Scite on Windows clobbers files

This is where all the old Lemma Soft-specific posts are (i.e. Tales of Lemma 1, Shoujo Attack!, and some Hanafuda Club). They are here for old times sake ^^
Hentai Senshi
Regular

Scite on Windows clobbers files

#1 Post by Hentai Senshi »

In Linux, using 'Edit script' when the script files are already open just foregrounds Scite. In Windows, Scite reloads the files off the disk, silently clobbering any unsaved changes made to them.
Project statii:
Yuri no Yume: Wet Night: Released!
Tentacularity: Released!
LoliFindsKitten: AlphaBetaThingy...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Scite on Windows clobbers files

#2 Post by PyTom »

Pardon me while I go and bang my head against the table. Repeatedly.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

herenvardo
Veteran

#3 Post by herenvardo »

Conclusion: save your files.
Alternative: Use Ctrl+Tab, or use the button on Windows' taskbar to bring back the editor instead of re-launching it from the launcher.

I guess as soon as PyTom comes back from banging his head against the table he'll start working in a solution, but take in account that this is partly a behaviour of Scythe; and controlling it from the Ren'py launcher might be quite difficult (if possible at all). Scythe is open-sourced, so it should be possible to modify it to alter this behaviour, but this doesn't seem the answer to me: as soon as a new version of Scythe comes out, it should be hacked again before being included in the Ren'py distro; not to mention that if somebody manually updates Scythe to the latest version it would overwrite the hack and bring back the issue. On one hand, I really think that the "save your files" suggestion is the best solution; but OTOH I also think that, ideally, Ren'py should behave the same way in all platforms.
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#4 Post by PyTom »

AFAIK, SciTE should be silently clobbering files on both Linux and Windows. This is because I'm asking it to do a revert, to re-open files when they are open already. This is the right behavior for files like lint.txt and errors.txt, where you always want to get the latest version of the files.

I'm not sure what the right solution for this is... if you have a file open, and open it from disk again, wouldn't you expect it to be clobbered?

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#5 Post by Counter Arts »

Well... it should clobber after a prompt at least and maybe a `do not show again` check box.

Man... why not just run the conosle
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

Hentai Senshi
Regular

#6 Post by Hentai Senshi »

PyTom wrote:AFAIK, SciTE should be silently clobbering files on both Linux and Windows. This is because I'm asking it to do a revert, to re-open files when they are open already. This is the right behavior for files like lint.txt and errors.txt, where you always want to get the latest version of the files.

I'm not sure what the right solution for this is... if you have a file open, and open it from disk again, wouldn't you expect it to be clobbered?
I usually expect a new window to open up with the on-disk version of the file a la Audacity
and Gimp, or for the app to ask if you're sure you want to revert.

Further poking shows that, at least under Linux, what it actually does is revert script.rpy on 'edit script' and leaving other open files in scite panes unchanged.

IMO, the ideal behaviour would be to have it clobber lint.txt/errors.txt/traceback.txt and just open without clobbering other files - I've made a stab at a patch, (EDIT) at http://hentaisenshi.com/transienteditor.diff
Project statii:
Yuri no Yume: Wet Night: Released!
Tentacularity: Released!
LoliFindsKitten: AlphaBetaThingy...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#7 Post by PyTom »

Good idea, I'll apply this to 6.6.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

FYI I actually like the clobbering.
I always use this sequence:
Code -> Save -> Launch -> Code new changes while playtesting current game, then repeat sequence
Microsoft Office products on the other hand confuse the hell out of me, like when I download a document off an email and couldn't quite figure out if the temporary file is the one being modified or something else. The solution would be to Save As... all the time.
I also find Audacity's behavior like Quicktime's, which isn't to my liking.