Making your novel's trailer look good

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
umineko
Regular
Projects: Ikimashou!
Organization: Bagel Poutine
itch: umineko-chan.itch.io

Making your novel's trailer look good

#1 Post by umineko »

So, I've gotten to making the trailer for my visual novel, and I'm doing it myself! No need to hire expensive filmmakers! I am aiming to make it look professionally made, and from one of those cute & moe anime (or whatever you call them). I'm still working on the parts with the characters on-screen, so I'm seeking feedback on how to make it look better by then.

For anyone familiar with Adobe After Effects, I seek your word!

The OP song is タイフーンパレード, thanks to Losstime Life for providing the music.
"I like kemomimi and I cannot lie."

umineko
Regular
Projects: Ikimashou!
Organization: Bagel Poutine
itch: umineko-chan.itch.io

Re: Making your novel's trailer look good

#2 Post by umineko »

Here is a website where I sourced some of the transitions/transforms from:

It has professional-like elements, and they're completely free. Do note Adobe Ae requires a pretty powerful computer to implement some of these...

https://www.freevisuals.net/
"I like kemomimi and I cannot lie."

FulminisIctus
Regular
Projects: Mycorrhiza, LoveSick Darlings, Human Reignition Project, Episicava, Caladria Chronicles, Ah My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell, Cautionary Tale, Visual Novel Audio Pack Vol 1 and Vol 2

Re: Making your novel's trailer look good

#3 Post by FulminisIctus »

This looks really nice so far! One thing to look out for is the readability of the text. Oftentimes it uses a bright text color with a bright outline on a bright background. I can understand why it is the way it is since it's supposed to be cutes-y but I don't think its cuteness will suffer much from either making the outline black or making the text color darker. The text at 0:17 looks totally fine to me for example, it's usually just the bright blue text that's difficult to read.
I'm a composer and sound designer! You can find more info about my services - and if I'm free to take on a job at the moment - by viewing my commission doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i0Z ... sp=sharing)!