Hanafuda Club Demo Released!

This is where all the old Lemma Soft-specific posts are (i.e. Tales of Lemma 1, Shoujo Attack!, and some Hanafuda Club). They are here for old times sake ^^
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#31 Post by Blue Lemma »

monele wrote:I hope Blue doesn't mind me telling ^^;...
I don't mind, although I can't say Lemma looks too thrilled about it ^_^;

Lemma: >_<;

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#32 Post by musical74 »

But, Lemma, as offical spokesperson for LemmaSoft, you have an obligation...

It will be easier as I pay more attention to YAKU! cards...Lemma plays tough! I did like that someone who shall remain nameless made a cameo appearance too. Just wondering...will Gaji play as much of a role in the finished version as he does here, or....?
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#33 Post by monele »

Blue Lemma wrote:I don't mind, although I can't say Lemma looks too thrilled about it ^_^;

Lemma: >_<;
Ack ! :shock: ... I'm so sorry Lemma @_@... Can you believe I just meant to help and didn't even realize what it led to ? :?

Berri

#34 Post by Berri »

musical74 wrote: Just wondering...will Gaji play as much of a role in the finished version as he does here, or....?
I was wondering that as well. Gaji was hilarious...I loved him! The fact that he was wearing a Hawaiian shirt was really funny.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#35 Post by Blue Lemma »

monele wrote:Ack ! :shock: ... I'm so sorry Lemma @_@... Can you believe I just meant to help and didn't even realize what it led to ? :?
Lemma says she forgives you, but she still looks embarrassed ^_^;

*gives Lemma a cookie*

Gaji will be in the full version, but won't have as many lines proportionally as he does in the demo. There are more girls in the full game, after all, so we can't have him hogging all the dialogue :wink:

Berri

#36 Post by Berri »

But more importantly, does Gaji get naked strip, too? :twisted:

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#37 Post by Taleweaver »

Yay! A neat little game, easy to learn (though with a huge luck factor), combined with a little dating sim mechanism? I like it! A nice change from the more serious VNs that this site has seen so far (including my own). Graphics are very neat so far; I'm really looking forward to the full game.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Unicorn
Regular

#38 Post by Unicorn »

First of all:
Thank you very much Blue, for again coming out from behind - just like you did back then with Shoujo Attack.

I am sure, the full version will be even more fun, but the demo gave me already a nice impression - particulary the two differnt play-modes that you implemented: one-on-one with lemma and three players in the "play Hanafuda"-section are a nice feature. May I assume that in the full version, there will be also a four player-mode? Even though I doubt that with four players, any Yaku will ever happen... ^^;;;

However, I also want to give you a few advices for the full version - particulary regarding the included tutorial, because I was pretty much confused after I read it just once. I think you should point out a few things that are obvious as soon as you have played the game once, but are missing for total beginners (and that's the group that I would suppose the tutorial targets):

1.) The player has only the cards on the hand that he is dealt in the beginning. No additional cards will be drawn to his hand and during every turn, the player plays a card from his hand. Thus, the amount of turns in a game equals the amount of cards that are initially dealt to the players.

2.) The table-cards are replenished from drawn-cards that didn't match any othet table-card and cards that players discard from their hands when it's their move. It is POSSIBLE (and happened several times to me) that there is no table-card at the beginning of a player's move, and thus the player is FORCED to discard a card from his/her hand!

3.) The tutorial mentions that every Yaku is 50 points each, but it is really just a single line that is easily missed among all the other lines of text.
How about adding that strategic info to the included Yaku-sheet?

4.) Instead of describing the drawing from the pile as a bonus-move, how about integrating them in the description: a tactical draw from the hand plus a random draw from the pile that make up a player's turn?

5.) The tutorial mentions the strategical value of the Yakus, but it would also be nice to include the info that they accumulate automatically among the point-related cards that are collected in the player's area and the game announces it as soon as a Yaku is completed.

6.) The tutorial should at least also introduce the area in which all the played cards without points are deposited - because it is a great help for strategical playing - as much as using a strategy is possible because the blind draw makes the game 50% random anyway...

... and regarding the game-engine, I also have two suggestions:

1.) Instead of just making the game say "Yaku" as soon as one is completed, it would be nice if the game would tell which kind of Yaku has been completed - or even better if the cards that make up the Yaku get marked with a colored border in the player's area! Combining both visualisations of Yakus would also make every human player quicker more familiar with the Yakus and their names.

2.) You may want to double-check, if the engine handles the cases of double-Yakus correctly. I didn't manage to make one happen while playing the demo, but it may be a displeasing situation if it occurs during the finalized game and the player looses because the game awards 50 points less than actually achieved. I talk here about the (rare) case if a player gets the last cards that completes two yakus at the same time - as for example possible in the first two Yakus in the left column if the other four cards are alreay in the player's possession and he finally gets also the boxed flowers... Sorry if you already covered that case in your coding, but I saw potential for a BAD flaw in this possible though unlikely situation...

I hope my comments were of any help and I look forward to the full version ... and also to what is triggered by the __________.txt-file! :twisted:

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#39 Post by Blue Lemma »

Thank you for your thoughtful comments :D I'll remember them when I update the tutorial for the full version. Yes, you are right in assuming there is a four-player mode. Also, the double yaku case is handled correctly, so don't worry :wink:
Highlighting yakus is a very good idea, in particular. I was thinking about it during development, but I was too lazy (er, I meant other things were of higher priority...yeah, that's it) :P I'll probably put it in the full version, though.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#40 Post by Alessio »

Very nice artwork! Haven't ever heard of Hanafuda, but it's definitely motivating me to try learning it... ^_-

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#41 Post by mikey »

Alessio wrote:Very nice artwork! Haven't ever heard of Hanafuda, but it's definitely motivating me to try learning it... ^_-
Ah! So I am not alone being completely new to the game ^_^

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#42 Post by monele »

And that'd be three of us. Actually, *who* knew the game before? :)

Jake
Support Hero

#43 Post by Jake »

monele wrote:And that'd be three of us. Actually, *who* knew the game before? :)
Hmm... I'd heard of it 'cause of the Nintendo connection, but I certainly had no idea what the rules were 'til a few days ago. ;-)

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#44 Post by DrakeNavarone »

There's a pretty cool Hanafuda minigame thing on Fate Hollow Ataraxia... But I had no idea how to play it (or what it was called) until I played through this demo...
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#45 Post by F.I.A »

Ah Hanafuda... one of Japanese hard-to-learn but fun to play card games. Now we shall wait to see if there is a Lemma Mahjong Club.

... No, you got it wrong. I am not asking for it. Negative! Nil! Zero! :x

... Okay, I lied. I am one heck of a mahjong freak. :wink:
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)