Can't unzip ToL

This is where all the old Lemma Soft-specific posts are (i.e. Tales of Lemma 1, Shoujo Attack!, and some Hanafuda Club). They are here for old times sake ^^

Can't unzip ToL

#1 Post by Guest »

When I get to the Allegro part when I'm unzipping the file, when I click on locale it says error reading keyboard.dat then error reading language.dat
so when I just click on next in the setup it won't unzip the file it will just start the whole process over again.

Help?

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding you... All you need to do is take the ToL1.zip (or whatever it's called) from here and then extract the files to an empty directory. You shouldn't have to mess with Allegro or anything like that. If you still get errors, you might try re-downloading it. :?

#3 Post by Guest »

While I'm extracting the file Allegro comes on. How do you skip over Allegro? I've also tried re-downloading it but it does the same thing.

Grey
Veteran

#4 Post by Grey »

Odd error :?

What OS and winZip version are you running?

And what do you mean by "when I just click on next in the setup"? I didn't think there was a setup file for the game was there Lemma? I remember just extracting all the files, then running Tales of Lemma 1.exe and it worked...

Herumutsu
Regular

#5 Post by Herumutsu »

It sounds to me like whatever program/tool you are using to open the zip-archive detects the word "Setup" in "Allegro Setup (optional).exe" and executes this file without asking.

It tries to run the setup, but since not all needed .dat-files are actually being extracted into the temporary directories, it doesn't work.
That's why it says "error reading ***.dat" - the file simply was not extracted.

The solution? There has to be an option in the program you are using, for it to ignore the words "setup" and/or "install" so it doesn't automatically execute the file anymore. If there isn't, you may want to consider using something else for handling zip-archives, as this can pose a pretty serious security-risk when handling archives with unknown content.

A quick solution? Don't double-click the .zip-file, right-click it instead. There should be an option to "extract to..." or "unzip to...", which should definitely not run any files, but extract them all instead. Extract them to wherever you will be abe to find them and run "Tales of Lemma 1.exe" to start the game.

Any further questions? Don't hesitate to ask.

Also, let us know if/how things work out.

#6 Post by Guest »

Right-clicking and extracting to a file worked.

Thanks Herumutsu.

Herumutsu
Regular

#7 Post by Herumutsu »

You're welcome. :)

Glad everything worked out nicely after all - now have fun. 8)

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#8 Post by Blue Lemma »

Wow - I come back and the forumites have already fixed the problem! :shock:

You guys are the best! 8)

(I have to admit, Herumutsu, I probably wouldn't have thought of what you said for quite a while ^_^)

Herumutsu
Regular

#9 Post by Herumutsu »

It is my pleasure to have been of help with my amazing support-skillz. 8)