Video Editing Software Recommendations?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Video Editing Software Recommendations?

#1 Post by Katy133 »

I want to make a trailer for a visual novel, but the programme I've been using (OpenShot) crashes a lot and can't handle videos that are over 30 seconds long. I want to find a replacement.

I'm looking for a programme that has the following features:
  • Available for PC.
  • Layering/multiple video and audio tracks (meaning, you can layer images/videos on top of each other).
  • Animating layers (can animate a .png arrow on top of a video, etc)
  • Video blurring effects.
  • Can edit the opacity of images/videos.
  • Can add custom fade-ins/outs to audio.
  • Can scale videos.
Things I'd also like, but aren't required:
  • I'd like a small programme that can work on something like a laptop.
  • Can edit the video's speed (can fast-forward video).
  • Masking.
  • Chroma-keying/green-screen effects.
I'm also preferably looking for a free programme, as I want to practice video editing before I start buying things. If it costs money, or has different levels of cost (free vs costly versions), please note that.

Also, please tell me your experiences with the software. Thanks.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

Re: Video Editing Software Recommendations?

#2 Post by mitoky »

I would recommend Shotcut. Its a bit basic but its free and good.

I 'think' everything you listen above under the required features it can do. Personally i have been using it to make speedpaint and i like it very much. It's good to use even with 'not as good' pc's. So far i have had no problems with it either.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#3 Post by Katy133 »

Quick update: I'm currently using a free editing program called Kdenlive, and it's so far been very useful, easy-to-use, and doesn't freeze like OpenShot did. Kdenlive also includes different effects that you can drag-and-drop onto your video clips. I recommend it.

Here are two videos I've edited using Kdenlive:

ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#4 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

I'd also recommend Blender's VSE: https://www.blender.org

It is super small
it can edit the video's speed (can fast-forward video).
Extremely advanced Masking capabilities
Chroma-keying/green-screen effects.

Ill post some examples soon.

it is open source and free. Blender is best known for 3D but in my opinion its video editor is something that should be given a lot more attention. Especially in schools. why teach unknown paid software when free software is more powerful?

Here is a video with masking done by my elementary school students in Blender. It can also do chroma key :
[youtube]
https://youtu.be/AIQWIhjQ8DU
[/youtube]

Viggo Reed

#5 Post by Viggo Reed »

Katy133 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:33 pm Quick update: I'm currently using a free editing program called Kdenlive, and it's so far been very useful, easy-to-use, and doesn't freeze like OpenShot did. Kdenlive also includes different effects that you can drag-and-drop onto your video clips. I recommend it.

Here are two videos I've edited using Kdenlive:

New software for me, which I have not used before. I liked the result very much. Recently, more and more often I began to use the video editor from Movavi, which was recommended to me by my colleagues. It is very important for me that the video editor has a convenient and simple interface so that it functionally meets all professional standards. On this website you can read in more detail about Movavi products and about this editor as well. I like it because I can use it to create very cool backgrounds for my videos, set the aspect ratio for posting videos on Instagram, for example.

lsf22
Regular

#6 Post by lsf22 »

There are free and open source (FOSS) alternatives you can use. For example there is Olive. Another one I know and have used is OpenShot, but I ended up replacing that one with Olive instead.

Link to Olive: https://www.olivevideoeditor.org/

Here's a list of more free and open source video editing software
https://itsfoss.com/open-source-video-editors/