VN inspired album "Hope and Despair" (Asking for feedback)

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
FulminisIctus
Regular
Projects: Mycorrhiza, LoveSick Darlings, Human Reignition Project, Episicava, Caladria Chronicles, Ah My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell, Cautionary Tale, Visual Novel Audio Pack Vol 1 and Vol 2

VN inspired album "Hope and Despair" (Asking for feedback)

#1 Post by FulminisIctus »

So, I recently released my album "Hope and Despair" and I would love to share it with you! It is split into two halves: One with the theme Hope and one with the theme of Despair. The Hope part consists of cute and electronic tracks, while the Despair part consists of dramatic and organic pieces. The split was inspired by Danganronpa, which has a similar theme with its OST consisting of cheerful and more VN typical pieces, while also having dramatic and despair inducing tracks. The voice actors Reichuu and Aldon Jacob, which you might know from other projects, also lent their voice for the Future Bass inspired track "Soda".

You can either listen to or buy the album on Bandcamp, CD Baby, Amazon or more; or you can stream it for free on YouTube Music, Spotify and Deezer!
Just follow this link: https://fanlink.to/HopeAndDespair

Let me know what you think, every bit of feedback would be highly appreciated! It seems like the fan favorites so far are Cotton Candy, Soda and Scissors. I would love to hear which ones you like the most!
I'm a composer and sound designer! You can find more info about my services - and if I'm free to take on a job at the moment - by viewing my commission doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i0Z ... sp=sharing)!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: VN inspired album "Hope and Despair" (Asking for feedback)

#2 Post by Zelan »

Hope and despair are pretty common themes for VNs, so it's really cool that you used them as the basis for the music. ^_^

Soda, Scissors, and Needles were probably my three favorites! I could see any of those 8 pieces being used in VNs, but for those 3 I felt like I could imagine a specific place to use the songs. Soda would be great for an opening video or a trailer for a VN, Scissors would be great for a chase scene or maybe a nightmare sequence, and Needles would have worked really well for a death or confession scene (even better for a scene that combined both).

I also just wanted to mention that the mixing on Soda was great - it's not easy to mix recorded voices, but you did a really great job of it. c:

FulminisIctus
Regular
Projects: Mycorrhiza, LoveSick Darlings, Human Reignition Project, Episicava, Caladria Chronicles, Ah My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell, Cautionary Tale, Visual Novel Audio Pack Vol 1 and Vol 2

#3 Post by FulminisIctus »

Zelan wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:43 am Hope and despair are pretty common themes for VNs, so it's really cool that you used them as the basis for the music. ^_^

Soda, Scissors, and Needles were probably my three favorites! I could see any of those 8 pieces being used in VNs, but for those 3 I felt like I could imagine a specific place to use the songs. Soda would be great for an opening video or a trailer for a VN, Scissors would be great for a chase scene or maybe a nightmare sequence, and Needles would have worked really well for a death or confession scene (even better for a scene that combined both).

I also just wanted to mention that the mixing on Soda was great - it's not easy to mix recorded voices, but you did a really great job of it. c:
Thank you! I can definitely see what you mean with the three being easy to imagine being used in specific places ^^
But man, a death and confession scene combo sounds pretty brutal. If I ever have to compose a piece for a scene like that then I know how to go about it now
I'm a composer and sound designer! You can find more info about my services - and if I'm free to take on a job at the moment - by viewing my commission doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i0Z ... sp=sharing)!

CatPalismia
Regular
Discord: temteno#2499

#4 Post by CatPalismia »

I really liked the whole soundtrack!
I thought it was very clever to have the songs go like a timeline: first came the hope and wonder, how future looked so fun and glimmering. After it came the despair and realizing own limits. The world doesn't work without burdens or taking responsibility - or that's how I interpreted it with the help of the cover image :D.

I really liked the smooth instrumentals and soothing atmosphere in the first songs. I love popping music so I guess I have a bias to it though. The 'Soda' track wouldn't really work as a soundtrack due to voice lines in it but I think it could be an amazing ending song. I think my favorite was the short 'Hope' track out all of them.

The last songs were really heavy and despairing: they really reminded me of a death or some other heavy emotions and I think you succeeded bringing the meant emotions in every song. As mentioned above, the despair songs really felt like they would fit into a death, betrayal or fight scene. Piano and light choir would maybe fit into apathetic, lonely scenes.

Overall the music was pleasant to ears and something that I would listen when I do my homework. Keep up the good work and good luck on future soundtracks!