually the game that sells me on the soundtrack, not vice versa.

FWIW, I'm someone who consumes a lot of music but only a small fraction of it is soundtracks (and only a small fraction of that fraction is from videogames). So I may not necessarily be the target audience.

Image Image

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

I would be most likely to buy the soundtrack on Bandcamp. Of course, I tend to only buy music that I'd want to listen to on my iPod, which is usually the upbeat kind, so I am a bit biased in that regard.