Picking the right music

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Westeford
Regular
Completed: 12 Hours to Die
Projects: Project Premonition
itch: westeford

Picking the right music

#1 Post by Westeford »

So I finished up my first draft and now proofreading. I'm curious about how you guys pick music for your games. Whether you make it yourself or get someone else, or use the creative commons assets.

I'm on the latter end of the spectrum. I'm using CC assets (Which are amazing if you haven't looked yet.)
So yeah, what kind of things do you do when picking music? Specifically for specific scenes.

What I do now is listen to the songs I picked that fits a certain mood and see how they fit in the scenes I pick. (Though sometimes it feels like some scenes change moods too quickly.)

Curtid21
Regular
Projects: "Destined" (Current Title)

Re: Picking the right music

#2 Post by Curtid21 »

Stella365 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:32 pm Personally, I make it myself. Exactly, you need to find out how a particular scene makes you feel and you create the music by keeping those feelings in mind.
2nd this. I know for sure I'm a very picky person when it comes to music and how they might fit to scenes in my project. But definitely choose music that fits the mood of the specific part of the story.
When you do so, it only serves to deepen the connection the reader has to a particular scene or even your work in general. It's probably not a coincidence that some of my favorite VNs also have some of the catchiest, memorable music. (Ex: Sunrider's intro; Long Live the Queen)
"Are you ready?"
Ready as I'll ever be.