Comments on Tales of Lemma 1

This is where all the old Lemma Soft-specific posts are (i.e. Tales of Lemma 1, Shoujo Attack!, and some Hanafuda Club). They are here for old times sake ^^
dDave
dDate Sim dDeveloper

Comments on Tales of Lemma 1

#1 Post by dDave »

Howdy,

Some comments:

1) The flash on the choice buttons is too strong - it needs to be toned down.
2) There should be some sort of framing box around the input where you type your name. Currently you have no visual UI cue that input is expected.
3) There should be a "exit" or "back to game" button in the options panel rather than a right click to exit.
4) The speed options make the game work great on my creaky old 350mhz athlon II.

Best,

Dave
dDave
subStandard boketeOru renAi deVeloper

ozurr
Regular

#2 Post by ozurr »

Nice game. Only thing I have to add to what dDave said is:
The silence in the pit breaks the mood of the game. You might want to consider adding some music that gives a sense of danger or distress.

One other thing. The fight scene just pops in there without much in the way of explanation and I wasn't sure if the mushrooms were attacking or if we decided to just attack them.

Ok, another one other thing. :)
How about being able to right-click on the text box to clear it off the screen so people can get a better look at the CG and a click on the screen to bring it back.

Overall, great job you guys!
-ozurr

ozurr
Regular

#3 Post by ozurr »

Hey, Blue Lemma,
what compiler, IDE did you use to write this game?

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#4 Post by Blue Lemma »

Thank you for the feedback :) Clearing the textbox will be an option in all the future games, so don't worry 8) I'll note the other comments as well.

I developed the game using Dev-Cpp (a free IDE) and MinGW32 (a free C++ compiler). I also made use of the Allegro programming library. Everything I used is in the credits and readme file for the game, if you want more detail. Basically, the game was developed with good free stuff, and I am proud to offer the game for free as well :)

ozurr
Regular

#5 Post by ozurr »

Blue Lemma wrote: I developed the game using Dev-Cpp (a free IDE) and MinGW32 (a free C++ compiler). I also made use of the Allegro programming library. Everything I used is in the credits and readme file for the game, if you
My bad. I read the readme but I seem to have forgotten it was in there.
Guess I'm geting senile in my old age. :)

I've got dev-cpp too. It's nice. I have a novice level of C knowledge
and not much c++ and haven't really used it much.
I've messed around with sdl some, but haven't checked out allegro yet.

dDave
dDate Sim dDeveloper

#6 Post by dDave »

Howdy,
ozurr wrote: How about being able to right-click on the text box to clear it off the screen so people can get a better look at the CG and a click on the screen to bring it back.
Hey Lemma, how about right clicking to get the panty shots? It would save playing time! :lol:

Best,

Dave
dDave
subStandard boketeOru renAi deVeloper

The Dark One

Re: Comments on Tales of Lemma 1

#7 Post by The Dark One »

dDave wrote:Howdy,
3) There should be a "exit" or "back to game" button in the options panel rather than a right click to exit.
4) The speed options make the game work great on my creaky old 350mhz athlon II.

Best,

Dave
I definately agree with 3 and 4. Overall this is a great game, you did a great job you guys. :)
~ThE dArK oNe~

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

No keyboard control = bad

#8 Post by chronoluminaire »

It's irritating that you have to click the mouse to advance lines of conversation. It'd be good to allow SPACE or RETURN to be equivalent to clicking the mouse button, even if you still have to reach for a mouse for the choices.

Bizarrely, in fact, it appears that even software emulation of mouseclicks doesn't let you step through conversation. I've never seen that before, even with a commercial (bad) bishoujo game where they didn't provide a keyboard control option. I don't know how you're checking for mouse clicks, but it seems pretty low level... would it be possible to use a higher level of abstraction or some Windows API?

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#9 Post by Blue Lemma »

I'll probably include more keyboard support in my next games. Thanks for the heads-up.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

Japan or America?

#10 Post by chronoluminaire »

Oh yes, one other thing which bothered me briefly playing through TOL 1. I found myself keeping on wondering where it was set: Japan or America?? The street names and culture seemed to suggest USA, but the college name and Miko's name (amongst other things) suggest Japan. It felt a bit caught-between-two-worlds. Just my 2 British pence ;)

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#11 Post by Blue Lemma »

The idea behind ToL is that it takes place in a sort of Japanese-American world. :) I figured that makes sense because I'm Japanese American and this way I can pick and choose the elements from both cultures that I like. Also, I like to throw in oddities and magic! So if you feel in between the two cultures, then I did a good job. <pats self on back> :P

Eiji
Regular

#12 Post by Eiji »

I'm Japanese American and this way I can pick and choose the elements from both cultures that I like. Also, I like to throw in oddities and magic! So if you feel in between the two cultures, then I did a good job.
how interesting... in my project I was going to have a mix of technology and magick...